Oldsmobile Intrigue 2001 Burning Oil???

Old June 1st 05, 09:51 PM
snalion

Default Oldsmobile Intrigue 2001 Burning Oil???

Hello, I hope someone on this board can answer my question.
I have an Oldsmobile Intrigue 2001 model. Of late, everytime I switch
my car off, I smell oil. I have opened the hood but have not seen any
leaks anywhere. I am not an expert in cars at all. So any advice would
be helpful.
Also, another thing is that whenever I switch my AC on, it blows stinky
air first and then its fine. Any ideas or advice for that too? Any help
would be appreciated.

Thank you
Snalion

Old June 1st 05, 10:44 PM
fbloogyudsr

"snalion" > wrote
> Hello, I hope someone on this board can answer my question.
> I have an Oldsmobile Intrigue 2001 model. Of late, everytime I switch
> my car off, I smell oil. I have opened the hood but have not seen any
> leaks anywhere. I am not an expert in cars at all. So any advice would
> be helpful.

Well, if you had the oil changed recently they might have spilled some.
Usually leaks are more obvious from underneath: my advce is to go
to Jiffy Lube and have them change the oil - they'll check all that stuff
for their $29.95.

> Also, another thing is that whenever I switch my AC on, it blows stinky
> air first and then its fine. Any ideas or advice for that too? Any help
> would be appreciated.

A minute or two before you stop, turn off the a/c - that will allow the
condensed water on the evaporator to evaporate so it won't be there
when you start it back up. You also need to check the evaporator's
drain tube (drains off condensed water dripping off the evaporator):
the Jiffy Lube people would probably do so for free.

Floyd
Old June 1st 05, 11:08 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, fbloogyudsr wrote:

> Usually leaks are more obvious from underneath: my advce is to go to
> Jiffy Lube and have them change the oil - they'll check all that stuff
> for their $29.95.

You've got to be joking. Jiffy-Lube and all the rest of the quicky oil
change parlors are notorious for spilling oil, under- or over-tightening
drain plugs and other such crapwork, NOT for finding and repairing such
mayhem!

Old June 1st 05, 11:20 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, fbloogyudsr wrote:
>
>> Usually leaks are more obvious from underneath: my advce is to go to
>> Jiffy Lube and have them change the oil - they'll check all that stuff
>> for their $29.95.

> You've got to be joking. Jiffy-Lube and all the rest of the quicky oil
> change parlors are notorious for spilling oil, under- or over-tightening
> drain plugs and other such crapwork, NOT for finding and repairing such
> mayhem!

Well, yes, but $30 is cheaper than the minimum $90 or so charge
your friendly dealer will charge. I agree that an independent garage
would be a better choice - I have one on the corner of Coal Creek
Parkway and SR 900 in Renton, WA if you want to use them. ;->
Old June 2nd 05, 02:59 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, fbloogyudsr wrote:

> > You've got to be joking. Jiffy-Lube and all the rest of the quicky oil
> > change parlors are notorious for spilling oil, under- or
> > over-tightening drain plugs and other such crapwork, NOT for finding
> > and repairing such mayhem!

> Well, yes, but $30 is cheaper than the minimum $90 or so charge your
> friendly dealer will charge. I agree that an independent garage would
> be a better choice - I have one on the corner of Coal Creek Parkway and
> SR 900 in Renton, WA if you want to use them. ;->

I've already got one in Seattle if I were out there (Scott Sherman
Automotive on Eastlake.)

Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 General 15 April 28th 05 01:25 PM
2001 Dodge Stratus R/T and 2001 Eclipse GT Dodge 2 April 23rd 05 05:58 AM
2001 Olds Intrigue - Starting Problems Ashton Technology 0 March 28th 05 06:11 PM
"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
Flasher ? for 2001 up/Led Taillights Intergate Jeep 7 February 15th 05 07:00 PM