Neon with tricky brake lights

Old October 19th 04, 01:13 PM
do_crev

Default Neon with tricky brake lights

Hi,
Here's a tough electrical problem. I have a 1996 Neon 4DR
Highline. Here are the facts, and I present them this way because when
I consider all of them I am not left with any faulty components to
replace!

1. The L and R brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is
depressed. The center high-mount brake light does come on. (Therefore
the brake switch is working)

2. The L and R running, turn signal, and hazard lights work normally.
(Therefore the bulbs and wires to them work fine, as the same filament
in the bulb is used for brake and turn)

3. All the fuses (at least in the underhood and driver's-door
compartments) visually check OK.

I have a Chilton's manual, and based on the wiring diagrams in there -
the only remaining fault path would be a White/Tan wire running from
where the center-mount brake light is spliced off to the Turn
Signal/Hazard Switch. Alternatively, I suppose it could be an internal
problem in the Turn Signal/Hazard Switch that isn't passing the
current through.

Does anyone have ideas on other possible causes of the fault? Anyone
know where the white/tan wire gets spliced off or where that Turn
Signal/Hazard Switch lives? I'd appreciate the help - this is driving
me crazy and I'm stuck riding my motorcycle until I can fix it (which
is fine until it rains).

Thanks,
Doug
Old October 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, do_crev wrote:

> 1. The L and R brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is
> depressed. The center high-mount brake light does come on. (Therefore
> the brake switch is working)
>
> 2. The L and R running, turn signal, and hazard lights work normally.
> (Therefore the bulbs and wires to them work fine, as the same filament
> in the bulb is used for brake and turn)
>
> 3. All the fuses (at least in the underhood and driver's-door
> compartments) visually check OK.

Faulty combination switch (turn signal/hazard flasher/beam selector/etc)

> I have a Chilton's manual

Throw it away. It will cost you more money in car damage than a real
factory service manual will cost to buy, even new.

Old October 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, do_crev wrote:

> 1. The L and R brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is
> depressed. The center high-mount brake light does come on. (Therefore
> the brake switch is working)
>
> 2. The L and R running, turn signal, and hazard lights work normally.
> (Therefore the bulbs and wires to them work fine, as the same filament
> in the bulb is used for brake and turn)
>
> 3. All the fuses (at least in the underhood and driver's-door
> compartments) visually check OK.

Faulty combination switch (turn signal/hazard flasher/beam selector/etc)

> I have a Chilton's manual

Throw it away. It will cost you more money in car damage than a real
factory service manual will cost to buy, even new.

FS: '00-'02 Dodge Neon Euro Tail Lights (NIB) Steve Dodge 14 January 12th 05 09:31 AM
Brake Lights [email protected] BMW 15 October 14th 04 07:17 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
No brake lights - 62 Falcon John Derickson Antique cars 4 October 19th 03 08:53 PM