Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 26th 05, 06:57 AM
jaybird

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:02:13 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
>> > wrote:

>>>Doesn't he have a right to some privacy? If he doesn't want to show
>>>where
>>>he works and/or lives, that's his privilege, isn't it?
>>>

>> Of course he does, but he has volunteered some information already and
>> we certainly have the right to ask.

> True. One may always ask. I admit to some curiosity myself.

Believe me, I would like to but me doing that would be the same as any of
you identifying yourselves. I wouldn't ask that and I hope no one would
volunteer it. I know what kinds of crazy people lurk here and we're all a
little safer being anonymous. These are all posts based on our own personal
opinions and it's a good place to air out some issues we're all concerned
with.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 26th 05, 07:02 AM
jaybird

"Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dave Swanson wrote:
>
>> There are thousands of unemployed
>> citizens who could perform much better than this
>> pitiful asshole.

> Sign the petition to have him fired:
>
> <http://www.petitiononline.com/Peasley/petition.html>
>
> There are thousands of signatures thus far. Add yours and pass the URL
> along.
>
> My article:
> <http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/attention-motorcyclists-cops-only-care.html>

Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your cause,
there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 26th 05, 07:41 AM
Timberwoof

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> "Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Dave Swanson wrote:
> >
> >> There are thousands of unemployed
> >> citizens who could perform much better than this
> >> pitiful asshole.

> > Sign the petition to have him fired:
> >
> > <http://www.petitiononline.com/Peasley/petition.html>

Thanks, Dave.

> > There are thousands of signatures thus far. Add yours and pass the URL
> > along.
> >
> > My article:
> > <http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...ists-cops-only
> > -care.html>

> Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
> already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your cause,
> there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
> record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
> inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

According to the story, the motorcyclist did receive the emergency services that
were requested, possibly because someone else called and spoke with a different
dispatcher. So in this case, the dispatcher's actions were not deadly. However,
had there been only that one call and only that response, the citizen would not
have received any emergency assistance. That is unacceptable.

I do not agree with the idea that racking up lots of Brownie Points over a
spotless career would entitle one to make an "oh, ****" and get away with a few
weeks without pay. Someone with that much experience is a role model whom other
dispatchers follow. He has presented a very bad example. If he is slapped on the
wrist for it, what do the other dispatchers learn?

And then, if another dispatcher makes a similar error, but with fewer Brownie
Points to his career, will his punishment be more severe? Or will this
dispatcher's punishment serve as a precedent for how this sort of thing should
be handled?

The dispatcher may make as many rude comments about callers as he wants after he
has completed the call. (I sometimes do the same about the worst idiots who call
for tech support, although that is different in that it is not a
life-threatening situation.) Police and fire departments are perfectly justified
in issuing fines to people who call 911 for non-emergencies. But when it's
needed, the promise of the service must be upheld.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
If Macintosh is a luxury cruise ship,
Old March 26th 05, 08:37 AM
B. Peg

> "jaybird" wrote:
> Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
> already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
> cause, there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a
> spotless record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for
> making an inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

What if you called 911 on your family member and got the same response?
"Oh, it's okay. He was just having a bad day. He was a good cop for so
long." Gimme a frickin' break!

Fwiw, what relevance does a spotless record have? From your logic, then why
arrest any first time offender? After all, they were good citizen for so
long. This guy's discordant attitude has been demonstrated and documented.
For him to remain on the force will do nothing but tarnish the town's
credence of their own police force. Pushing a broom, as suggested
elsewhere, is too good for this guy. Surely the department's janitor would
know better than respond as this guy did.

Personally, I couldn't care less if he had one century of a spotless record.
If I answered the phone as he did and my boss was listening, I'd be fired on
the spot -- and I would have deserved it. For me to do it openly and on
tape would be more than stupid on my part. This guy's malfeasance
demonstrates he is incapable of doing the job and is either very stupid or
looking to get transferred. Too bad he is protected by the union (and other
cops) and even if they do get rid of him - which they should before someone
else gets hung-up on in another emergency - he'll get some hefty retirement.
This guy's mouth is working before his brain is, hardly a job he is capable
of doing.

Cops like this 911 dispatcher, and their ilk that support his behavior, do
the real policemen and dispatchers a disservice. Those that support him do
not help bolster their force, but will only discredit it. I hope their
chief, or their city council, has the compunction to remove this person
before more harm can be done by this individual. It's a shame when you
cannot have faith in your own town's police force.

If you are seeking support, why not sign on with Mexico's Policia Judiciale
Federale. I hear that's a good supportive brotherhood.

B~

Old March 26th 05, 09:13 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"jaybird" > wrote in message

> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
> ink.net...

>> True. One may always ask. I admit to some curiosity myself.

> Believe me, I would like to but me doing that would be the same as any of
> you identifying yourselves. I wouldn't ask that and I hope no one would
> volunteer it. I know what kinds of crazy people lurk here and we're all a
> little safer being anonymous. These are all posts based on our own
> personal opinions and it's a good place to air out some issues we're all
> concerned with.

All true. My name and e are on each post, and anyone could Google me to
find out where I live, etc. But then, I'm not a LEO and people who have a
pathological hatred of musicians are few in number and benign in their
actions. The worst they can do to me is talk loudly during my bass solo

Old March 26th 05, 02:14 PM
Bob Mann

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:33:17 -0500, Dave Swanson
> wrote:

>Car wrote:
>>
>> From the Hartford Courant
>>
>> Trooper Suspended 15 Days

If this was his first ever episode then I think that a 3 week unpaid
suspension is plenty.
People are real quick to try to get other people tossed from their
jobs.
He should be reprimanded and sent for some retraining as well as the
suspension.
He needs to understand how important what he does is for the community
and for the overall public relations of his department.

