valvetrain problem?

Old October 18th 03, 04:18 AM
Gerard

Default valvetrain problem?

today i adjusted all of my valves... last time since i did it was
about 5000 miles ago.

i found that 13/16 of the rockers were pretty loose - in the sense that
the pushrods were easily turnable in their place.

i don't think this is normal for the preload to come undone after only
5k miles, is it? i remember in my notes that i went around and gave each
of them a 1/2 turn preload.

am i doing something wrong, or could there be something else i'm
missing? is it just backing off really fast?

i was thinking i could back a second nut on top of the rocker nut to
help keep it tightened down...

other than that, there's also this: it also gets noisier whenever i an
either decelerating with my foot off the gas, or when i am cruising with
no load on the engine (i.e. not trying to accelerate).

opinions?

400 sbc, hydraulic cam.

thanks!

Old October 18th 03, 08:51 AM

Gerard wrote:

> today i adjusted all of my valves... last time since i did it was
> about 5000 miles ago.
>
> i found that 13/16 of the rockers were pretty loose - in the sense that
> the pushrods were easily turnable in their place.
>
> i don't think this is normal for the preload to come undone after only
> 5k miles, is it? i remember in my notes that i went around and gave each
> of them a 1/2 turn preload.
>
> am i doing something wrong, or could there be something else i'm
> missing? is it just backing off really fast?
>
> i was thinking i could back a second nut on top of the rocker nut to
> help keep it tightened down...
>
> other than that, there's also this: it also gets noisier whenever i an
> either decelerating with my foot off the gas, or when i am cruising with
> no load on the engine (i.e. not trying to accelerate).
>
> opinions?
>
> 400 sbc, hydraulic cam.
>
> thanks!

If you have press-in studs with heavy springs or a high lift cam that causes high pressure
to be exerted by the springs, the studs can sometimes start pulling out of the head.
Check for this before it's too late!

Gerard
ASE Master Auto Tech
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
Old October 18th 03, 09:40 PM
Gerard

hi,

i'm using screw-in studs, i got rid of the press-in studs a short while
ago when i did a head swap; i moved to dart II heads with an edelbrock
214 cam.

Old October 19th 03, 03:21 AM

Gerard wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm using screw-in studs, i got rid of the press-in studs a short while
> ago when i did a head swap; i moved to dart II heads with an edelbrock
> 214 cam.
>
> > If you have press-in studs with heavy springs or a high lift cam that causes high pressure
> > to be exerted by the springs, the studs can sometimes start pulling out of the head.
> > Check for this before it's too late!
> >
> > Gerard
> > ASE Master Auto Tech

If the heads are aluminum, then you may need to make sure the engine is at operating temp
before adjustment...I'm not sure of the addition/subtraction for alum heads...maybe
someone else here does.

Do the nuts give you good resistance to movement when you adjust them?

Gerard