99 honda accord wheel studs

Old November 18th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 99 honda accord wheel studs

Hi,
I have a 99 accord 4 disk brake model. I have a damaged wheel stud.
Appears that during my last tire change on of the wal-mart mechanics
forced a lug nut on while installing the new set of tires. I just
noticed this as I had lots of trouble removing the mags to change to my
winter tires(mounted on rims.) anyhow... Is it hard to remove one of
these wheel studs? can anyone give me a few quick tips if any of you
have already done so? I just get the feeling that I will have a hard
time as I think the disks for this model are press fit on and I may
have trouble getting them off.

Anyhow ... any help is appreciated!
Thanks..

Old November 18th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a 99 accord 4 disk brake model. I have a damaged wheel stud.
> Appears that during my last tire change on of the wal-mart mechanics
> forced a lug nut

air tools. death to lug nuts, especially in the hands of the underpaid
and underskilled.

> on while installing the new set of tires. I just
> noticed this as I had lots of trouble removing the mags to change to my
> winter tires(mounted on rims.) anyhow... Is it hard to remove one of
> these wheel studs? can anyone give me a few quick tips if any of you
> have already done so? I just get the feeling that I will have a hard
> time as I think the disks for this model are press fit on and I may
> have trouble getting them off.
>
> Anyhow ... any help is appreciated!
> Thanks..

no trouble getting the disks off for this model - they bolt directly to
the outside of the hub.

you don't state if front or rear, but if rear, it's easy enough to fix.
- take off the hub and drive the stud out. [insertion of new stud is
reverse of removal!] for the front, you can try to do in place after
cutting the splash guard [do NOT hammer the hub - you'll ruin the
bearings] or you can strip the hub down to do it the official way.
[that involves bearing replacement also.]

i have the same situation courtesy of my local tire shop, but have
cleaned up the thread on the stud such that it's not binding too much
any more. that way, i leave the stud in place and it holds ok - the
threads aren't stripped. i therefore recommend you look into this
option before committing to stud replacement. also consider replacement
hub acquisition from a junk yard - once a stud has been driven out, its
replacement may or may not be as secure as the original. welding studs
in place can cause fatigue.

OEM Honda Parts catalogs for sale Joe[_4_] Honda 0 August 27th 06 01:26 PM
Just Bought a 2006 Accord EX V-6 6 SPD CPE Tom Wallace Honda 24 April 2nd 06 03:28 AM
2005 Honda Accord Coupe miller_m Honda 0 October 11th 05 09:54 AM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
Honda Accord 97 UK spec - Leather steering wheel cover Steve Bigelow Honda 3 February 12th 05 04:41 AM