Bad Tires?

Old January 27th 05, 08:32 PM
tfandango

Default Bad Tires?

Hi There-

I've got a 2000 XLT and got 5 free Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires at 35K
miles due to the whole Firestone calamity. Over the last 20K miles or
so, the driver's side front tire has developed a WHOP WHOP WHOP sound
that is loudest at 35MPH and is noticable until about 65MPH.

Rotation seems to help for a while, but the rotated tire eventually
starts to make the sound too. I've had it aligned as well.

The Ford dealer told me one day that this was not unusual for the ATX
tread, since it's a mud/offroad tire. I was happy with that, because I
can deal with an annoying sound if it's not going to kill me.

The next day, he tells me the belts in both driver's side tires are bad
and I should "think about some new tires". Now this is the same guy
who told me everything was normal and my tires "look just fine" the day
before. So I'm skeptical and want to verify his claim that the RT/S
tires can make this sound, or if I may really have bad tires!
Thanks!
troy

Old January 27th 05, 09:29 PM
M Hoaglan

get michelin tires,,
oups.com...

Old January 27th 05, 10:04 PM
Jonah

If you do some searching thru the group archives, you'll find lots of
people are unhappy with any Goodyear tires on an Explorer. Do yourself
a HUGE favor and upgrade to Michelins. You won't be complaining about
tires for the next 60-80,000 miles. I ditched my worn out Wranglers
after about 35,000 miles. The difference is remarkable. It's probably
the best investment in terms of safety and value I ever made for my
Explorer.

Old January 27th 05, 10:16 PM
Big Shoe

Personally, I don't take any chances with tires. If I have any reason
to think they are unsafe, I replace them right then. I agree with the
comments about Michelin. They performed very well on my '92 and on my
'99. My '05 has Goodrich, so far, so good (Michelin owns Goodrich).

Old January 27th 05, 10:40 PM
tfandango

Geez, sounds like I should have stuck with the Firestones!

Old January 27th 05, 11:55 PM
Scott Van Nest

I have an Exp Sport XL with the same tires. I have been thinking I have bad
front bearings from all the noise. I am going to be ****ed to find out it
is these sorry ass Wranglers. Mine are no where near low on tread. I have
had them on about the same 35,000 miles.

Scott
oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 02:48 AM
Michael MacMahon

There are tires, and then there are Michelins. 'Nuf said.

--
MICHAEL J. MacMAHON
Captain (ret.) KCPD

Remember, Golf is not a matter of Life or Death;
it is MUCH more important than that.

NOTE: All outgoing mail is scanned by McAfee Virus Scan for your safety.
oups.com...

Old January 28th 05, 03:03 PM
Hairy

"tfandango" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Geez, sounds like I should have stuck with the Firestones!

Check around and find a tire shop that has a *road force* balancer. If
you've got slipped belts, or any other defects, they will show up there.

Old January 28th 05, 05:26 PM
tfandango

Ahh, that sounds like a lead! Thanks a lot!