AC cycles on/off every 10 seconds

Old August 26th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bucky3

Default AC cycles on/off every 10 seconds

I don't know if my car has always done this, but I realized recently
that my AC compressor cycles on/off every 10 seconds when idling at a
stop light. Is that normal?

I have a 2001 Civic. The outside temp was about 80s, low humidity
(maybe 25%). In terms of cooling the cabin, the AC works fine. But
when I'm idling, I notice the AC compressor will turn on for about 10
seconds, then turn off for 10 seconds, which seems too frequent to me.
(I can't tell what it does when I'm driving because I can't hear the
compressor).
Old August 26th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

Several threads at honda-tech.com have discussions of a/c
problems like yours. I suggest registering there (no charge
and no spam) and then searching the site. For best results
when searching there, check off "Data Set... Archived
content" and "Search In... Post Bodies." It should give you
some ideas on whether you need to troubleshoot this.

Old August 26th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MG

"bucky3" > wrote in message
>I don't know if my car has always done this, but I realized recently
> that my AC compressor cycles on/off every 10 seconds when idling at a
> stop light. Is that normal?
>
> I have a 2001 Civic. The outside temp was about 80s, low humidity
> (maybe 25%). In terms of cooling the cabin, the AC works fine. But
> when I'm idling, I notice the AC compressor will turn on for about 10
> seconds, then turn off for 10 seconds, which seems too frequent to me.
> (I can't tell what it does when I'm driving because I can't hear the
> compressor).

That's a classic sign of low refrigerant.

Old August 30th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:19:38 -0400, "MG" >
wrote:

>"bucky3" > wrote in message
>>I don't know if my car has always done this, but I realized recently
>> that my AC compressor cycles on/off every 10 seconds when idling at a
>> stop light. Is that normal?
>>
>> I have a 2001 Civic. The outside temp was about 80s, low humidity
>> (maybe 25%). In terms of cooling the cabin, the AC works fine. But
>> when I'm idling, I notice the AC compressor will turn on for about 10
>> seconds, then turn off for 10 seconds, which seems too frequent to me.
>> (I can't tell what it does when I'm driving because I can't hear the
>> compressor).

>That's a classic sign of low refrigerant.
>

>** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Agreed on this year Civic I would say so.

On the newer 08 Accords the compressor kicks on more frequently than I
have ever seen in any car before. The question that we will need to
start asking is does it cycle faster than in the past?

Old August 31st 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
IB

>>That's a classic sign of low refrigerant.
>>

>>** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

> Agreed on this year Civic I would say so.
>
> On the newer 08 Accords the compressor kicks on more frequently than I
> have ever seen in any car before. The question that we will need to
> start asking is does it cycle faster than in the past?

If when the clutch switches off, the vent temp is 8C approx, it's normal
evaporator ice stat activity.

If when the clutch switches off the vent temp is much more than 12C, it's
low on gas (or some other problem)

www.poolecool.co.uk

'94 AC Diverter & Comp Cycles Ric Seyler[_2_] Corvette 3 May 9th 08 03:31 PM
98 Civic acting up about 30 seconds after driving, goes away after 10-15 seconds. Hesitation... Help please. 85miles Honda 2 October 24th 07 06:28 PM
cant smog OB2 drive cycles wont complete97SL2 localyocal Saturn 0 February 19th 06 10:31 PM
10 Seconds Z’RiX Corvette 9 November 8th 05 02:28 PM
92 temperature cycles DAVMO Ford Explorer 0 October 22nd 04 06:43 PM