get gas from tank to run generator

Old May 31st 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default get gas from tank to run generator

Has anyone heard of a kit that you can pump gas from your car into gas
cans? I live in Florida and when power goes out here, you can't even
get gas from the gas stations. Last year I had gas in three five
gallon cans and ran out after five days of running the generator on
and off three hours at a time. If I could the nineteen gallons out of
our explorer, it would sure hel[p. You can't syphon gas out of the
tank.
Thanks
Jay
Old June 1st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Jay1028" > wrote in message
> You can't syphon gas out of the tank.
> Thanks
> Jay

Yes you can...

Old June 1st 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Some cars and trucks have an anti-siphon check bulb in the tube going from
the filler hole to the tank. You can disconnect the tank and siphon from
there, but this can be difficult to do.

Old June 1st 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

What you do is remove the gas line at the engine, add your tube to your can
and turn the key to start without actually starting the car. You need to
power the fuel pump. I haven't tried it but I believe in theory it should
work.

Searcher

Old June 1st 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Don't forget the pressure is about 40- 50 PSI and without engine running the
PCM only let the pump run for a couple of seconds.

Why not buy a universal fuel pump from NAPA and 10 feet of clear,fuel
resistant , hose, connect a wire to the pump with a power point connector on
the other side

Don't Mickey mouse it together, remember, sparks and gas don't go well
together

Old June 1st 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Saw this on a highway patrol car one time when I ran out of gas on the
turnpike (less than a quarter mile from the gas pumps) :

There was a T fitting in the fuel line, under the hood, where you could
reach it easily. The T had a valve on it (don't remember if it was
part of the same fitting or another fitting) and a barbed hose
connector. He attached 10' of clear plastic hose to the barb, put the
other end in my gas tank, opened the valve and let the fuel pump push
about a gallon into my tank.

You could duplicate this by getting the fittings, cutting your fuel
line, and reassembling this. Should be easy to find the parts, but you
want to be sure it's leak free or you'll have a big fire.

Chuck

Old June 1st 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Is this universal fuel pump going to pump out gas at high pressure
also?

On Wed, 31 May 2006 20:56:18 -0700, "JohanB"

Old June 1st 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Hey, thats a neat idea, (do they still use the word "neat"?)

Searcher

Old June 1st 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"cmiles3" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Saw this on a highway patrol car one time when I ran out of gas on the
> turnpike (less than a quarter mile from the gas pumps) :
>
> There was a T fitting in the fuel line, under the hood, where you could
> reach it easily. The T had a valve on it (don't remember if it was
> part of the same fitting or another fitting) and a barbed hose
> connector. He attached 10' of clear plastic hose to the barb, put the
> other end in my gas tank, opened the valve and let the fuel pump push
> about a gallon into my tank.
>
> You could duplicate this by getting the fittings, cutting your fuel
> line, and reassembling this. Should be easy to find the parts, but you
> want to be sure it's leak free or you'll have a big fire.
>
> Chuck
>
> Jay1028 wrote:
>> Has anyone heard of a kit that you can pump gas from your car into gas
>> cans? I live in Florida and when power goes out here, you can't even
>> get gas from the gas stations. Last year I had gas in three five
>> gallon cans and ran out after five days of running the generator on
>> and off three hours at a time. If I could the nineteen gallons out of
>> our explorer, it would sure hel[p. You can't syphon gas out of the
>> tank.
>> Thanks
>> Jay

Modern day electronic fuel injected automobiles have pre-made high pressure
fuel lines, you don't just cut them and clamp barbed fittings into them.
You may be able to have some special lines made but that wouldn't be cheap.

Old June 2nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Jay1028 wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a kit that you can pump gas from your car into gas
> cans? I live in Florida and when power goes out here, you can't even
> get gas from the gas stations. Last year I had gas in three five
> gallon cans and ran out after five days of running the generator on
> and off three hours at a time. If I could the nineteen gallons out of
> our explorer, it would sure hel[p. You can't syphon gas out of the
> tank.
> Thanks
> Jay

Gov Bush signed a bill today that should improve the ability to get gas,
many stations will now (?next season?) have generators.. What a concept!

Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.

Gas Tank Level Theory Elle Honda 26 January 14th 06 05:00 PM
Odyssey Gas Tank Leaks only when 100% Full Mensa Honda 9 December 27th 05 08:57 PM
Ooops! put diesel in my riding lawn mower gas tank. Help before the wife finds out! DOOH Technology 7 December 9th 05 04:16 AM
Chevy 1971 K20 Auxiliary Gas Tank TheSnoMan Technology 0 October 23rd 05 11:06 PM
gas tank sealants-US Standard & others - risk of clogging tiny tank vents etc? bill yohler Antique cars 1 February 29th 04 06:42 AM