I wonder why a real police officer instead of a trained CSR was on the
phones in the first place.
--
Bob Mann

Before you critisize someone,
you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you critisize them,
you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Old March 26th 05, 06:24 PM
L Sternn

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:54:45 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>> I came close to a DUI once, and I have to say that the officers who
>> pulled me over and ran me thru FSTs were professional and didn't say
>> or do anything I could possibly object to. (Hell, they didn't arrest
>> me - what more could I ask for?) They still wrote me 3 tickets -
>> speeding (I was barely speeding), red light (it was barely red), and
>> failure to change address on my DL.

>And let me guess.... you were barely drunk.

bzzzt - you really are a moron, aren't you?

What part of

>> They told me they thought I would blow "right on the line" if they
>> took me downtown.

do you fail to understand?

No, I wasn't drunk, but if I was, yes I was BARELY drunk.

And to be more accurate, they didn't say they *thought* I would blow
right on the line.

I believe their exact words we "If we took you downtown right now,
you'd blow right on the line".

Funny how you remember things like that. They said a bunch of other
stuff too, but I don't remember any of that.

You might as well have guessed that I "barely" failed to change the
address on my DL. Of course that would be wrong too since I hadn't
changed it at all, but that's par for the course in your book, I would
imagine.
Old March 26th 05, 06:25 PM
L Sternn

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:57:44 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
link.net...
>> "Cartlon Shew" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:02:13 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"

>>> Of course he does, but he has volunteered some information already and
>>> we certainly have the right to ask.

>> True. One may always ask. I admit to some curiosity myself.

>Believe me, I would like to but me doing that would be the same as any of
>you identifying yourselves. I wouldn't ask that and I hope no one would
>volunteer it. I know what kinds of crazy people lurk here and we're all a
>little safer being anonymous. These are all posts based on our own personal
>opinions and it's a good place to air out some issues we're all concerned
>with.

Fair enough, except I'd like to point out that simply telling us what
city you work for wouldn't reveal your specific identity unless the
police force were VERY small.
Old March 26th 05, 06:52 PM
Robert Bolton

"Bob Mann" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:33:17 -0500, Dave Swanson
> > wrote:
>
>>Car wrote:
>>>
>>> From the Hartford Courant
>>>
>>> Trooper Suspended 15 Days
>>>

> If this was his first ever episode then I think that a 3 week unpaid
> suspension is plenty.
> People are real quick to try to get other people tossed from their
> jobs.
> He should be reprimanded and sent for some retraining as well as the
> suspension.
> He needs to understand how important what he does is for the community
> and for the overall public relations of his department.
>
> I wonder why a real police officer instead of a trained CSR was on the
> phones in the first place.

There are a lot considerations that are taken into account when it comes to
corrective measures. His supervisors probably wouldn't be able to fire him even
if they wanted to for a first offense of this type. My guess is that the
person's unofficial record isn't that clean though, as it takes an oddball to
respond in that manner to someone in distress as the caller no doubt was. It's
a shame that someone so twisted has the power as an officer to really mess with
someone's life, but nothing's perfect in this world. I agree with what Bob's
saying and would add that his superiors should know better than anyone how to
react to the situation, presuming they're not 100% CYA type bureaucrats (some
percentage is always required). A suspension isn't a small thing and could make
a difference when it comes to the possibility of a promotion.

Robert

Old March 26th 05, 09:15 PM
L Sternn

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:52:55 -0900, "Robert Bolton"
> wrote:

>"Bob Mann" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:33:17 -0500, Dave Swanson
>> > wrote:

>> If this was his first ever episode then I think that a 3 week unpaid
>> suspension is plenty.
>> People are real quick to try to get other people tossed from their
>> jobs.
>> He should be reprimanded and sent for some retraining as well as the
>> suspension.
>> He needs to understand how important what he does is for the community
>> and for the overall public relations of his department.
>>
>> I wonder why a real police officer instead of a trained CSR was on the
>> phones in the first place.

>There are a lot considerations that are taken into account when it comes to
>corrective measures. His supervisors probably wouldn't be able to fire him even
>if they wanted to for a first offense of this type.

That needs to be fixed, if that is the case.

> My guess is that the
>person's unofficial record isn't that clean though, as it takes an oddball to
>respond in that manner to someone in distress as the caller no doubt was.

I agree - I don't believe that Peasley suddenly cracked. I believe he
was broken throughout his 18 year career and it is scary to think that
the cops you see on the street could be so ****ed up without any sort
of disciplinary action being taken against them.

And jaybird wonders why many people hate cops.

>It's
>a shame that someone so twisted has the power as an officer to really mess with
>someone's life, but nothing's perfect in this world. I agree with what Bob's
>saying and would add that his superiors should know better than anyone how to
>react to the situation, presuming they're not 100% CYA type bureaucrats (some
>percentage is always required). A suspension isn't a small thing and could make
>a difference when it comes to the possibility of a promotion.

Well, jaybird already suggested that 911 dispatcher was a cushy job
for someone close to retirement, so hopefully promotion wasn't in
Peasley's future anyway.

But there is a HUGE ****ing problem with allowing cops close to
retirement get away with murder (or in this case, attempted murder -
that is what it boils down to).

I will never forget the DEA agent who was forgiven 2 DUIs because he
was close to retirement.

After all, he only hit a bus in one case and a bicyclist in the other
case. But he was a few months away from retirement so the kangaroo
court acquitted him.

Kangaroo courts don't limit themselves to finding innocent people
guilty.