Tyre Advice Anyone?

Old May 4th 05, 06:13 AM
Paul Woodsford

Default Tyre Advice Anyone?

147 1.6 TS, 3door. Nov 2003 18,890 miles in the UK

Tyres Dunlop Sport 2000E, 205/55R16 91V Front & Rear from new.

Front tyres approaching legal minimum and need replacing. Any advice
regarding other Brand/Type of replacement tyre. DO NOT intend replacing rear
tyres at present as they still have plenty of tread.

Any advice much appreciated.
--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old May 4th 05, 11:31 AM
News

"Paul Woodsford" > wrote in message
> 147 1.6 TS, 3door. Nov 2003 18,890 miles in the UK
>
> Tyres Dunlop Sport 2000E, 205/55R16 91V Front & Rear from new.
>
> Front tyres approaching legal minimum and need replacing. Any advice
> regarding other Brand/Type of replacement tyre. DO NOT intend replacing

rear
> tyres at present as they still have plenty of tread.
>
> Any advice much appreciated.
> --
> Paul Woodsford
> Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Change the positon of the front and rear tyres in the manner that the frint
tyres put diagonal to the rear and vice versa.

Old May 4th 05, 01:01 PM
alfistagj

"News" > schreef in bericht

> Change the positon of the front and rear tyres in the manner that the
> frint
> tyres put diagonal to the rear and vice versa.

NEVER diagonally change tyres; that's an old and old fashioned idea.
Keep them on the same side as most tyres are directionally bound nowadays.
If you put a tyre on the "wrong" side, it will be turning backwards when you
are driving ahead and i.e. the rain water will not be drained sufficiently.
And, although it sounds crazy for a front wheel drive car, on ANY car keep
the best tyres on the rear!!
So in your case, change the rear to front and put the new tyres on the rear.
Several threads in this NG have explained this in the pat, I won't repeat
that here.

For a 1.6 the tyres are not that important. Most brands/types will do.
If you're content with the present ones, I would suggest to buy 2 new onse;
at least you'll have the same tyres front and rear which is the best for
balance.

Nevertheless:
IMHO Alfa's perform best on Michelins. Although often the most expensive
(less cheap) tyre, the mileage is the highest, so per mile/km they often are
the cheapest in the end.

Don't forget to have the rear tyres balanced when you put them in frotn and
have the alignment checked. Mostly front tyres are unevenly worn due to
(slight) mis-alignment.

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old May 4th 05, 07:37 PM
News

"alfistagj" > wrote in message
.. .

> "News" > schreef in bericht
> >

> > Change the positon of the front and rear tyres in the manner that the
> > frint
> > tyres put diagonal to the rear and vice versa.
> >

> NEVER diagonally change tyres; that's an old and old fashioned idea.
> Keep them on the same side as most tyres are directionally bound nowadays.
> If you put a tyre on the "wrong" side, it will be turning backwards when

you
> are driving ahead and i.e. the rain water will not be drained

sufficiently.
> And, although it sounds crazy for a front wheel drive car, on ANY car keep
> the best tyres on the rear!!
> So in your case, change the rear to front and put the new tyres on the

rear.
> Several threads in this NG have explained this in the pat, I won't repeat
> that here.

You dont change the tyre with the rim, only the tyre!!!!
Then you dont flip it!!!!!!!!!!!
It is not old fashioned, and it is stupid to have best tyres on the rear,
because you have to have better grip on front tyres!!

Old May 4th 05, 08:23 PM
koert54

"News" > wrote in message ...

> "alfistagj" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "News" > schreef in bericht
> > >

> > > Change the positon of the front and rear tyres in the manner that the
> > > frint
> > > tyres put diagonal to the rear and vice versa.
> > >

> > NEVER diagonally change tyres; that's an old and old fashioned idea.
> > Keep them on the same side as most tyres are directionally bound

nowadays.
> > If you put a tyre on the "wrong" side, it will be turning backwards when

> you
> > are driving ahead and i.e. the rain water will not be drained

> sufficiently.
> > And, although it sounds crazy for a front wheel drive car, on ANY car

keep
> > the best tyres on the rear!!
> > So in your case, change the rear to front and put the new tyres on the

> rear.
> > Several threads in this NG have explained this in the pat, I won't

repeat
> > that here.

> You dont change the tyre with the rim, only the tyre!!!!
> Then you dont flip it!!!!!!!!!!!
> It is not old fashioned, and it is stupid to have best tyres on the rear,
> because you have to have better grip on front tyres!!

it's not stupid to have the best tires on the rear - even for front wheel
drive.
With best tires in front, in case of an emergency break, your car starts
spinning.
Always put the best tires in rear - they teach you that in advanced driver
classes (slip course etc)

cheers,
Kurt

Old May 5th 05, 07:41 AM
News

"koert54" > wrote in message
. ..

