brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

Old August 14th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default brake squeal - (400$ -autoshope quoted.) quote too high??

I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.

Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.

The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
bucks! I thought it's a little high because I was expecting at most 100
(don't ask me why I came up with my 100$ estimate - it's just that I
thought nothing fancy is needed.) Granted, I am a auto-dummy with very
very little idea about cars. But still!!

The quote mentioned what they will do for the 400$.
1) resurface the break rotors
2) remove & replace brake pads (FRONT)
3) clean and adjust rear drum brake (LABOR only)
4) 45 point brake inspection! - lot of items listed on the quote
5) brake flush package - lot of items listed on the quote

Is 400$ justified and necessary to fix the brake squeal? I was told
that brake pads need to be replaced but I called another shop and they
said they charge 140$ for the brake pads. But maybe there is more to
the squeal than just the brake pads.

Regardless, I will have to get this problem fixed because Idon't want
to take chance with the brake pads. I will get this done in a week.

In the mean time, I appreciate any advise you may have ...

TIA,
Tian

Old August 14th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
butch burton

wrote:
> I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
> had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.
>
> Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
> squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
> noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
> to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.
>
> The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
> bucks!

ARe you pulling our collective legs - were the front brake pads
replaced at the 30K service interval? WHo did the 30K service - if
they used somethign other than Honda pads - you could be getting a
squeal off the pads - I assume the squeal is only when you apply the
brakes.

BTW - replacing brake pads on a honda after 30K says you are either
riding your brakes or are driving constantly in traffic and on the
brakes a lot - got 80K+ on my first set of honda pads. Forgetabout
giving anybody $400 - it only takes a few minutes to inspect your brake
pads yourself - get a helms manual and you can replace your brake pads
in less than an hour.

What kind of shop charges $400 for an inspection - sounds like a crook
to me - not even dealers do that kind of thing - well none that I know
of anyway.

Old August 14th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

> ARe you pulling our collective legs - were the front brake pads
> replaced at the 30K service interval?

They were not replaced during the 30K service ....

> What kind of shop charges $400 for an inspection - sounds like a crook
> to me - not even dealers do that kind of thing - well none that I know
> of anyway.

I am not sure if its clear from my first post but the inspection was
indeed free. After the inspection (I left the car at the auto shop for
about 2 hours) when I went back, I told the autoshop guy I will have to
think about it since its lot more ($400) than I expected to do all
these things. So the $400 is for the items that I listed there in my
original (first) post.

Old August 14th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
t...
> wrote:
> >> ARe you pulling our collective legs - were the front brake pads
> >> replaced at the 30K service interval?

> > They were not replaced during the 30K service ....
> >
> >> What kind of shop charges $400 for an inspection - sounds like a crook
> >> to me - not even dealers do that kind of thing - well none that I know
> >> of anyway.

> > I am not sure if its clear from my first post but the inspection was
> > indeed free. After the inspection (I left the car at the auto shop for
> > about 2 hours) when I went back, I told the autoshop guy I will have to
> > think about it since its lot more ($400) than I expected to do all
> > these things. So the $400 is for the items that I listed there in my
> > original (first) post.
> >

> they're tying to rip you. the chanced of honda pads needing replacement
> in only 30k is slim to zero. if you're worried, get a second opinion
> from a reputable independent mechanic.

I second that. I have 80k on the original pads in my 1999 Civic. I do live
in the country, but it is mountainous here and the vehicle has been driven
in some city traffic too.

Get a second opinion.

Earle

Old August 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
> had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.
>
> Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
> squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
> noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
> to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.
>
> The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
> bucks! I thought it's a little high because I was expecting at most 100
> (don't ask me why I came up with my 100$ estimate - it's just that I
> thought nothing fancy is needed.) Granted, I am a auto-dummy with very
> very little idea about cars. But still!!
>
> The quote mentioned what they will do for the 400$.
> 1) resurface the break rotors
> 2) remove & replace brake pads (FRONT)
> 3) clean and adjust rear drum brake (LABOR only)
> 4) 45 point brake inspection! - lot of items listed on the quote
> 5) brake flush package - lot of items listed on the quote
>

> Is 400$ justified and necessary to fix the brake squeal? I was told
> that brake pads need to be replaced but I called another shop and they
> said they charge 140$ for the brake pads. But maybe there is more to
> the squeal than just the brake pads.
>
> Regardless, I will have to get this problem fixed because Idon't want
> to take chance with the brake pads. I will get this done in a week.
>
> In the mean time, I appreciate any advise you may have ...
>
> TIA,
> Tian

You said "auto shop." I suppose it was some place like Tires R Us or Midas.
Recommend you see your local Honda dealer. My experience on Hondas is that
your brakes will last a lot longer than 33k miles. Job should not cost more
than a $200 tops. Perhaps the 45 pt inspection is expensive. Also believe
your rear brakes are self adjusting and cleaning is probably not needed.

Old August 15th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

And unless you are noticing your car shaking excessively when braking at highway
speeds which is caused by the warping of your rotors you don't need to have the
rotors resurfaced. Even then they should be replaced and not resurfaced. Make
sure whatever place you go to, you explicitly tell them that. I've seen Honda
dealers scam people into that around the Philadelphia area.

Good Luck,
Nick

Old August 17th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> I have a 2004 Honda Accord coupe and it has about 33K miles on it. I
> had the 30 K servicing done about 3 months ago.
>
> Couple of weeks after my 30K servicing, I started hearing the brakes
> squeal - very faintly. I could only hear if there is no background
> noise etc. The squeal has become louder (not too loud but it's easier
> to hear than at first) recently so I took it to a auto shop.

Your first mistake was to take the car to an aftermarket brake shop that
was hungry for work. These places hook you with the old "bait and switch"
scam, with ultra-cheap-quality parts, and with a scarily-long list of stuff
that was found during the "free" inspection.

Your second mistake was to not realize your car is *still under warranty*.
Taking a car this new to a brake/muffler shop is a risky endeavor. Suppose
there was aTSB for your problem? You'd never know, going to a brake shop.

You appear to be in California, so rust is not a factor for your brakes.

Squealing can be several things, from worn pads to dust. Your local dealer
is your best choice here. They would be less likely to attempt to frighten
you into spending more money than you need to.

> The shop gave me a quote after the 'free inspection'. The quote is 400
> bucks! I thought it's a little high because I was expecting at most 100
> (don't ask me why I came up with my 100$ estimate - it's just that I
> thought nothing fancy is needed.) Granted, I am a auto-dummy with very
> very little idea about cars. But still!!
>
> The quote mentioned what they will do for the 400$.
> 1) resurface the break rotors

Unneeded and undesirable if braking is still smooth.

> 2) remove & replace brake pads (FRONT)
> 3) clean and adjust rear drum brake (LABOR only)

NOT NEEDED! Your drums are good for at LEAST 70K without any maintenance at
all. Drums adjust automatically. If your parking brake works OK, then the
adjusters are working.

> 4) 45 point brake inspection! - lot of items listed on the quote
> 5) brake flush package - lot of items listed on the quote

A brake flush is a good idea, but not from those sharks you went to.

Go to your local dealer. Let them fix it.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/