Civic Stalling in Hot Weather

Old August 12th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
neosirex

Default Civic Stalling in Hot Weather

Hi i have a 1998 Civic Cx Automatic with 160k miles on it
The car has a hard time starting in hot weather sometimes and also
sometimes stalls when driving. When i stall the electric doesn't go off so
my radio is still on and everything but i have to go park and restart the
car afterward. There are no odb codes going off on the car and it's
recently had timing belts and fuel filter changed. I'm thinking it has
something to do with the fuel pumpish or something but i dunno. Any help
would be great. THX

Old August 12th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

neosirex wrote:

> Hi i have a 1998 Civic Cx Automatic with 160k miles on it
> The car has a hard time starting in hot weather sometimes and also
> sometimes stalls when driving. When i stall the electric doesn't go off so
> my radio is still on and everything but i have to go park and restart the
> car afterward. There are no odb codes going off on the car and it's
> recently had timing belts and fuel filter changed. I'm thinking it has
> something to do with the fuel pumpish or something but i dunno. Any help
> would be great. THX

-----------------------------------

SEARCH for honda main relay. It probably needs to be resoldered
(anyway). Don't unbolt it, just slip the guts out of the shell. Other
posts will tell you how to restart without waiting for it to cool down.
Didn't your car qualify for the ignition switch recall? Usually main
relay only affects restarting, it doesn't cause stalling in traffic.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf

Look at posts about igniter too.

'Curly'
Old August 12th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> neosirex wrote:
>> Hi i have a 1998 Civic Cx Automatic with 160k miles on it
>> The car has a hard time starting in hot weather sometimes and also
>> sometimes stalls when driving. When i stall the electric doesn't go off so
>> my radio is still on and everything but i have to go park and restart the
>> car afterward. There are no odb codes going off on the car and it's
>> recently had timing belts and fuel filter changed. I'm thinking it has
>> something to do with the fuel pumpish or something but i dunno. Any help
>> would be great. THX

> -----------------------------------
>
> SEARCH for honda main relay. It probably needs to be resoldered
> (anyway). Don't unbolt it, just slip the guts out of the shell. Other
> posts will tell you how to restart without waiting for it to cool down.
> Didn't your car qualify for the ignition switch recall? Usually main
> relay only affects restarting, it doesn't cause stalling in traffic.
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf
>
> Look at posts about igniter too.
>
> 'Curly'

dead igniter rarely allows re-starts. once it's gone, it's gone.

i'd go for ignition switch recall, then look at tired ignition
componentry. old plugs and leads hate getting too hot.
Old August 14th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Robert

When my igniter went bad, it would cause a feeling like spark plug
wires shorting out. Then after a while, the engine would quit. Only
after it cooled down, could I start the engine again. The problem
seemed to go away then after the engine got hot again, the sequence
reappeared. - Bob