Land Rover Discovery bonnet release at 60 km/h

Old June 5th 06, 08:51 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

Default Land Rover Discovery bonnet release at 60 km/h

Magic Mushroom Farmer > wrote:

>> Since the car has done <60 000 km I didn't think loose bolts would be
>> an issue; and if they were, I thought Land Rover would note it in the
>> manual and/or inspect these bolts at service.
>>

> Nah......you might aswell check that you have your cloths on.
> You need Bonnet Pins

and some simple fear - it's a great safety feature. having had exactly
this happen to me in a MKIV zephyr/zodic/whatever way back when a youth I
constantly monitor bonnet status just as I monitor where traffic is around
me, coolant temp, etc....

When the 110 decided to release the bonnet it was caught nicely by the
secondary catch - failure was sticky release cable.

--
William Tasso

110 V8
Old June 5th 06, 09:49 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Travelling at 60 km/h on the Glow Worm Tunnel Rd, Newnes State Forest

<SNIP>

> Has anyone heard of this happening to Land Rovers?

**Well, it is a Pommy car, you know. Why are you surprised that the Poms
still build crap vehicles? The only other time I am aware that this occurred
was when my high school girlfriend was having a driving lesson with one of
my mates. His Morris Minor lost it's bonnet in the same way. Flew right over
the top of the car, after hitting the windscreen. My girlfriend was lucky to
survive.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old June 5th 06, 09:52 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

Austin Shackles wrote:
> >That was my thought too, but the smash repairer said then they'd never
> >be able to be undone, if required (when would that be?). He suspected I
> >bought a "Friday afternoon" car, and that possibly some spring washers
> >were omitted.

> you can get the sort of loctite that's undoable. and anyway, how often does
> the bonnet catch need undoing?
> --

Yeah, I agree. That's an option that I like.

Old June 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

Trevor Wilson wrote:

<Snipped antipodean racist ****e>

knobhead> My girlfriend was lucky to survive.

You sure about that ****?

--

Subaru WRX
Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Old June 5th 06, 10:23 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

On or around 5 Jun 2006 13:52:19 -0700, "
> enlightened us thusly:

>Austin Shackles wrote:
>> >That was my thought too, but the smash repairer said then they'd never
>> >be able to be undone, if required (when would that be?). He suspected I
>> >bought a "Friday afternoon" car, and that possibly some spring washers
>> >were omitted.

>> you can get the sort of loctite that's undoable. and anyway, how often does
>> the bonnet catch need undoing?
>> --

>Yeah, I agree. That's an option that I like.

they put blue loctite or simialr on brake caliper bolts on some stuff.
In Touch: Get in touch with yourself by touching yourself.
If somebody is watching, stop touching yourself.
from the Little Book of Complete B***ocks by Alistair Beaton.
Old June 5th 06, 10:42 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

"Nige" > wrote in message
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
> <Snipped antipodean racist ****e>

**Nope. No racist ****e. Just the facts. Here's another fine example of
British automotive engineering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Robin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpztVxOtv...rch=Top%20Gear

And another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald

One of my mates used to own a Range Rover. After a ski trip in one, I
remarked that the only part of the car which moved quickly, on depressing
the accelerator pedal was the tacho. It was a slow, expensive, unreliable
piece of ****. But hey, defend it all you want.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old June 6th 06, 01:17 AM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

Paul - xxx wrote:
> came up with the following;:
>
>> Has anyone heard of this happening to Land Rovers?

> Not mine, but the front corners of the bonnet do move somewhat
> alarmingly at speeds above 60mph on the motorways.
>
>> The most important issue for me and my family is, why did this
>> accident happen?

> It does look like you [1] just haven't spotted the bolts and catch are
> loose when you've been doing the normal, everyday checks we [2] all do.
>
>> Furthermore, what will stop it happening again?

> The normal, everyday checks we all do, but add one, for your own piece
> of mind, that includes checking the bonnet release. Actually I have to
> spray mine regularly with WD40/Plusgas etc to keep it free .. it always
> seems to stiffen up after a few weeks.
>
> [1] I do also mean any service 'personnel' who might have been doing the
> servicing.
>
> [2] That's the royal 'we', I don't pretend to speak for everyone, but
> mean 'we' as a family of drivers.

Too many drivers of modern cars almost never open the bonnet of their
vehicle to do basic checks.
Many drivers seem to think that nothing under the bonnet needs checking
inbetween services which in a way is a tribute to the reliablity of
modern vehicles but IMO its wrong and can lead to problems which would
of otherwise been found and rectified long before they became dangerous.

Daryl
Old June 6th 06, 12:34 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:42:09 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"
> wrote:

>"Nige" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>> <Snipped antipodean racist ****e>

>**Nope. No racist ****e. Just the facts. Here's another fine example of
>British automotive engineering:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Robin
>
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpztVxOtv...rch=Top%20Gear
>
>And another:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald
>
>One of my mates used to own a Range Rover. After a ski trip in one, I
>remarked that the only part of the car which moved quickly, on depressing
>the accelerator pedal was the tacho. It was a slow, expensive, unreliable
>piece of ****. But hey, defend it all you want.

The fuel gauges also move very fast on range rovers! ;-)

Youve noticed this thread is going out in alt.fan.landrover too? which
is also fairly UK based, so theres just no need to start trolling!
There are plenty of Aussie things we could pick on if we tried!

I also dont see how anybody could take offence to a reliant robin or
triumph herald! Sure they may have their faults, but so does
everything and they are somewhat more intersting than the majority of
new cars on the road that all look the same..

Old June 6th 06, 02:22 PM posted to aus.cars,alt.fan.landrover,rec.autos.4x4

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 07:42:09 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"
> wrote:

>http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpztVxOtv...rch=Top%20Gear

ROFL, anyone who would buy a three wheel vehicle is getting just waht
they ask for! Fun!!!
Old June 6th 06, 02:26 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,aus.cars,rec.autos.4x4

Albm&ctd wrote:

> Should have bought a Lada. It opens the other way.

Or a Saab... <SLAP> Ouch!

--
ant