86 Accord Failed Emissions High CO

Old August 17th 08, 07:59 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JP[_9_]

Default 86 Accord Failed Emissions High CO

My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test. Results
shown below. High CO at cruise, but passes on everything else.
I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on each of these I
have just squeeked by on the CO. I remember years earlier that the CO was
zero at cruise, but now it's more than double the allowable.

HC (PPM) CO (%) CO+CO2 (%) O2 (%)
RPM
2525 Limit: 160 1.20 > 6
N/A N/A
2525 Emissions: 120 2.99 16.39
0.0 N/A
2525 Result: PASS FAIL N/A N/A
N/A

Idle Limit: 220 1.20 > 6
N/A N/A
Idle Emissions: 64 0.00 14.80
0.7 1080
Idle Result: PASS PASS N/A
N/A N/A
Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for a
waiver?

Thanks,
John

Old August 17th 08, 02:42 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle[_4_]

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2000/ic60032.htm

"JP" > wrote

Old August 19th 08, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Aug 17, 2:59*am, "JP" > wrote:
> My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test. *Results
> shown below. *High CO at cruise, but passes on everything else.
> I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on each of these I
> have just squeeked by on the CO. *I remember years earlier that the CO was
> zero at cruise, *but now it's more than double the allowable.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *HC (PPM) * * CO (%) * * CO+CO2 (%) * * O2 (%)
> RPM
> 2525 Limit: * * * * * *160 * * * * * *1.20 * * * * * * > 6
> N/A * * * * * * N/A
> 2525 Emissions: * * *120 * * * * * * 2.99 * * * * * * 16.39
> 0.0 * * * * * * N/A
> 2525 Result: * * * * PASS * * * * * FAIL * * * * * * N/A * * * * * * * * N/A
> N/A
>
> Idle Limit: * * * * * * * * 220 * * * * * * 1..20 * * * * * * > 6
> N/A * * * * * * N/A
> Idle Emissions: * * * * * *64 * * * * * *0.00 * * * * * * 14.80
> 0.7 * * * * * *1080
> Idle Result: * * * * * * * * PASS * * * * PASS * * * * * * N/A
> N/A * * * * N/A
> Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for a
> waiver?
>
> Thanks,
> John

mmmm.... a first guess is usually the O2 sensor. which is probably
about the same price to install as the waiver. more arcane things
people suggest include a clogged air filter, but I'd think it would
have to be damn near impenetrable to actually affect your emissions. i
could be wrong.

geez, up here you need to run up like $500 in bills before you get a
waiver; and they won't let you include parts you buy and install
yourself, it has to be work done by a genyoowine mechanic feller who
has to sign an official paper that you gave him all that money to try
and fix your emissions, besides including the itemized bill etc. i
guess they're a little worried that folks might cheat a bit if they
could just submit a bill for parts they bought and said they
installed. i'm shocked they would think that. easiest thing to do is
have the mechanic install a new catalytic converter every two years.
Old August 26th 08, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JP[_9_]

"z" > wrote in message
>On Aug 17, 2:59 am, "JP" > wrote:
>> My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test. Results
>> shown below. High CO at cruise, but passes on everything else.
>> I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on each of
>> these I
> >have just squeeked by on the CO. I remember years earlier that the CO was
> >zero at cruise, but now it's more than double the allowable.
>>
> >HC (PPM) CO (%) CO+CO2 (%) O2 (%)
> >RPM
> >2525 Limit: 160 1.20 > 6
> >N/A N/A
> >2525 Emissions: 120 2.99 16.39
> >0.0 N/A
> >2525 Result: PASS FAIL N/A N/A
> >N/A
>>
>> Idle Limit: 220 1.20 > 6
>> N/A N/A
>> Idle Emissions: 64 0.00 14.80
>> 0.7 1080
>> Idle Result: PASS PASS N/A
>> N/A N/A
>> Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for a
>> waiver?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

>mmmm.... a first guess is usually the O2 sensor. which is probably
>about the same price to install as the waiver. more arcane things
>people suggest include a clogged air filter, but I'd think it would
>have to be damn near impenetrable to actually affect your emissions. i
>could be wrong.
>
>geez, up here you need to run up like $500 in bills before you get a
>waiver; and they won't let you include parts you buy and install
>yourself, it has to be work done by a genyoowine mechanic feller who
>has to sign an official paper that you gave him all that money to try
>and fix your emissions, besides including the itemized bill etc. i
>guess they're a little worried that folks might cheat a bit if they
>could just submit a bill for parts they bought and said they
>installed. i'm shocked they would think that. easiest thing to do is
>have the mechanic install a new catalytic converter every two years.

I was unsure about the O2 sensor or catalytic converter, so I figured I'd
try the cheaper
and replaced the O2 sensor for $70. I also replaced the air cleaner, but
the old one looked
fine. Went back through emission test and CO dropped from 2.99% to 0.07%,
HC dropped from
120ppm to 50ppm. I'm good to go for two more years.

Old August 26th 08, 10:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Andy

On Aug 16, 11:59*pm, "JP" > wrote:
> My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test. *Results
> shown below. *High CO at cruise, but passes on everything else.
> I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on each of these I
> have just squeeked by on the CO. *I remember years earlier that the CO was
> zero at cruise, *but now it's more than double the allowable.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *HC (PPM) * * CO (%) * * CO+CO2 (%) * * O2 (%)
> RPM
> 2525 Limit: * * * * * *160 * * * * * *1.20 * * * * * * > 6
> N/A * * * * * * N/A
> 2525 Emissions: * * *120 * * * * * * 2.99 * * * * * * 16.39
> 0.0 * * * * * * N/A
> 2525 Result: * * * * PASS * * * * * FAIL * * * * * * N/A * * * * * * * * N/A
> N/A
>
> Idle Limit: * * * * * * * * 220 * * * * * * 1..20 * * * * * * > 6
> N/A * * * * * * N/A
> Idle Emissions: * * * * * *64 * * * * * *0.00 * * * * * * 14.80
> 0.7 * * * * * *1080
> Idle Result: * * * * * * * * PASS * * * * PASS * * * * * * N/A
> N/A * * * * N/A
> Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for a
> waiver?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Hey John,

I had a similar concern with my 1987 Honda Accord and I
subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy
and like to do things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis,
repair, TBSs, recalls and labor times. I hope you find it useful -
it's pretty cheap considering the information comes directly from the
manufacturer.

Check it out - I copied the link below for you.

http://traffic.alldatadiy.com/cgi-bi...0-o4010-c66365

Andy Deil
Old August 27th 08, 03:56 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
JP[_9_]

"Andy" > wrote in message
>On Aug 16, 11:59 pm, "JP" > wrote:
>> My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test. Results
>> shown below. High CO at cruise, but passes on everything else.
>> I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on each of
>> these I
>> have just squeeked by on the CO. I remember years earlier that the CO was
>> zero at cruise, but now it's more than double the allowable.
>>
>> HC (PPM) CO (%) CO+CO2 (%) O2 (%)
>> RPM
>> 2525 Limit: 160 1.20 > 6
>> N/A N/A
>> 2525 Emissions: 120 2.99 16.39
>> 0.0 N/A
>> 2525 Result: PASS FAIL N/A N/A
> >N/A
>>
>> Idle Limit: 220 1.20 > 6
>> N/A N/A
> >Idle Emissions: 64 0.00 14.80
> >0.7 1080
> >Idle Result: PASS PASS N/A
> >N/A N/A
> >Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for a
> >waiver?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

>Hey John,
>
>I had a similar concern with my 1987 Honda Accord and I
>subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy
>and like to do things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis,
>repair, TBSs, recalls and labor times. I hope you find it useful -
>it's pretty cheap considering the information comes directly from the
>manufacturer.
>
>Check it out - I copied the link below for you.
>
>http://traffic.alldatadiy.com/cgi-bi...0-o4010-c66365
>
>Andy Deil

Andy,

Thanks for the link. I've looked at the ALLDATA database at our local
library and did see quite a bit of information available. I also have the
honda shop manual for my car, which has pretty detailed information on
testing components.

The problem I had was just with the emission test, the car ran fine. Since
I only had to spend $150 to obtain a waiver, I just wanted to try what was
relatively cheap, might help, and would count toward the waiver.

I replaced the O2 sensor and went back to the emission station and passed
with flying colors. CO dropped from 2.99% to 0.07%.

John

Old August 27th 08, 12:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"JP" > wrote in
m:

@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com.
> ..
>>On Aug 16, 11:59 pm, "JP" > wrote:
>>> My 1986 Accord (225000 miles) failed the WA state emission test.
>>> Results shown below. High CO at cruise, but passes on everything
>>> else. I checked the last 3 tests (testing is every 2 years) and on
>>> each of these I
>>> have just squeeked by on the CO. I remember years earlier that the
>>> CO was zero at cruise, but now it's more than double the allowable.
>>>
>>> HC (PPM) CO (%) CO+CO2 (%) O2 (%)
>>> RPM
>>> 2525 Limit: 160 1.20 > 6
>>> N/A N/A
>>> 2525 Emissions: 120 2.99 16.39
>>> 0.0 N/A
>>> 2525 Result: PASS FAIL N/A N/A
>> >N/A
>>>
>>> Idle Limit: 220 1.20 > 6
>>> N/A N/A
>> >Idle Emissions: 64 0.00 14.80
>> >0.7 1080
>> >Idle Result: PASS PASS N/A
>> >N/A N/A
>> >Any ideas on what could be amuck, or should I just pay the $150 for
>> >a waiver?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John

>>Hey John,
>>
>>I had a similar concern with my 1987 Honda Accord and I
>>subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy
>>and like to do things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis,
>>repair, TBSs, recalls and labor times. I hope you find it useful -
>>it's pretty cheap considering the information comes directly from the
>>manufacturer.
>>
>>Check it out - I copied the link below for you.
>>
>>http://traffic.alldatadiy.com/
>>365
>>
>>Andy Deil

> Andy,
>
> Thanks for the link. I've looked at the ALLDATA database at our local
> library and did see quite a bit of information available. I also have
> the honda shop manual for my car, which has pretty detailed
> information on testing components.
>
> The problem I had was just with the emission test, the car ran fine.
> Since I only had to spend $150 to obtain a waiver, I just wanted to
> try what was relatively cheap, might help, and would count toward the
> waiver.
>
> I replaced the O2 sensor and went back to the emission station and
> passed with flying colors. CO dropped from 2.99% to 0.07%.
>

> John

"Andy Deil" is a spammer. He's posted a similar message in at least one
other group, with his supposed car changed to fit the thread he replied
to.

You can get most of that for free without any sort of signup, he
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Log in with
username: lib
password: access
Choose "Auto Repair Reference Center" from the menu at left, then
navigate
to your car.

--
Tegger