92 honda intermittently not start

Old August 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
Tinob

Default 92 honda intermittently not start

I have a 92 honda civic. It has a problem of not starting. This only
happens during the summer months. it will start at night when it is not
hot outside. I don't know if the main relay will cause something like
this. If anyone out there has some guidance, i would be most greatful.
Please reply soon, as this problem is driving me crazy.

Old August 23rd 05, 11:37 PM
High Tech Misfit

Tinob wrote:

> I have a 92 honda civic. It has a problem of not starting. This only
> happens during the summer months. it will start at night when it is not
> hot outside. I don't know if the main relay will cause something like
> this. If anyone out there has some guidance, i would be most greatful.
> Please reply soon, as this problem is driving me crazy.

If it happens mainly after the car has been off for only a short while (and
yes, during the summer), then I would suspect the main relay.
Old August 23rd 05, 11:56 PM
Eric R

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:32:00 -0400, "Tinob" >
wrote:

>I have a 92 honda civic. It has a problem of not starting. This only
>happens during the summer months. it will start at night when it is not
>hot outside. I don't know if the main relay will cause something like
>this. If anyone out there has some guidance, i would be most greatful.
>Please reply soon, as this problem is driving me crazy.

do you find that if it's hot outside and windows are up that it wont
start until you lower the windows and let it air out/cool down for a
while? If so, likely the main relay...

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm
Old August 24th 05, 12:51 AM
Tinob

I appreciate the quick response. I have a couple more questions. Where
abouts would this relay be located? Again, I surely do appreciate all of
the help.

Old August 24th 05, 01:09 AM
Eric R

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:51:18 -0400, "Tinob" >
wrote:

>I appreciate the quick response. I have a couple more questions. Where
>abouts would this relay be located? Again, I surely do appreciate all of
>the help.

look here,
http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

"The 85-95 Civics is located right above the fuse box It can be felt
while leaning down from driver's seat. The color of the relay is
usually black with a brown base. The wires coming from it are usually
seven. It can be seen to the right and above the hood latch release,
and pretty very high up."

lay on your back on the drivers side floor so you can see up
underneath the dash. You should probably remove the hood latch
release. Just above that is another bolt that holds the mainrelay in
place. Unfasten the bolt. Now the main relay can move around but on
mine I had to break a little plastic fastener that held all the wires
to the dash, then I was able to manuever the relay out of the dash so
it was hanging down by the pedals suspended by the wires but it was a
very tight fit getting it out. Then you unplug the white part with
the wires and the main relay box is free. I opened the box and
reheated all the solders and have had no problems since though I only
did this a few days ago.
Old August 24th 05, 04:19 AM
TeGGeR®

"Tinob" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I appreciate the quick response. I have a couple more questions. Where
> abouts would this relay be located? Again, I surely do appreciate all of
> the help.

More info:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...html#mainrelay

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 24th 05, 05:45 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

Tinob wrote:

> I have a 92 honda civic. It has a problem of not starting. This only
> happens during the summer months. it will start at night when it is not
> hot outside. I don't know if the main relay will cause something like
> this. If anyone out there has some guidance, i would be most greatful.
> Please reply soon, as this problem is driving me crazy.

==============================

In the meantime, when it won't start, put the key in position II, smack
the dash where the relay is, and your fuel pump will 'prime' the system,
start car and GO. Vibration keeps it working until you shut it off, or
cabin temp drops.

'Curly'
Old August 24th 05, 11:00 AM
John

On the 92 civic it's right above the hood latch so you don't need to remove
the latch. Just remove the hex bolt that's holding it and then do your
thing.

Old August 25th 05, 03:04 AM
Tinob

thanks for all of the information. I guess I know what I will be doing on
the weekend. I sure appreciate it.
Tino

Old August 25th 05, 03:22 PM
B Squareman

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote

>Vibration keeps it working until you shut it off, or
> cabin temp drops.

I'll bet the current or load from the fuel pump holds the solder
connection until shutoff. Since even the terminal expansion
itself won't break the connection. Try shorting a battery
terminal. It'll more likely stick. Don't try this at home.