1987 5.0 Front Brake upgrade info

Old March 7th 05, 12:48 AM
John Hale

Default 1987 5.0 Front Brake upgrade info

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my 87 GT Convertible front brakes. I
heard that this is possible. I would like to know if you can do this with
used parts or do you have to get new parts and what parts are exactly needed
to do this. I realize that you would probably need new brake pads, but what
about the rotors and other parts that are needed. Any help, info or links to
websites for parts or procedure would be a great help!! Thanks in advance!
John

Old March 7th 05, 02:54 AM
Mark C.

Upgrade to some high qualiy rotors and pads in front and add rear disks and
a better master cylinder.

--
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?".

I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Old March 7th 05, 03:27 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Try this site: http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

Old March 7th 05, 08:07 AM
ironrod

A 73mm caliper from a Lincoln LSC or Crown Victoria will bolt right up,
depending on the size of your master cylinder you might have to upgrade that
as well. In my case I upgraded the rear brakes on my 88GT with the SSBC
rear disk conversion kit, (essentially stock Turbo Coupe rear rotors and
calipers along with a larger master cylinder and some hardware) the upgrade
helped in the braking department but the peddle effort became uncomfortably
high, switching to the larger front calipers dropped the peddle effort back
down to where it belonged.

Old March 7th 05, 02:00 PM

I did the 73mm caliper upgrades to an 87, and it was worth it. I would
strongly suggest going to a bigger master cylinder.

Old March 7th 05, 02:11 PM

Oh, and I used the instructions from the website below to do the
conversion (cred to MJ in the thread below).

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

Old March 7th 05, 04:57 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

I did the front brake conversion to '94+ brakes. I need to install the
master cylinder as the brakes are a little spongy with the stock MC.
Even with the soft pedal it stops much better than the stock front brakes.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

Old March 9th 05, 02:51 PM
John Hale

Did you replace your brake hoses with SS?? And if so, how much of a
difference does it make??
Thanks

> wrote in message ...
>
> I did the 73mm caliper upgrades to an 87, and it was worth it. I would
> strongly suggest going to a bigger master cylinder.
>

> ironrod wrote:
> > A 73mm caliper from a Lincoln LSC or Crown Victoria will bolt right up,
> > depending on the size of your master cylinder you might have to upgrade

that
> > as well. In my case I upgraded the rear brakes on my 88GT with the SSBC
> > rear disk conversion kit, (essentially stock Turbo Coupe rear rotors and
> > calipers along with a larger master cylinder and some hardware) the

upgrade
> > helped in the braking department but the peddle effort became

uncomfortably
> > high, switching to the larger front calipers dropped the peddle effort

back
> > down to where it belonged.
> >
> > "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Try this site: http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

> > with

> > needed

> > what

> > links to

> > advance!

Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM
Front Brake pad replacement 2003 Town and Country TC Dantanna Chrysler 8 December 22nd 04 08:13 PM
'66 Brake Upgrade .boB Ford Mustang 1 December 21st 04 06:29 PM
Front Brake pad replacement 2003 Town and Country TC Dantanna Chrysler 0 December 19th 04 06:12 PM