NV4500 or AX5 in an 02 tj ?

Old June 22nd 05, 12:17 AM
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

Default NV4500 or AX5 in an 02 tj ?

I'm trying to figure out what transmission my 02 tj ( 4.0 5spd standard )
has in it and what fluid it takes. There are no tags on the thing , it does
have " NG " stamped on the side of it in several places but everything I see
here and on the web seems to suggest that since it is an 02 it must have an
AX 5 in it. From what I have found so far the AX 5 was in tjs up until 02
and then 03 they have NV4500's . The shifter assembly on the top of NV4500's
I found pictures of look exactly like what is atop my tranny (big square
plate with four bolts ) and not like the smaller round shifter assembly (or
whatever it's called) on the top of all the AX transmissions I found
pictures of. I bought the jeep new, the transmission in it is factory,
could it have a NV4500 in it ?

Anyone tell me how to tell exactly what tranny I have and what fluid goes in
it ? Gear oil ? Synthetic ?

Thanks for any help.

Farrell Christeson

Old June 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

Nevermind, it is an AX5 I wasn't looking at it right.

Farrell Christeson

Old June 22nd 05, 12:43 AM
Dave Milne

you mean "Never mind, it's an AX15"

:-)

(the AX5 is only used in the 2.5 litre 4 cylinder)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 22nd 05, 01:00 AM
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

Hmm... really hate it when my ignorance shows. Twice.

Thanks for pointing that out. Had them backwards.

Farrell Christeson

. uk...

Old June 22nd 05, 01:09 AM
Dave Milne

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smart arse !
Although at the risk of doing it again, you probably meant the NV3550 which
replaced the AX15 in ... emmm... around 2000 I think. The NV4500 is used in
3/4 ton Dodges and is a popular upgrade (e.g.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/yj1-nv45001.htm )

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old June 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Jeff Strickland

It has the NV 3550, if I remember correctly.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:42 AM
tim bur

it should be a nv3500

Old June 22nd 05, 03:03 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's a New Venture 3550 for the '02 six cylinder. Just use GL-3
(75W-90) but change it twice as often like when ever you forge a mud
puddle: http://www.billhughes.com/lubeSchedule.pdf
Check to see if your build ticket is still caught in your under
seat springs.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 22nd 05, 03:18 AM
Farrell Christeson

I didn't take it that way. I actually got the NV4500 info off some web
site , I guess they ment NV3550 and right now I'll believe anything I read.
I'm so inept when it comes to this stuff. The other day I started to have a
garage do it for me and I told them 'twice' it was a standard transmission
they told me 'twice' it would be $38.00 labor + the gasket , filter and
fluid.... I didn't 'think' a standard transmission has filter , I couldn't
figure out what the gasket was for, and $38.00 to unscrew a drain plug and
put it back in ? I wasn't confident enough in my knowledge (or lack of) to
argue the point so I decided to do it myself and then I would know if the
damn thing needed a filter and a gasket.

Farrell Christeson

. uk...

Old June 22nd 05, 03:27 AM
Farrell Christeson

It could be, but if a NV3550 looks like a NV4500 (I don't have that big
square bulge on the driver side of my tranny that the NV4500 has) then it
don't have . I'm pretty confident at this point that it has an AX15. I'm
going to fill it with Redline MT90 whatever it is and see if it blows up.
Well, that is as soon as I find some place that tells me about how much
fluid it takes in ounces or pints or quarts or gallons instead of " until it
runs out the fill hole " so I have some idea how much I need to order.

Farrell Christeson