> "News" > wrote in message

> > "alfistagj" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > >
> > > "News" > schreef in bericht

the

> > > NEVER diagonally change tyres; that's an old and old fashioned idea.
> > > Keep them on the same side as most tyres are directionally bound

> nowadays.
> > > If you put a tyre on the "wrong" side, it will be turning backwards

when
> > you
> > > are driving ahead and i.e. the rain water will not be drained

> > sufficiently.
> > > And, although it sounds crazy for a front wheel drive car, on ANY car

> keep
> > > the best tyres on the rear!!
> > > So in your case, change the rear to front and put the new tyres on the

> > rear.
> > > Several threads in this NG have explained this in the pat, I won't

> repeat
> > > that here.

> > You dont change the tyre with the rim, only the tyre!!!!
> > Then you dont flip it!!!!!!!!!!!
> > It is not old fashioned, and it is stupid to have best tyres on the

rear,
> > because you have to have better grip on front tyres!!
> >

> it's not stupid to have the best tires on the rear - even for front wheel
> drive.
> With best tires in front, in case of an emergency break, your car starts
> spinning.
> Always put the best tires in rear - they teach you that in advanced driver
> classes (slip course etc)

Yeah, great on wet surfaces.... )

Old May 4th 05, 08:46 PM
Zathras

On Wed, 4 May 2005 20:37:23 +0200, "News" > wrote:

>"alfistagj" > wrote in message
. ..

>> "News" > schreef in bericht
>> >

>> > Change the positon of the front and rear tyres in the manner that the
>> > frint
>> > tyres put diagonal to the rear and vice versa.
>> >

>> NEVER diagonally change tyres; that's an old and old fashioned idea.
>> Keep them on the same side as most tyres are directionally bound nowadays.
>> If you put a tyre on the "wrong" side, it will be turning backwards when

>you
>> are driving ahead and i.e. the rain water will not be drained

>sufficiently.
>> And, although it sounds crazy for a front wheel drive car, on ANY car keep
>> the best tyres on the rear!!
>> So in your case, change the rear to front and put the new tyres on the

>rear.
>> Several threads in this NG have explained this in the pat, I won't repeat
>> that here.

>You dont change the tyre with the rim, only the tyre!!!!
>Then you dont flip it!!!!!!!!!!!

???? If you change a wheel diagonally (change car sides) you turn the
tyre and wheel around. Go and think about it! For a directional tyre,
it's illegal to have them on the wrong side of a car in the UK IIRC.
Usually they have 'outside' marked on one side.

>It is not old fashioned, and it is stupid to have best tyres on the rear,
>because you have to have better grip on front tyres!!

Sorry..it IS old fashioned and you are wrong. Newer, more advanced
thought, considers it very bad to loose grip at the rear first. You
put your best tyres on the rear so the front looses grip first
(hopefully). This you can see and react to in a way you can't if the
rear goes first. The reasoning applies for all road vehicles. It's all
been explained here, and in other places, several times so, if you
need further clarification, do a google search.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old May 4th 05, 11:10 PM
Tony Rickard

"Zathras" wrote:

> Sorry..it IS old fashioned and you are wrong. Newer, more advanced
> thought, considers it very bad to loose grip at the rear first. You
> put your best tyres on the rear so the front looses grip first
> (hopefully). This you can see and react to in a way you can't if the
> rear goes first. The reasoning applies for all road vehicles. It's all
> been explained here, and in other places, several times so, if you
> need further clarification, do a google search.

I accept that losing the rear can be harder to control, however, the
majority of "offs" IMHO are through simply understeering off. Having said
all that there are many other factors such as weight distribution (having a
20 odd stone of people in the back, a boot full of compost etc.) that
probably have a greater influence. Add to that the nut behind the wheel
doing daft things like abruptly braking mid bend or failing to read road
conditions (the sign said 40mph therefore I must be able to go round this
bend in a monsoon at 40mph) and I am unconvinced a small difference between
front and back tyres really make the difference between spinning off and
staying in control.

However, a soft front and a hard rear maybe sufficient to change the
balance.

Old May 4th 05, 11:05 PM
alfistagj

"News" > schreef in bericht

> It is not old fashioned, and it is stupid to have best tyres on the rear,
> because you have to have better grip on front tyres!!

News,
Like I wrote, take some time reading earlier posts in this NG about where
the best tyres should be befor you start shouting about things you obviously
have no knowledge and experience on .......

Old May 4th 05, 11:40 AM
Simon

Paul Woodsford wrote:
> 147 1.6 TS, 3door. Nov 2003 18,890 miles in the UK
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

I got Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on my 156 and they have pretty good grip. Got
them off the internet from mytyres.co.uk and got them fitted at a local
wheel shop for £10 each. Ended up 40% cheaper then National or similar.

Tyre advice! Charlie Andrews Alfa Romeo 6 April 3rd 05 09:47 PM
Type 25 Battery and Tyre problems Caie VW air cooled 3 November 25th 04 01:24 AM
156 Quiet Tyre reccomendation - UK Steve P Alfa Romeo 2 October 4th 04 07:46 PM
Tyre Advice, Please. Ross Alfa Romeo 11 June 4th 04 04:17 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM