Leaky Push-rod Tubes - NOT

Old May 28th 05, 06:46 PM
John Willis

On 28 May 2005 10:14:35 -0700, scribbled this
interesting note:

>John Willis wrote:
>>

>> Will the last two chapters ever be available?

>Shortly after being written the hard-drive containing the TULZ series
>crashed. I used a tape-streamer for back-up back then and the series
>might be on the last tape. But it's too much trouble to dig it out.
>
>-Bob

Ah, I understand. I'd probably feel the same way!

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 28th 05, 06:47 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:07:35 GMT, Anthony W >

wrote:

>> Any time you say something that
>> does not agree with the accepted Conventional Wisdoms you can expect a
>> lot of hate mail from the dweebs. And from those with a commerical
>> interest in keeping them dumbed-down as far as possible. (Yanking the
>> thermostat is a good idea, right? :-)
>>
>> -Bob Hoover

>I know what you mean. As a former motorcycle mechanic I curse the day
>the Japanese resurrected motorscooters. Evil and twitchy little devices
>that are hard to work on and they seem to be designed to crash.
>Needless to say this hasn't been a very popular view point mostly with
>people that want a scooter but have never ridden one.
>
>Tony

The gyroscopic stabilization devices on scooters just ain't big
enough!

Old May 28th 05, 07:19 PM
MUADIB®

>The gyroscopic stabilization devices on scooters just ain't big
>enough!

Nor is the front wheel on those crotch rockets.

Major issue to me too.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?
Old May 28th 05, 11:30 PM
Joey Tribiani

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message

>>The gyroscopic stabilization devices on scooters just ain't big
>>enough!

> Nor is the front wheel on those crotch rockets.
>
> Major issue to me too.

never been a problem for me....can run out of back tire long before i run
out of front tire...

Old May 29th 05, 12:00 AM
Scott Sansom

> ...then the odds are you won't take it very seriously. For me, it's my
> means of transportation.

Actually Bob, I take them very seriously. The first car I ever owned
was a 64 Type 1. Got it when I was 15 years old (I'm a lot older than
that now). Didn't have the money to do everything I wanted to put it
right back then but now I do. No, I won't drive it every day but I will
enjoy the hell out of working on it and driving it when the mood strikes.

Scott
Old May 29th 05, 01:01 AM
John Willis

On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:00:19 GMT, Scott Sansom >
scribbled this interesting note:

>> ...then the odds are you won't take it very seriously. For me, it's my
>> means of transportation.
>>

>Actually Bob, I take them very seriously. The first car I ever owned
>was a 64 Type 1. Got it when I was 15 years old (I'm a lot older than
>that now). Didn't have the money to do everything I wanted to put it
>right back then but now I do. No, I won't drive it every day but I will
>enjoy the hell out of working on it and driving it when the mood strikes.
>
>Scott

Then what are you doin' jawin' about it, man! Get out there and make
some progress!:~)

Old May 29th 05, 02:56 AM
MUADIB®

>never been a problem for me....can run out of back tire long before i run
>out of front tire...

What does that have to do with Gyroscopics????

I use up the "power" tire first on almost everything I have
driven........Yeah, I have a slightly heavy foot. It's the tiny front
wheel we're talking about. Not how much tread one has.

I have watched some videos and seen some results of the front wheel on
thos crotch rockets going willy nilly and eventually throwing the
rider. All it takes is something to have a "groove" pattern on the
surface ridden and it will set up gyrations that make the smaller tire
unstable, and thus start shimmying and make a guy lose it. EVEN A
STRONG FELLA.....(not yelling, just making a strong ppoint here)

John made a good point. I just followed it up with agreement. It is by
all means a goood point. I recommend the largest diameter feasible on
pretty much any bike. Or maybe just ride with the understanding of the
Gyroscopics.

Good luck and don't use up the tire before you replace it.

Old May 29th 05, 05:13 AM
Joey Tribiani

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message

>>never been a problem for me....can run out of back tire long before i run
>>out of front tire...
>>

> What does that have to do with Gyroscopics????

i take it you are not a "motorcycle" person? the front tire is the
"gyroscopic" tire...it is the one that constantly compensates for the
motorcycle wanting to "fall over"....its basic motorcycling knowledge...

> I use up the "power" tire first on almost everything I have
> driven........Yeah, I have a slightly heavy foot. It's the tiny front
> wheel we're talking about. Not how much tread one has.

what i was speaking of has zero to do with power....you can run out of rear
tire before the front with the engine off.... front tires on motorcycles are
*always* narrower and a sharper "v" than the rear tire....so it can do the
above mentioned compensating....

