2000 Explorer Power Seat Stopped.

Old May 30th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 2000 Explorer Power Seat Stopped.

Hi All.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer with 6 way power seats (does not have
memory feature) the seat stopped working in the reverse direction. Goes
forward, up and down but not toward the rear. Is there any known fix
for this issue other then a new seat track from Ford? The part alone
lists for 426.50 Plus tax.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom on how to correct this issue.
John L.

Old May 30th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi All.
>
> I have a 2000 Ford Explorer with 6 way power seats (does not have
> memory feature) the seat stopped working in the reverse direction. Goes
> forward, up and down but not toward the rear. Is there any known fix
> for this issue other then a new seat track from Ford? The part alone
> lists for 426.50 Plus tax.
>
> Thanks in advance for any wisdom on how to correct this issue.

You could try lubricating the seat track. However, I jsut had this exact
problem in my Thunderbird and the fix (under warranty) was a new seat base.
You also need to check the price at a discount Ford Parts dealer (like
www.directfordparts.com). The drivers side power seat track for a 2000 4
Door Explorer without the memory feature is $277.90 from directfordparts.com
(try http://tinyurl.com/rmqml ). You might also look for a used power seat
base, but personally I'd go for the new one.

Ed

Old May 31st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi All.
>
> I have a 2000 Ford Explorer with 6 way power seats (does not have
> memory feature) the seat stopped working in the reverse direction. Goes
> forward, up and down but not toward the rear. Is there any known fix
> for this issue other then a new seat track from Ford? The part alone
> lists for 426.50 Plus tax.
>
> Thanks in advance for any wisdom on how to correct this issue.
> John L.

Does it act like it's binding or does it make no effort to move?

Dave

Old May 31st 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Hairy wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I have a 2000 Ford Explorer with 6 way power seats (does not have
> > memory feature) the seat stopped working in the reverse direction. Goes
> > forward, up and down but not toward the rear. Is there any known fix
> > for this issue other then a new seat track from Ford? The part alone
> > lists for 426.50 Plus tax.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any wisdom on how to correct this issue.
> > John L.
> >

> Does it act like it's binding or does it make no effort to move?
>
> Dave

Dave thanks for you inquiry. This is definitely not a situation where
there is a bind in the seat track or the seat belt attachment. The
motor which moves the seat forward and back only clicks when attempting
to move toward rear. Even though the seat id fully forward. The motor
still attempts to move the seat forward when the forward button is
pushed. It definitely seems to be an electrical issue.I would have
loved to swap the switches between driver and passenger seats, but they
are not the same part number.

Old May 31st 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

C. E. White wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I have a 2000 Ford Explorer with 6 way power seats (does not have
> > memory feature) the seat stopped working in the reverse direction. Goes
> > forward, up and down but not toward the rear. Is there any known fix
> > for this issue other then a new seat track from Ford? The part alone
> > lists for 426.50 Plus tax.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any wisdom on how to correct this issue.

> You could try lubricating the seat track. However, I jsut had this exact
> problem in my Thunderbird and the fix (under warranty) was a new seat base.
> You also need to check the price at a discount Ford Parts dealer (like
> www.directfordparts.com). The drivers side power seat track for a 2000 4
> Door Explorer without the memory feature is $277.90 from directfordparts.com
> (try http://tinyurl.com/rmqml ). You might also look for a used power seat
> base, but personally I'd go for the new one.
>
> Ed

Ed thanks for this lead. I did contact this group and it does apear I
can save a sizable amount ordering the part in this manner. I'm just
working on pinpointing the cause as the track which usually seems to be
the case.

Thanks
John L.

Thanks again, John.