Air Conditioner -- AR 166

Old July 25th 04, 08:52 AM
DJ

Default Air Conditioner -- AR 166

Hi,

I've got a AR 166 which I have had for a couple of months - I'm the first
owner - but the cars a year old because it was pre-registered by Alfa.

Anyway I thought the air con was fine but since we have had a couple of hot
days, i.e 25 degrees, my aircon doesn't seem that effective. If I set it on
LOW or 16 I need to have a high'ish fan speed to try and get the Cab cooled
but I never get to the point where I think I can turn the fan speed down
now. And I have to have the air vents directed on me to feel the cool. By
the way I am quite a slim bloke !!

How good is the Air Con generally regarded in a 166 or Alfa's generally

Thanks

DJ

Old July 25th 04, 01:04 PM
Spark

166's are generally pretty good, are you using it on recirculate?

Old July 25th 04, 01:47 PM
DJ

Yeah, I always have it on recyculating - It think I will let the garage have
a look at it - should be covered under warrenty.

. ..

Old July 25th 04, 04:06 PM
Hans de Heer

"DJ" > wrote in message ...
> Yeah, I always have it on recyculating - It think I will let the garage

have
> a look at it - should be covered under warrenty.

You always have it on recirculating??? Why's that, if I may ask??? I never
have mine on recirculating, as a matter of fact I wonder why you would put
it on recirculating at all...

--
Regards, Hans
Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed - 1999

Old July 25th 04, 05:41 PM
DJ

I just do - its the default setting and I can't be bothered to switch it off
, it keeps the fumes out around town and it allows the aircon to be more
effective ?? But its not something I pay great attention to !

DJ

Old July 25th 04, 06:49 PM
Catman

Hans de Heer wrote:

> "DJ" > wrote in message
>> Yeah, I always have it on recyculating - It think I will let the garage

> have
>> a look at it - should be covered under warrenty.

> You always have it on recirculating??? Why's that, if I may ask??? I never
> have mine on recirculating, as a matter of fact I wonder why you would put
> it on recirculating at all...

Because if you have it on 'non recirculating' you are constantly drawing in
hot air and cooling it down.

Not that I have aircon at all you understand
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 25th 04, 07:41 PM
Hans de Heer

"DJ" > wrote in message ...
> I just do - its the default setting and I can't be bothered to switch it

off
> , it keeps the fumes out around town and it allows the aircon to be more
> effective ?? But its not something I pay great attention to !

Okay, fair enough. I guess my habit of never switching to recirculation
mode, stems from the pre-aircon era.. when switching to recirculation mode
was the fastest way to provide the inside of your windows with a layer of
damp

Old July 25th 04, 09:01 PM
Alfistagj

It's NOT the default setting.
Default is that when you start the enigne it will resume in the same
position as when the engine was turned off!!
In fact the car manual (mine at least) strongly dis-advises to have the
recyculation switched on too long/too often specifically when more than one
person is in the car (lack of oxygen / sleepyness!!)
It will increase the speed of cooling, but comfort is not just temperature.
Humidity and oxygen level are mabe even more important for comfort.

With respect to the cooling performance:
Alfa has a different approach compared to most other car makers.
The air flow will never feel "cold" as they use a large "cool" airflow
rather than less "cold" airflow.
This is purely done for comfort reasons.
Furthermore they strongly advise to use the "auto" setting to get the
quickest and most comfortable surroundings and dis-advise changing the
temperatures too often.
Just set the temperature once at a fixed level and let the electronics do
the job for you.
When you re-adjust, just do it by 1 or 2 degrees.
Fiddling around with the temperaure confuses the electronics!!
Realize that a comfortable feeling depends on the difference to the ambient
temperature and NOT on the specific temperature.
When 30dgr outside, don't go for 19-20dgr but for 23-24dgr
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"DJ" > schreef in bericht

Old July 25th 04, 09:08 PM
DJ

That all sounds like good advice - I always just set it to LOW and leave it
alone - I'll have a play and see how it feels at different settings.

Thanks

Old July 26th 04, 12:23 PM
Alfistagj

"DJ" > schreef in bericht
> That all sounds like good advice - I always just set it to LOW and leave

it
> alone - I'll have a play and see how it feels at different settings.
>
> Thanks

Maybe another cheap advise: Read your owners manual ;-)