Rattle Noise On The Left Side

Old September 25th 04, 10:31 PM
emust

Default Rattle Noise On The Left Side

1996 318IC

everytime i make a right or ajust bear right my car makes a rattling
noise on the left side. the rattling noise is getting worse and worse
everyday. i sent the car to a mechanic, he checked it on the lift and
could not locate any problems. he stated that he couldnt find
anything, but i should start by changing my front shocks. before i
spend 2000k changing every single part, can someone tell me if this is
something that has happened to someone esle and the soltion? thanks
for your help.
Old September 26th 04, 12:25 AM
Rick Clark

>emust honked his horn and wrote:

> 1996 318IC
>

> everytime i make a right or ajust bear right my car makes a rattling
> noise on the left side. the rattling noise is getting worse and worse
> everyday. i sent the car to a mechanic, he checked it on the lift and
> could not locate any problems. he stated that he couldnt find
> anything, but i should start by changing my front shocks. before i
> spend 2000k changing every single part, can someone tell me if this is
> something that has happened to someone esle and the soltion? thanks
> for your help.

My '92 E36 325 coupe developed a metallic rattling when turning left of
accelerating up to about 40 MPH a couple of weeks ago. Once I'd jacked
up the car and crawled underneath (wheels chocked and on axle stand of
course) I found that the mounting holes for the heat shields over the
CAT had broken through. A few tie wraps later and the rattle was fixed.

Worth a look.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Old September 26th 04, 09:02 AM
Somebody

"Rick Clark" > wrote in message
> >emust honked his horn and wrote:

> > 1996 318IC
> >

> > everytime i make a right or ajust bear right my car makes a rattling
> > noise on the left side. the rattling noise is getting worse and worse
> > everyday. i sent the car to a mechanic, he checked it on the lift and
> > could not locate any problems. he stated that he couldnt find
> > anything, but i should start by changing my front shocks. before i
> > spend 2000k changing every single part, can someone tell me if this is
> > something that has happened to someone esle and the soltion? thanks
> > for your help.

> My '92 E36 325 coupe developed a metallic rattling when turning left of
> accelerating up to about 40 MPH a couple of weeks ago. Once I'd jacked
> up the car and crawled underneath (wheels chocked and on axle stand of
> course) I found that the mounting holes for the heat shields over the
> CAT had broken through. A few tie wraps later and the rattle was fixed.
>
> Worth a look.

I'd be careful using tie wraps down there unless they're metal though ---
that's a heat sheild for a reason!

You might also check the backing plates on the right hand side hubs, perhaps
one is loose/bent/etc.

-Russ.

Old September 26th 04, 06:26 PM
Rick Clark

>Somebody honked his horn and wrote:

> "Rick Clark" > wrote in
> message ...

> > My '92 E36 325 coupe developed a metallic rattling when turning
> > left of accelerating up to about 40 MPH a couple of weeks ago. Once
> > I'd jacked up the car and crawled underneath (wheels chocked and on
> > axle stand of course) I found that the mounting holes for the heat
> > shields over the CAT had broken through. A few tie wraps later and
> > the rattle was fixed.
> >
> > Worth a look.

> I'd be careful using tie wraps down there unless they're metal though
> --- that's a heat sheild for a reason!

True. There was already a plastic one on there. Been there for at least
4 years since I've had the car and that was still OK though.

> You might also check the backing plates on the right hand side hubs,
> perhaps one is loose/bent/etc.

Good Call. Mine have had problems before with rust although they have
never rattled. Taking the fixing bolts out and putting oversized
washers on helps to secure them up again.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Old September 26th 04, 08:54 PM
Somebody

"Rick Clark" > wrote in message
> >Somebody honked his horn and wrote:

> > "Rick Clark" > wrote in
> > message ...

> > > My '92 E36 325 coupe developed a metallic rattling when turning
> > > left of accelerating up to about 40 MPH a couple of weeks ago. Once
> > > I'd jacked up the car and crawled underneath (wheels chocked and on
> > > axle stand of course) I found that the mounting holes for the heat
> > > shields over the CAT had broken through. A few tie wraps later and
> > > the rattle was fixed.
> > >
> > > Worth a look.

> > I'd be careful using tie wraps down there unless they're metal though
> > --- that's a heat sheild for a reason!
> >

> True. There was already a plastic one on there. Been there for at least
> 4 years since I've had the car and that was still OK though.
>
> > You might also check the backing plates on the right hand side hubs,
> > perhaps one is loose/bent/etc.

> Good Call. Mine have had problems before with rust although they have
> never rattled. Taking the fixing bolts out and putting oversized
> washers on helps to secure them up again.

Actually different issue along the same lines... I had a noise the varied
with wheel speed in the rear and I thought it was a bearing or something.
Turned out to be the accumulated rust on the outer edge of the rear disk
rubbing the backing plate. Took off the disk and cleaned it up and problem
was solved.

-Russ.

-Russ.

Engine noise after belt replacements Remy Audi 3 April 14th 09 10:13 PM
1.8SE engine rattle Mick Audi 1 December 5th 04 07:25 PM
New A3.. low volume whistling noise when engine is idle eko Audi 7 September 17th 04 01:54 AM
Passenger side front window bill Audi 4 August 25th 04 07:27 AM
Alfa 156 1.8 rattle Ypnos Alfa Romeo 2 June 27th 04 07:13 PM