stalling

Old August 6th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

Default stalling

My 89 Audi 90 quattro has this strange problem. It starts right up and
runs strong for about 25-30 min. Then it stalls out. Start it right
back up and it will do it again. No matter how much you press the
accelerator it will make its way to stall in a few seconds. the fuel
pump does tane to make a louder buzz as it warms up. I feel that the
pump is not the problem becasue I drove a CIS Jetta for 3 years that
did the same thing. Any ideas.

Old August 7th 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

Intermittent fault in the hall effect module (distributor)?

Maybe a current load heats up the fuel pump relay causing it to fail then
recover when it cools.

Differential fuel pressure switch on the front of the fuel distributor can be
intermittent.

Vacuum leaks?

Clogged fuel filter?

Old August 7th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

I just had another idea. In the 80's the T44 series had a problem with the
inside of the fuel tank (lining) flaking off and clogging the intake screen of
the fuel pump. The problem had the same symptom as you describe. Later in the
series the tank was changed to a molded plastic with no liner which cured the
problem.

If your 90 has one of the tanks made like the T44's tanks this would be my best
guess as the source of the problem.

The factory recommended fix for the problem was to pull the fuel pump and cut
off the intake screen. The result is that the particles are pumped through to
the fuel filter. After that you should change the filter several times in the
next six months or so.

Old August 8th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Av

On 2006-08-07, Tony > wrote:
> The factory recommended fix for the problem was to pull the fuel pump
> and cut off the intake screen. The result is that the particles are
> pumped through to the fuel filter. After that you should change the
> filter several times in the next six months or so.

Ouch! This seems harsh!
I'd worry about damaging the fuel pump like this, would I be wrong?
Old August 8th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

That is the factory recommended fix and A number of people on the T44 Audi forum
have used the fix to correct the problem.

Before you take this as a solution be sure to check if your tank is one that the
lining flakes off from and see if you have crud in the bottom of the tank.

don't worry about the pump itself, the screen is in a plastic cage that
surrounds the intake. The pump itself can easily handle the crud being forced
through it.

Old September 13th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Tony > wrote:

> That is the factory recommended fix and A number of people on the T44 Audi
> forum have used the fix to correct the problem.
>
> Before you take this as a solution be sure to check if your tank is one
> that the lining flakes off from and see if you have crud in the bottom of
> the tank.
>
> don't worry about the pump itself, the screen is in a plastic cage that
> surrounds the intake. The pump itself can easily handle the crud being
> forced through it.
>
> Av wrote:
> > On 2006-08-07, Tony > wrote:
> >
> >>The factory recommended fix for the problem was to pull the fuel pump
> >>and cut off the intake screen. The result is that the particles are
> >>pumped through to the fuel filter. After that you should change the
> >>filter several times in the next six months or so.

> > Ouch! This seems harsh!
> > I'd worry about damaging the fuel pump like this, would I be wrong?

I don't know about the slightly earlier 90, but my later spec 80, and my
older mk2 GOlf (the mk1 golf used to suffer from rotten filler necks)
both have plastic tanks. I'd suspect the 90 would too.

The problem does sound similar to the hall sender issue my mk2 did
suffer from though.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.