351W into an 88 LX w/2.3L EFI

Old July 15th 05, 06:48 PM
Blink

Default 351W into an 88 LX w/2.3L EFI

I am planning on putting a 351W in my 88LX, but it currently has the
2.3L EFI w/ T5. I know I will need an oil pan w/ pickup tube, headers
(BBK), motor mounts, dampener, tranny (AOD), flexplate, etc. I do have
a bunch of questions that I know you guys will be able to answer.
I was wondering if I could put a regulator on the existing fuel system
to drop the pressure where it needs to be to run it to a carbed 351W?

I'm going to have a 351W w/ an AOD, do you think my current drive
shaft will work. I have a 2.3L w/ T-5. Or would I have to get one
from a 5.0 w/ AOD to fit mine?

When I take out the 2.3L, are there holes for the 351W to go into, or
do I have to fab up some brackets to make it fit? If so, does anybody
have any plans for them?

Does anyone make 351W swap drop mounts or just 302 drop mounts for this
application?

Also I have 3.27's in the rear end, should I go higher (w/ AOD)? I
have 3.73 and 4.11 available.

Well that's all I have for, I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks a lot

Old July 15th 05, 08:33 PM
Big Al

"Blink" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am planning on putting a 351W in my 88LX, but it currently has the
> 2.3L EFI w/ T5. I know I will need an oil pan w/ pickup tube, headers
> (BBK), motor mounts, dampener, tranny (AOD), flexplate, etc. I do have
> a bunch of questions that I know you guys will be able to answer.
> I was wondering if I could put a regulator on the existing fuel system
> to drop the pressure where it needs to be to run it to a carbed 351W?
>
> Also I have 3.27's in the rear end, should I go higher (w/ AOD)? I
> have 3.73 and 4.11 available.

Get a complete 5.0 rear end. The one in your car will not hold a 351. Then
think about what ratio you want. The first question would be what are you
going to use the car for?

Al

Old July 15th 05, 09:01 PM
Blink

I do not want to race the car, I might take it to the track once just
to see what it can do, but other than that just a street rod. Sounds
like I should just get rid of this car and try and find a 5.0
car/chassis. know where I can get one in WI, MI, or IL area? As for
the rear end, my dad has the same car with a 429 and his 7.5 held. He
ended up changing it out and putting the 8.8 in, just to be safe. So I
think it would hold a mild 351, versus a strong 429.

Andy B

Old July 16th 05, 01:32 AM
.boB

Blink wrote:

> I am planning on putting a 351W in my 88LX, but it currently has the
> 2.3L EFI w/ T5. I know I will need an oil pan w/ pickup tube, headers
> (BBK), motor mounts, dampener, tranny (AOD), flexplate, etc. I do have
> a bunch of questions that I know you guys will be able to answer.
> I was wondering if I could put a regulator on the existing fuel system
> to drop the pressure where it needs to be to run it to a carbed 351W?

Yes, very simple to do. Get a return style regulator for a carb, and mount it
very close to the carb bowl. Good parts are available from Aeromotive, Holley,
Mallory, and others.
You'll need adapters to mate the factory fuel lines to AN lines. You'll also
need to replace the fuel pump, it won't flow enough for the 351.

> I'm going to have a 351W w/ an AOD, do you think my current drive
> shaft will work. I have a 2.3L w/ T-5. Or would I have to get one
> from a 5.0 w/ AOD to fit mine?

Yes

> When I take out the 2.3L, are there holes for the 351W to go into, or
> do I have to fab up some brackets to make it fit? If so, does anybody
> have any plans for them?

Use 302 motor mounts. The holes should already be in the frame. Drop mounts are
available. Or use stock mounts for a convertible. If you really want to drop it,
use solid mounts.

> Also I have 3.27's in the rear end, should I go higher (w/ AOD)? I
> have 3.73 and 4.11 available.

Since it's just a fun street rod for tooling around town and an occasional drag
strip run, go for the 4.11's.

The rear end will probably hold up for a while, as long as you don't use slicks
or drag tires. The auto doesn't shock load it like a T5 would.
Don't forget to upgrade the springs for the additional weight.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old July 16th 05, 02:23 AM
Ritz

Blink wrote:
> I am planning on putting a 351W in my 88LX, but it currently has the
> 2.3L EFI w/ T5. I know I will need an oil pan w/ pickup tube, headers
> (BBK), motor mounts, dampener, tranny (AOD), flexplate, etc. I do have
> a bunch of questions that I know you guys will be able to answer.

It's completely and utterly not worth the hassle. Just changing the
suspension bits, brakes and rear end will cost more than just buying a
5.0L fox body car with most of the bits you need already installed.
Sell your existing car and get a Mustang that started out with a 5.0.
It will be a MUCH easier process and probably cheaper.

> I was wondering if I could put a regulator on the existing fuel system
> to drop the pressure where it needs to be to run it to a carbed 351W?

No.

> I'm going to have a 351W w/ an AOD, do you think my current drive
> shaft will work.

No.

I have a 2.3L w/ T-5. Or would I have to get one
> from a 5.0 w/ AOD to fit mine?

That would work.

> When I take out the 2.3L, are there holes for the 351W to go into, or
> do I have to fab up some brackets to make it fit? If so, does anybody
> have any plans for them?

Use 5.0 motor mounts.

> Does anyone make 351W swap drop mounts or just 302 drop mounts for this
> application?

Dunno.

> Also I have 3.27's in the rear end, should I go higher (w/ AOD)? I
> have 3.73 and 4.11 available.

3.55 or 3.73 would be my choice. If it's a daily driver, you might even
want a 3.08 with gas prices being what they are today.

> Well that's all I have for, I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

My advice is to sell your existing car and get a 5.0 LX notchback to
work on. It will end up costing you less money in the long run.

> Thanks a lot

No prob.

Cheers,

Old July 18th 05, 06:55 AM
Braxus

He
> ended up changing it out and putting the 8.8 in, just to be safe. So I
> think it would hold a mild 351, versus a strong 429.

It will hold for a while, but it will go through a slow agonizing death. I
put a 351W into my old 79 Stang years back and left the stock C-4 auto
tranny and 7.5 rear end in. Eventually the 7.5 rear blew and the new owners
out in a 8.8 which is a direct bolt in. As others have said- it will be
easier to just get a 5.0L car to begin with and then put in the 351W. I had
an 81 I put a 351W into and we replaced more parts on that car then I car to
mention. Its not worth it. Just get a 5.0L.

? 69 351W stroker tolerances [email protected] Ford Mustang 4 June 27th 05 04:31 AM
351w into a CJ7 Mike Duane Jr. Jeep 2 June 15th 05 12:22 AM
83 351W What will it fit? Spike Ford Mustang 1 May 8th 05 04:14 AM
351W Troubles........................ Ben Witek 4x4 0 February 4th 04 04:58 PM