Plastic vs. aluminum radiator

Old September 5th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pete from Boston

Default Plastic vs. aluminum radiator

I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
just rather put something new in than mess around with
patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
it myself a shot.

That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
substantial difference other than ease of installation?

The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).

Any opinions/recommendations?

Old September 5th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
N.E.Ohio Bob

Pete from Boston wrote:
> I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
> just rather put something new in than mess around with
> patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
> replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
> already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
> it myself a shot.
>
> That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
> tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
> with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
> mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
> substantial difference other than ease of installation?
>
> The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
> but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
> info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
>
> Any opinions/recommendations?

I bought one (plastic) with a lifetime guarantee, and it needed re-done
(by me) a few years later. They gave me a new one without any problems.
KEEP the receipt. bob
Old September 5th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On 4 Sep 2006 23:10:55 -0700, "Pete from Boston"
> wrote:

>I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
>just rather put something new in than mess around with
>patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
>replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
>already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
>it myself a shot.
>
>That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
>tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
>with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
>mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
>substantial difference other than ease of installation?
>
>The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
>but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
>info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
>
>Any opinions/recommendations?

I bought a new radiator for my 90 accord from radiator barn to replace
the original composite radiator that had developed a split. Seems
like I paid a little over a hundred bucks for it. Recieved it in two
days.

It was metal (all aluminum ?, I don't think so). Fit perfectly,
relatively easy to replace, took about two hours. Did it about a year
ago, so far so good, but good warranty at any rate.

I'm in a no snow area, you should get opinions from locals that deal
with the cold, snow, salt, sand cycle you have to deal with with
regard to material selection.

Frank
Old September 5th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pete from Boston

Frank Boettcher wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2006 23:10:55 -0700, "Pete from Boston"
> > wrote:
>
> >I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
> >just rather put something new in than mess around with
> >patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
> >replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
> >already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
> >it myself a shot.
> >
> >That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
> >tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
> >with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
> >mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
> >substantial difference other than ease of installation?
> >
> >The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
> >but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
> >info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
> >
> >Any opinions/recommendations?

> I bought a new radiator for my 90 accord from radiator barn to replace
> the original composite radiator that had developed a split. Seems
> like I paid a little over a hundred bucks for it. Recieved it in two
> days.
>
> It was metal (all aluminum ?, I don't think so). Fit perfectly,
> relatively easy to replace, took about two hours. Did it about a year
> ago, so far so good, but good warranty at any rate.
>
> I'm in a no snow area, you should get opinions from locals that deal
> with the cold, snow, salt, sand cycle you have to deal with with
> regard to material selection.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the effect of the elements on the
materials. Good point to consider.

Old September 6th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
TeGGeR®

"Pete from Boston" > wrote in
ps.com:

> I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and
> I'd just rather put something new in than mess around with
> patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
> replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
> already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give
> doing it myself a shot.
>
> That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
> tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
> with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
> mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
> substantial difference other than ease of installation?
>
> The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
> but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
> info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
>
> Any opinions/recommendations?

All-aluminum is best. If you can find one these days. They're getting
harder to locate.

An important point to remember is that the rad MUST be free-floating.
When the upper mounts are bolted down, the rad should be LOOSE even when
the engine is hot. It should wiggle very easily. If it is snugly mounted
and not easily movable, excessive stress is placed on the tanks, leading
to a greater probability of fractures.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 6th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Art[_1_]

Indeed I was surprised how loose radiators are these days. My father
destroyed the front of his 2004 Saturn. After it was fixed I was checking
it over and I couldn't believe how loose the radiator was. I brought the
car back and they said it was right the way it was. I drove over to Saturn
dealer and checked the new ones out..... yep.... they are loose all right.

Old September 6th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Pete from Boston wrote:
> I need a new radiator in my 90 Accord (155K) -- ridiculous leak and I'd
> just rather put something new in than mess around with
> patching/welding. I've been reading through a lot of radiator
> replacement discussions in here and given the amount of time I've
> already spent looking at and playing with it, I'm willing to give doing
> it myself a shot.
>
> That said, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of plastic and aluminum
> tanks. Having had leaks on two plastic-tanked radiators, I'd rather go
> with aluminum if that's going to tend to develop leaks less. Someone
> mentioned aluminum being heavier -- is this going to make any
> substantial difference other than ease of installation?
>
> The prices on the ones I'm seeing listed on line are all reasonable,
> but I don't see a lot of detailed info on one vs. another (which is
> info much more in abundance on this group, thankfully).
>
> Any opinions/recommendations?

there's nothing wrong with plastic, provided two conditions are met:

1. as tegger says, it needs to be loosely mounted.
2. there needs to be normal pressure in the system, not excess due to a
leaking head gasket.

regarding 2, a lot of times, radiators are replaced because of
"overheating". a low level head gasket leak can persist for a long
time, with the chemical and pressure stress that places on the system.
if a radiator cracks under those conditions because a prompt and
effective diagnosis of the root cause was not made, i don't think
there's a huge amount to complain about.

fyi, plastic/aluminum are a great combo for internal corrosion
resistance and seal persistence - that's why they're used. just make
sure you don't buy the cheapest one and you should be ok.
Old September 6th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

The radiator in my Jeep is rigidly mounted to the front grille, but the
hoses are about two feet long each.

Earle

ink.net...

Old September 6th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Jim Yanik

"Earle Horton" > wrote in
om:

> The radiator in my Jeep is rigidly mounted to the front grille, but
> the hoses are about two feet long each.
>
> Earle

Radiators expand and contract with temp changes.

and we ain't talking about Jeeps. 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old September 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Earle Horton" > wrote in
> om:
>
> > The radiator in my Jeep is rigidly mounted to the front grille, but
> > the hoses are about two feet long each.
> >
> > Earle

> Radiators expand and contract with temp changes.
>
> and we ain't talking about Jeeps. 8-)

Everything in the car expands and contracts with temp changes. You can
either install two foot long radiator hoses, or put up with a floppy
radiator. ;^)

Earle