Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 27th 05, 05:22 PM
Iggy

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:41:52 GMT, Timberwoof
> > wrote:
>
>>I do not agree with the idea that racking up lots of Brownie Points over a
>>spotless career would entitle one to make an "oh, ****" and get away with
>>a few
>>weeks without pay.

> Depends on how bad the "oh, ****!" is.
>
> Think back to when you were in school. If you did consistently well on
> all your homework, exams, etc., but you failed a quiz, would you flunk
> the class? Of course not - you'd just get a slightly lower point
> total, but your final grade would still be a good one.
>
> We learn this from our earliets years. Of course we expect this to
> continue as we grow older.

That is the dumbest analogy that I've ever read. Your homework, exams and
quizes don't result in the death of someone if you fail to pass them.

Old March 27th 05, 05:36 PM
RLK

"Tom D" > wrote in message

> Don't know if he was concious or not, but just wanted to point out that he
> wasn't all right. I don't disagree with your main point that if the
> trooper was having a bad day and was sorry, that he should have
> apologized.
>
> -=- Tom

In regards to the behavior of the 911 call trooper, the trooper was out of
line on the job and should be *demoted*, because he is a law enforcement
representative and should behave accordingly in the public eye.

I'd like to know if the young man was wearing a helmet. If he wasn't, then
he put his own life at risk, and it was no one's fault but his own. Just
yesterday, our local police stopped and admonished a young man on a street
bike for not having a helmet. They had a long talk and the police took a
helmet out of the police car for the young man to try on. If everyone had
safety education like this, everyone would be better for it.

Old March 28th 05, 12:33 AM
The Real Bev

jaybird wrote:

> Now back up just a second. If a citizen commits a crime for the first time
> they don't lock them up and throw away the key. If it's an offense other
> than a serious felony like murder, rape, etc., then the person doesn't
> always get jail time. Most often they'll receive probation or a light
> sentence.

More is expected of law enforcement officers, especially when it comes
to knowing responsibilities and obligations. It goes along with the
privilege (or necessity) of carrying a badge and gun. If the police
don't realize that they have no business being police.

> Understood, but we're not asking for sympathy. Certainly discipline him but
> don't fire him.

The dispatcher's action is the same whether the biker died or not.
Somebody screamed HELP US and the jerk whose job it was to provide help
hung up on him because he disapproved of motorcycle riders. ***If***
the rider had died as a result of this action, what should the
dispatcher's penalty be?

--
Cheers, Bev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 28th 05, 12:47 AM
G W Shrub

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message

> The dispatcher's action is the same whether the biker died or not.
> Somebody screamed HELP US and the jerk whose job it was to provide help
> hung up on him because he disapproved of motorcycle riders. ***If***
> the rider had died as a result of this action, what should the
> dispatcher's penalty be?

The trooper dispatched rescue promptly. I wonder what he knows of happenings
on that road?

--
GW

Old March 28th 05, 12:51 AM
Bo Raxo

"RLK" dashes_> wrote in message

> I'd like to know if the young man was wearing a helmet. If he wasn't, then
> he put his own life at risk, and it was no one's fault but his own.

And do you have the same attitude about people who don't wear a seat belt
and get in a car accident?

BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed him
the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
(the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home, and
wished me a nice day).

Bo Raxo

Old March 28th 05, 01:53 AM
RLK

"Bo Raxo" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "RLK" dashes_> wrote in message
>>

>> I'd like to know if the young man was wearing a helmet. If he wasn't,
>> then
>> he put his own life at risk, and it was no one's fault but his own.

> And do you have the same attitude about people who don't wear a seat belt
> and get in a car accident?

Oh most definitely I can't be sure what the other driver is going to do or
what situation is going to come up if I don't take charge or some
responsibility for my family's safety. When I took my pre-licensing course,
the instructor asked for a show of hands, who had their belt on only when
sitting in the front, only in the back, all the time or not at all, I was
astounded to see over half the classroom felt sitting in the back seat
didn't warrant a seat belt. Less than a handful of students wore seat belts
100% of the time.

> BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed
> him
> the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
> helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
> (the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
> commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home,
> and
> wished me a nice day).

Very cool. These are the stories I like to hear about. These are the people
in the public service (officers, road testers, driving instructors etc) who
like what they do for a living and have respect for the people they come
into contact everyday.

Old March 28th 05, 02:50 AM
John David Galt

jaybird wrote:
> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
> disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
> with that record, just based on a comment.

It's not just a comment, there's a tape of the two 911 calls to prove it.
And having heard the tapes I'd fire his ass in a heartbeat.
Old March 28th 05, 05:08 AM
Alex Hernandez

jaybird wrote:

> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
> disciplinary action.

Any disciplinary action would be part of his confidential
personnel record and we would never know what "type"
of person he really is. I can't believe you would honestly
believe ANY cop has a spotless record. Just how stupid
are you?

I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
> with that record, just based on a comment.
>
> jaybird

Did you hear the tape? I know several cops who believe
he should be fired!

Alex
Old March 28th 05, 05:15 AM
The Real Bev

G W Shrub wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
>
> > The dispatcher's action is the same whether the biker died or not.
> > Somebody screamed HELP US and the jerk whose job it was to provide help
> > hung up on him because he disapproved of motorcycle riders. ***If***
> > the rider had died as a result of this action, what should the
> > dispatcher's penalty be?

> The trooper dispatched rescue promptly.

So they tell us. Anybody here actually see what happened?

> I wonder what he knows of happenings on that road?

My question, however, involved a "what if?"

--
Cheers, Bev
"Luge strategy? Lie flat and try not to die."
Old March 28th 05, 05:32 AM
G W Shrub

He was wrong, but even cops get ****ed off at idiots.

--