Headlight flickers

Old July 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Oppie

Default Headlight flickers

No big deal but I notice that when I flash the high beams on my '01 LW300,
the passenger side headlamp flickers a few times (about one second) and then
stays on normally. I noticed this mostly with the headlamps off and just the
daytime running lamps on. It does make for a more eye-catching effect when
flashing the highs.

My best guess is that the headlamps are electronically switched (left and
right individually) and that the power module is detecting the current and
limiting the current by shutting down the switch for a short time. If this
is the case, either the module may be over sensitive or that one lamp is
drawing a bit more current.

Has anybody else observed this condition?
Would be interesting to swap out the headlamp bulbs to see if the problem
goes to the other side.

Oppie

Useless bit of engineering trivia: Incandescent lamps draw about 10 times
the normal running current when first turned on (cold filament). That's why,
more often than not, an old bulb will blow at turn-on.