Tired of that damn radio display.

Old November 18th 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Tired of that damn radio display.

After fixing it for 5-6 time I gave up on the DIY solution. Now, where can I
get a power board for the display that won't go bad ? Have they redesigned
it to stop it form over heating ?

zoti

Old November 18th 05, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I am assuming that yours is the Mach radio -- would be nice if you shared
that secret with us...

Pioneeer is the manufacturer of this radio, and sells replacement parts
(1-800-421-1404, http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com)... Ordering P/N
HWM5469 (around $90) gets you a three-board kit, one of which is the display
power board that you need. Mine has so far worked perfectly for 9 months.
That's about all the testimony I can offer.
The only visible change is that those nasty high power resistors have been
raised about 1/4" above the board surface. This is standard practice for
leaded resistors, meant to reduce board heating, which should have been
followed in the original product. But in a tiny space and without any
airflow, I suspect that the benefit is not much. Perhaps they also changed
some component values to improve efficiency -- no way to tell without
schematics. One of these days I'll open the case and look for signs of
overheating; hopefully it won't be because the thing stopped working...

To be fair, not that long ago at least one person used to make a living
repairing these boards. His cost was about the same as the (brand new)
Pioneer kit. He claimed that his repair includes improvements and offered a
warranty. I have never seen his work and can't say anything about it. If
memory serves, the url was something like 'sharedmemory.com' -- google the
archives of this group, if interested.

Old November 18th 05, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I thought only one kind of radio does this. And yes, mine is the mach (CD
and cassette).

Damn, for $90 I would consider going with a new head unit. Do you know any
models that would work with the CD changer ?

Old January 10th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Has any one come up with a solution to this problem yet? I believe that I
have this same system you all are speaking of. It's in the 98 Eddie Baur
edition Explorer, has a CD & Casette along with a 6 Disc Changer in the
arm rest console. Everything works but the display, evry now and then it
will display all the LCD functions then poof, it's gone again for another
3 months or so. If any one has a solution please tell me. Thanks Chris

Old January 10th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

lkaboutautos.com...