A/T skipping 1st gear

Old July 9th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

Default A/T skipping 1st gear

"Charles" > wrote:
> I had that same problem on my '88 Prelude. When hot the resistance of
> solenoids A and B both went to nearly 1,000 ohms. Normally they're at
> 24 ohms. I noticed the problem first as a "flare" in the shifting
> between second and third. After a while the solenoids exhibited high
> resistance even when cold and the computer started to complain.

Well, when the problem happened it was pretty hot. Since then I tried to
limit my driving during the cooler parts of the day and for short
distances, just in case it was heat related.

>> The Service Manual includes quite an involved troubleshooting
>> procedure for code "8" to determine whether the cause was indeed the
>> solenoid or some short in the wires connected to the solenoid. I just
>> hope the mechanic took the time to go through that procedure instead
>> of taking the easy (and expensive) way out by prescribing a new
>> solenoid.

> Not likely and not profitable for the shop. Be sure you get the "bad"
> computer module if they replace it.

Only the solenoid will be replaced.

> Better yet measure the resistance yourself before giving them the car
> again. How many hundreds of dollars is a new computer? How much will
> you spend if you just have a bad connector or completely different
> problem? Some symptoms overlap and you may be seeing a false positive.

I agree but I am willing to risk the couple hundred dollars for the
solenoid that will probably give me a good case to have the problem
fixed for free if it turns out that not the solenoid was the culprit. I
will also make sure to get the old solenoid from them.

> I had a bad connector at the computer the last time I saw the #8 error
> code. I substituted a known good computer. (A rare $5 find on eBay.)
> Problem remained. Cleaned the connector at the transmission. Problem
> remained. Fixed a poorly seated contact at the computer end of the
> cable. Problem fixed.

You are obviously handier with these thing than I am.
By the way, I wonder if there ever was a Honda service bulletin issued
on this subject. Is there any place on the Net where one can find all
Honda SBs?

DB

Old July 9th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

"motsco_" > wrote:
> Poke through these:
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#engelectrical

Thanks, I did just that and found a lot of interesting stuff there but
nothing directly relating to my specific issue.

DB

Old July 10th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Dabbler wrote:
>> Be sure you get the "bad" computer module if they replace it.

> Only the solenoid will be replaced.

Oops. I was thinking solenoids and wrote computer module.
The damage to your wallet from a new solenoid assembly should be less than
$200 plus labor.

--
Chuck

Old July 10th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Charles wrote:
> Dabbler wrote:
>>> Be sure you get the "bad" computer module if they replace it.

>> Only the solenoid will be replaced.

> Oops. I was thinking solenoids and wrote computer module.
> The damage to your wallet from a new solenoid assembly should be less than
> $200 plus labor.

---------------------------

There's a good TSB about the solenoids in the CLUTCH / TRANSMISSION
section he

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/index.html
Old July 10th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

"Charles" > wrote:
> Oops. I was thinking solenoids and wrote computer module.
> The damage to your wallet from a new solenoid assembly should be less
> than $200 plus labor.

Actually $247.

DB

Old July 10th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

"motsco_" > wrote:
> There's a good TSB about the solenoids in the CLUTCH / TRANSMISSION
> section he
>
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/index.html

Not applicable for my case though.

DB
Old July 22nd 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

Well, at last my Honda dealer got the shift control solenoid and
installed it. That gives me now some peace of mind. However, I still
wonder if the short drive (about 3 miles) that took me to get the
crippled car home caused any other damage in the A/T. Since the lower
gears did not engage, there must have been excessive wear on the clutch
pads inside, just as if you try to start a M/T car in 3rd or 4th gear.
When I got home I could even smell a slight burn odor which I figured
must have been caused by the friction from the clutch pads. If my guess
is right, the ATF then must have absorbed a bunch of burned particles
from that pads and maybe at a minimum the A/T should be flushed. I was
kinda' surprised that the Honda service techies did not call my
attention to this. Am I perhaps too concerned here?

DB

Old July 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Dabbler wrote:
> ...I still
> wonder if the short drive (about 3 miles) that took me to get the
> crippled car home caused any other damage in the A/T. Since the lower
> gears did not engage...

The usual default gears when the transmission computer goes into impaired
operation mode are second and fourth. You start out in second and, skipping
third, go to fourth.

> When I got home I could even smell a slight burn odor which
> I figured must have been caused by the friction from the clutch pads.

It's unlikely that you smelled something from the transmission. The
transmission is sealed. The only possible opening is the dipstick tube.

Pull out the transmission dipstick. The fluid should be pink and not smell
burnt.

> Am I perhaps too concerned here?

Yes.
--
Chuck

Old July 22nd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dabbler

"Charles" > wrote:
> The usual default gears when the transmission computer goes into
> impaired operation mode are second and fourth. You start out in second
> and, skipping third, go to fourth.

I wish I had known that. My usual habit is to set the gear into 3rd when
I am in the city with max. 35 MPH speed limit. I think that's what I was
doing then. Thanks for this info anyway. It might come handy one day.

> It's unlikely that you smelled something from the transmission. The
> transmission is sealed. The only possible opening is the dipstick
> tube.
>
> Pull out the transmission dipstick. The fluid should be pink and not
> smell burnt.

I checked and it still looks pink w/o any burnt smell.

>> Am I perhaps too concerned here?

> Yes.

Good! :-)

DB

Old July 22nd 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Dabbler wrote:
> Well, at last my Honda dealer got the shift control solenoid and
> installed it. That gives me now some peace of mind. However, I still
> wonder if the short drive (about 3 miles) that took me to get the
> crippled car home caused any other damage in the A/T. Since the lower
> gears did not engage, there must have been excessive wear on the clutch
> pads inside,

the clutch packs only slip during the actual shift. after that, any
differential is taken up by the torque converter.

> just as if you try to start a M/T car in 3rd or 4th gear.
> When I got home I could even smell a slight burn odor which I figured
> must have been caused by the friction from the clutch pads. If my guess
> is right, the ATF then must have absorbed a bunch of burned particles
> from that pads and maybe at a minimum the A/T should be flushed. I was
> kinda' surprised that the Honda service techies did not call my
> attention to this. Am I perhaps too concerned here?
>
> DB

97 TJ Engine Skipping Chugging When Damp [email protected] Jeep 11 July 12th 07 02:16 AM
BMW Auto box gear select problem (offset drive gear???) Wierd richie BMW 36 May 28th 07 11:17 AM
Can a laser thermometer pinpoint skipping cylinder? sdlomi2[_2_] Technology 10 November 15th 06 10:16 AM
Transmission skipping nirodac Chrysler 0 December 8th 05 03:51 AM
can feel the gear vibration through my automatic gear selector JOSH13 Audi 0 September 27th 05 12:29 AM