4WD LIGHTS flashing while driving

Old May 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 4WD LIGHTS flashing while driving

when I'm driving down the autobahn my 4 WD and 4WD Low lights start flashing
on my 89 explorer
they flash 6 times then stop. after going 5-10 Miles they do it again.
anyone have this problem or know what it is trying to tell me if it is a
system warning?

thanks
Old May 25th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

You need to have the codes pulled

Possible xfer case speed sensors and/ or 4x4 motor

Old May 25th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

wrong year, it is a 98. any ideal where i can get teh codes?

Old May 25th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The flashing is reporting that the GEM computer which controls the Control
Trac 4WD system (as well as other things) has detected a problem, and likely
in your situation it is one of the speed sensors mounted in the transfer
case. The way the system automatically increases power to the front wheels
is by monitoring the relative speeds of the front and rear driveshafts. If
the rear is turning faster than the front, it must be slipping, so the
transfer case clutch engagement period (it is pulsed) is increased in
increments until the speed of the rear is equal or less than the front. If
it gets to full engagement (locked transfer case, like selecting 4WD-Hi) and
this speed difference seems to remain, the GEM realizes this cannot be, so
it shuts off the 4WD and flashes the lights inside.

These are Hall-effect sensors that read the passing of gear teeth to send
pulses to the computer and many have found that just cleaning them helps,
probably because metal bits get caught up in the teeth or on the sensor face
over time. Connectors should also be checked, or the sensors can just be
replaced. As I recall, there are 3 in the case, but only 2 have to do with
the 4WD function...I think the other was for vehicle speed.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

Old May 25th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks VIC
Will pull and clean them this weekend. let you know on Tuesday how it worked.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Mac

Old May 31st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

eurrider via CarKB.com wrote:
> wrong year, it is a 98. any ideal where i can get teh codes?
>
> eurrider wrote:
> >when I'm driving down the autobahn my 4 WD and 4WD Low lights start flashing
> >on my 89 explorer
> >they flash 6 times then stop. after going 5-10 Miles they do it again.
> >anyone have this problem or know what it is trying to tell me if it is a
> >system warning?
> >
> >thanks

1998 Explorer in UK- Finding anybody who has any knowledge Nill. Even
Ford Main agents I have tried and at £60 per hour experimenting is a
difficult pill.
Further to your problem above I have a similar problem with lights and
a smart GEM Looking allover I found that if removed the battery power
and reconnected in 1 hour reset GEM and its fine except, If I move to
Low 4WD it stays in this mode - to fix remove batt lead reset all OK.
Any body help. Is this to do with the cam, motor, dirt , sensors etc

Driving lights on with parking lights Bipestuff Mazda 5 February 19th 06 12:34 AM
Driving Lights for Sale notme Ford Explorer 0 December 26th 05 03:32 PM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
98 Ply Voyager - flashing cluster lights shardon Chrysler 1 March 22nd 05 08:31 PM
1998 Driving Lights Steve Ford Explorer 2 January 11th 05 04:19 AM