> I have watched some videos and seen some results of the front wheel on
> thos crotch rockets going willy nilly and eventually throwing the
> rider. All it takes is something to have a "groove" pattern on the
> surface ridden and it will set up gyrations that make the smaller tire
> unstable, and thus start shimmying and make a guy lose it. EVEN A
> STRONG FELLA.....(not yelling, just making a strong ppoint here)

you are refering to a "tank slapper"....as far as being caused by a "smaller
tire" it is not...it is steering harmonics...normally occurs under serious
power, which results in the front tire being very "light"....the handle bars
begin occillating from the front tires natural tendencies to fight falling
over and it is comprable to the "superbeetle shimmy"..... strength has
nothing to do with being able to get a tank slapper under control, because
the more you fight it the worse it gets....the reccommended procedure is to
take tension *off* the bars and to roll off the throttle....what does this
have to do with "gyroscopic" again?

> John made a good point. I just followed it up with agreement. It is by
> all means a goood point. I recommend the largest diameter feasible on
> pretty much any bike. Or maybe just ride with the understanding of the
> Gyroscopics.

i do understand gyroscopics and also realize that it is a small part of
motorcycling... as far as your eronious statement about the small tires on
those "crotch rockets" and them being prone to going "nilly willy" has
nothing to do with the size(which btw is normally the same diameter as the
rear tire...in my bikes case, that would be 17") but everything to do with
the weight distribution of the bike and the steering "geometry"...a "crotch
rocket:" is actually *MORE* stable in a turn than it is in a straight
line....its designed that way...but don't take *my* word for it, use
google...

> Good luck and don't use up the tire before you replace it.

"using" up the tire has nothing to do with "wearing" it out....

Old May 29th 05, 05:34 AM
Scott Sansom

John Willis wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:00:19 GMT, Scott Sansom >
> scribbled this interesting note:
>

>>>...then the odds are you won't take it very seriously. For me, it's my
>>>means of transportation.
>>>

>>Actually Bob, I take them very seriously. The first car I ever owned
>>was a 64 Type 1. Got it when I was 15 years old (I'm a lot older than
>>that now). Didn't have the money to do everything I wanted to put it
>>right back then but now I do. No, I won't drive it every day but I will
>>enjoy the hell out of working on it and driving it when the mood strikes.
>>
>>Scott

> Then what are you doin' jawin' about it, man! Get out there and make
> some progress!:~)
>

> --
> John Willis
> (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

I'm trying man. The plan is 1.) Build Shop 2.) Buy Tools 3.) Search
for Bug 4.) Buy Bug. 5.) Repair and Restore (i.e. the really fun part).

Step 1 is in progress (getting concrete poured this week and framers
hopefully show up next week. I've also kinda jumped into Step 2 as
well. The local Harbor Freight folks are starting to look at me a
little funny cause I am in there about every other day. Been picking up
air tools as they go on sale. Just about got that covered. Also been
hanging around the tool department at the local Sears, but not as much
as I had a pretty complete set of Craftsman hand tools already. Wife is
onboard for completing the shop so we can get all the tools out of the
house. Can't buy the big stuff like air compressors or Mig welders yet
since I really don't have a place to put them. Working on number 3 as
well. I'm not in the mode where I am going to jump at the first
suitable car, but if I find a car in really good condition at a good
price I would probably buy in and stick it in one of those self storage
places for a couple of months when I expect the shop will be complete.
Been wanting and planning a shop for a couple of years now and it is
pretty exciting to finally get it going.

Speaking of air compressors, anyone got a particular brand/model they
like. Right now the one I am leaning towards is a twin cylinder
Ingersol Rand 80 gallon vertical tank from Northern Tools. If I recall
it does like 18 CFM at 125 PSI. It's a twin cylinder machine but not a
true two stage (i.e. the twin cylinders are in parallel, not in series)
so it has plenty of CFM but it doesn't go to 175 psi like most of the
two stage compressors. I definitely want the high CFMs and I can't
think of an application that required over 125 psi. Any opinions on that?

Thanks,

Scott

Old May 29th 05, 06:21 AM
Anthony W

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> i do understand gyroscopics and also realize that it is a small part of
> motorcycling... as far as your eronious statement about the small tires on
> those "crotch rockets" and them being prone to going "nilly willy" has
> nothing to do with the size(which btw is normally the same diameter as the
> rear tire...in my bikes case, that would be 17") but everything to do with
> the weight distribution of the bike and the steering "geometry"...a "crotch
> rocket:" is actually *MORE* stable in a turn than it is in a straight
> line....its designed that way...but don't take *my* word for it, use
> google...

Small part of motorcycling? Motorcycling would be impossible without
gyroscopics.

The small tires I was talking about are on scooters not sport bikes and
are usually 10 to 12" and about 3" wide. Apples and oranges to what
you're talking about.

Tony