Detroit Vs Japan

Old May 27th 05, 02:50 AM
Scotty

Not a troll, Bill. If you would read what was written you would
plainly see that I did not say a coal mining company used a Toyota.
What I did say was that several real men and women who make their
living off the mineral industries that support our community choose to
spend their hard earned money on Japanese trucks. The local coal
mining company uses Ford and GM products. Maybe you should be a little
more attentive and a little slower to jump to conclusions and insult
people. You notice that I didn't call you an dickhead right out of the
gate. Sometimes you can be the most helpful person on this group, but
other times you seem short on ears and long on mouth. By the way, I am
happy you have had good luck with your Ford.

L=2EW. Hughes III (=DFill) wrote:
> What a troll! No coal mining Company, would every use a toyota:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den...=3D%22Coal+mi=

ning+Co.%22+%22toyota+truck%22&btnG=3DSearch

Old May 27th 05, 11:14 AM
Ruel Smith

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

> Everything you say is true. But what you are describing is a the beginning
> stages of a fundamental shift in global economics, and whining about how
> it affects the US economy simply isn't going to help. Trying to understand
> what to do to adjust to it will help. Because the world is no longer going
> to adjust to us. If you can't be bothered to understand that, you will be
> one of the ones left behind.

What I'm describing is going on because we are letting it happen. We've
opened our markets basically wide open, while other countries have kept
them basically closed to us. I'm not saying that protectionism is the way
to go, but consumer awareness of the widespread damage buying goods
manufactured outside the US can go a long way. I'm not one that says you
need to buy one of the big 3, because many of their goods are made
elsewhere while Toyota, Honda, and now Hyundai are providing jobs here.
Although, I think NAFTA was one of the biggest mistakes we've ever made.
Mexico had nothing for us to gain from except that now our companies can
produce the product there and sell it here without any repercussions. It
was just plain stupid.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 27th 05, 11:16 AM
Ruel Smith

Troy wrote:

> I've been thinking about this kind of stuff, trying to decide what to
> study in college...
> I'm great at computers and originally went in for a computer science
> degree, but since I've been wrenchin on this jeep I have been getting more
> interested in working on cars...
>
> Do you think being a dealership mechanic is a safe bet?

I would think so, at least for the forseeable future, but what I've
described is happening, and it'll be a matter of time before they start
using more and more Mexican immigrants to do that kind of work for less,
too.

I used to be a gung ho republican, but I'm beginning to see things
completely different. They seem to be slowly eroding our middle class.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 27th 05, 03:32 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Troy" <troy@ .> wrote in message
> Do you think being a dealership mechanic is a safe bet?

it all depends upon the lifestyle you want. is lower-middle class good
enough for you?

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old May 27th 05, 07:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Americans to Japan and Germany are as illegal aliens from Mexico
are to Walmart.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 27th 05, 09:37 PM
Ruel Smith

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> YourÂ*engineÂ*wasÂ*designedÂ*byÂ*NashÂ*inÂ*1927

Nash being a founding member of American Motors, along with several other
companies with small marketshare, I'm still correct that it was an AMC
design, though I didn't know the design was quite that old.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 27th 05, 09:44 PM
Ruel Smith

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> it all depends upon the lifestyle you want.Â*Â*isÂ*lower-middleÂ*classÂ*good
> enough for you?

Really? Hmmm... I knew some dealership mechanics and they made pretty good
money. $20+/hr on a flat rate = a handsome income. Most mechanics turned
around 80 book hrs. a week working a 5 day week from 8 AM to 5 PM, with an
hour lunch. Do the math: $20 x 80 = $1600 gross/wk = $83,200 per year while
working 40 hrs. a week. Like I said, $20 PLUS per hour FLAT RATE. Doesn't
sound like lower middle income to me... Of course, they were ASE certified,
and I'm sure they had other manufacturer specific certifications to boot.
They weren't typical chop shop grease monkeys.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 27th 05, 09:46 PM
Ruel Smith

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

> whining about how it
> affects the US economy simply isn't going to help.

BTW, who's whining about it? I only commented on the original post and after
several back and forth responses it turned into this conversation. It was
not a whine session, only informative.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 27th 05, 10:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You're right, those whom have already have made a fortune need not
worry, it's just the idea of being surrounded by traitors, that ****es
me off. I just wish Japan and Germany would buy a few more worthless T
Bills to drive up their interest rate.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 28th 05, 02:10 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Ruel Smith" > wrote in message
> $20+/hr on a flat rate = a handsome income.

$20 per hour = $41,600 per year GROSS = lower medium income.

> Most mechanics turned
> around 80 book hrs. a week working a 5 day week from 8 AM to 5 PM, with an
> hour lunch. Do the math: $20 x 80 = $1600 gross/wk = $83,200 per year
> while
> working 40 hrs. a week.

if you honestly believe _any_ dealership mechanic is making $83k a year then
you have no idea at just how ignorant you are to how it really works. for
starters, unless youve been there 15 years you arent going to see anywhere
near $20 an hour. assuming you do eventually see $20 an hour it isnt really
$20 an hour. manufacturers set how many hours they allow for a repair and
pay you accordingly. for example, they may authorize 1 hour for changing an
alternator even though it takes you 3 hours to change it. no matter how
long it takes, youre getting paid for that 1 hour they allowed. you might
know dealership mechanics who work 80 hours per week but you can bet your
scrotum that they arent getting paid for it.

> Like I said, $20 PLUS per hour FLAT RATE. Doesn't
> sound like lower middle income to me.

thats just because real life hasnt jumped up and kicked you in the nuts yet.
:-)

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com