increasing number of vehicles with nonfunctional stuff on them?

Old January 19th 05, 04:16 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Try "You've left your rear fog light on!".

What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

Do you mean "reverse light"?

Old January 19th 05, 04:48 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:
>I just made a speed run to the 7-11 and at the first right hand turn I
>discovered that my RR directional was burned out. So as soon as I got
>home I dragged out my baggie full of spare bulbs - nary a P21W, 1156,
>anything useful at all... so now I get to drive to work tomorrow being
>one of the people I bitch incessantly about.

Use hand signals and see if anybody understands them.

--
John Carr )
Old January 19th 05, 04:51 PM
Arif Khokar

Sam O'Nella wrote:
> What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

It's a bright light on the driver's side rear cluster separate from the
brake light that's supposed to be used under low visibility conditions
so that vehicles behind you have an easier time seeing your vehicle.
Old January 19th 05, 06:20 PM
TCS

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:16:43 -0500, Sam O'Nella > wrote:

>> Try "You've left your rear fog light on!".

>What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

I've heard that term used to refer to superbright brake lights that
are enabled when the front fog headlights are on.

Old January 19th 05, 08:16 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Sam O'Nella wrote:

> > Try "You've left your rear fog light on!".

> What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

Exactly the reaction most people give.

> Do you mean "reverse light"?

No, I don't mean "reverse light". If I had meant "reverse light", that's
what I would've said.

Rear Fog Light (Fog Taillamp): A bright red light or pair of bright red
lights, manually switched on when visibility is reduced due to rain, fog,
snow or blowing dust so that drivers behind can continue to see the
vehicle.

Go educate yourself he

http://199.166.27.139/rearfogs/

(That URL will work for awhile, anyway.)

DS
Old January 19th 05, 08:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Arif Khokar wrote:

> > What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

> It's a bright light on the driver's side rear cluster separate from the
> brake light that's supposed to be used under low visibility conditions
> so that vehicles behind you have an easier time seeing your vehicle.

Mostly correct. Unfortunately, dual rear fogs are still permitted. And you
didn't mention (and some people can't imagine) that rear fogs have to
produce red light. The URL I gave in my previous post is flaky, here's a
more reliable one:

http://dastern.torque.net/Rearfogs/Rearfogs.html

DS
Old January 19th 05, 08:41 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Sam O'Nella wrote:

> What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

The URL I gave in my previous response is flaky. Use this one instead:
http://dastern.torque.net/Rearfogs/Rearfogs.html

Old January 19th 05, 08:43 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Go educate yourself he
>
> http://199.166.27.139/rearfogs/
>
> (That URL will work for awhile, anyway.)

Thanks, was helpful.

Old January 19th 05, 08:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, TCS wrote:

> >What the hell is a "rear fog light"?

> I've heard that term used to refer to superbright brake lights that are
> enabled when the front fog headlights are on.

European brake lamp: Red, 60cd minimum, 185cd maximum
US brake lamp: Red, 80cd minimum, 300cd maximum
European rear fog lamp: Red, 80cd minimum, 300cd maximum
US rear fog lamp: Red, 80cd minimum, 300cd maximum.

Switching: Separate switch w/telltale required, but switch left in "on"
position so rear fogs come on every time car is driven still legal.
Europeans working on fixing this. Anyone ever see a last-model Oldsmobile
Aurora *without* dual rear fogs blazing?

Old January 19th 05, 08:54 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:36:16 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Olaf Gustafson wrote:
>
>> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>>
>> >and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>> >vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

>> I saw one of those the other day and the 3rd brake light was half out.

>A Ford, right?

I don't even usually notice anymore. It could have been. A lot of
them all look the same to me now.