My email to Opinion Nation.

Old May 21st 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders[_1_]

Default My email to Opinion Nation.

This covers some of the same ground as in my last topic but I wanted to
post it here so you guys could see what I sent to Opinion Nation.
http://radio.psrtv.com/

Dear Opinion Nation,

My motivation for SIM racing is first I'm a competition junkie. Secondly
to hang out with my friends, especially Joe Hassel and Norm Graf. I pick
the leagues I run in by the how well they are ran, level of competition,
guys in the league and which car the league offers for competition. The
reason I came back to MNRL's MIRL division is they are running North
American Open Wheel and a balanced schedule of Ovals and Roadies. There
are very few situation where you can demonstrate the wide variety of
skill necessary win the drivers championship then in a NAOW style
championship. MIRL offers it.

My motivation to stick with rFactor is first, there are North American
Open Wheel cars and secondly there are many mods that I can race at the
drop of a hat. rFactor mods can be as good as the mod maker can make
them and they have gotten better within the rFactor structure. There are
many tracks that have been created for rFactor that are works of art and
labors of love by the modder. The same for the cars that are created and
the fact that someone has to sweat blood over these things make me want
to continue to support them.

The choice of leagues are almost endless. There are leagues like MNRL
that are so highly organized that they can compete with any proprietary
league format out there. Race2Play has a league organizational
management system that anyone can use to run their league plus a large
group of members to promote their league to.

Why I'm not motivated to go iRacing is:

First I tried it and the driving school format has no appeal to me. But
over-all when iRacing got going, many of the arrogant and reckless
racers went there and it cleaned up the leagues in rfactor. So iRacing
really made rFactor better by absorbing the marginal people and racers.

Secondly, I can't offer my support to the people that run iRacing
because of the hatefulness they demonstrated in 2004 and 05 to the SIM
Racing community in general, over the NR2003 "code gate" scandal. Also
when they made Redline withdraw their kickass version of GTP and
reissued that dumbed down version it also broke any support I would ever
want to give them. 1.0 GTP rocked.

Thirdly, the iRacing zealots turn me off. iRacing is good but it ain't
that good. Not good enough to be around their zealots. iRacing would do
itself a favor by keeping their a-holes out of the SRC forums attempting
to do PR for them because it turns potential recruits off. There is too
much "our stuff is hot and your stuff's not." "Come to iRacing Jesus,
the only way to SIM enlightenment."

Fourthly, There is too much game. What they call their licensing
procedure is too much ... I'm not tuned into it. I like league racing
not that glorified pick-up racing that demands too much time, under
stress, to play their silly "driving school" ratings game that's built
into it. In my SIM Racing world that is totally unnecessary. I can race
10 minutes with a guy and know if he's good enough to race with.

Fifthly, The money. Not for me because I'd buy everything they had in
one fell swoop just so I wouldn't have to do it over and over. But they
wear their membership out by constantly keeping them in a negative
upgrade cycle. When people bitch about a single item as much as they
bitch about that, then a smart business person would need to look at it
as a problem.

OK they got their NASCAR deal finally done, which I predicted it would
happen as soon as the EA exclusive ran it's course. Times up. Now if
they get a kick ass Indy Car thing done then I might back track on
everything I just said above.

Note: SIM Racing is still a game. I'll tell you when it's a real SIM or
a new kind of sport. SIM Racing doesn't have to have Lazer scanned
tracks to be a SIM either, but it will need properly modeled tires,
Computational Fluid Dynamics and Dynamic Fluid Weather for aero effect.
Also it will need a standardized criteria for force feed back wheel and
cockpits. And I can't see how the g-forces of the cockpit will ever be
properly simulated. Of course iRacing's Lazar scanned cars and attempt
at weighing components for proper weight distribution is the right
direction to go, but not enough to play their game.
Old May 22nd 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Alan Bernardo[_5_]

"Niles Anders" > wrote in message
> This covers some of the same ground as in my last topic but I wanted to
> post it here so you guys could see what I sent to Opinion Nation.
> http://radio.psrtv.com/
>
> Dear Opinion Nation,

I'm sorry, I fell asleep after the first sentence.

Alan

Old May 22nd 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Niles Anders

typing in your sleep?

New Nation News greg3347 Driving 1 July 22nd 07 06:50 PM
Wetback Nation [email protected] Driving 0 April 26th 06 05:00 AM
Wetback Nation .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com Driving 0 April 25th 06 06:01 PM
A Nation of Minutemen Society Driving 1 August 20th 05 02:37 AM
Absolutely Fee 100% Anonyms mass email software to send your mass email without losing your Internet connection. [email protected] VW water cooled 0 January 10th 05 02:22 AM