3.3 1993 Grand Caravan

Old October 18th 04, 06:58 PM
ncs

Default 3.3 1993 Grand Caravan

Still trying to trouble shoot a small transmission leak from the drivers
side cv axle. The seal has been replaced twice, the carrier is fine, the
axle has been replaced twice.

Is it possible that the engine is not centered properly and the drivers side
shaft is pulling out slightly from the trans and allowing fluid to leak out
? I intend to measure the axles distances to see if there are within specs.
But was just checking to see if anyone else has ever run into this problem.

Thanks,
Nick

Old October 18th 04, 07:55 PM
jdoe

If all the above is "fine" than are you absolutley sure it's from that seal?
If you get a leak from the solenoid pack or cooler line(s) it can mimick a
leak there. Otherwise if all the things you "checked" were good it would not
leak. Also if it wasn't centered I doubt it could pull out enought to cause
this. If it is still leaking from that side seal pull the pan and see if
there is fine metal stuck to the magnet 'cause I still think it's the
carrier brgs.
Larry

Old October 18th 04, 07:55 PM
jdoe

Old October 19th 04, 01:34 AM
ncs

Larry, the trans. guy said the carrier bearings were ok, no play, etc. How
can I check them or does the trans need to be pulled ? If the bearings are
bad, are you saying there will be some slop in the axle that will allow the
seal to open up and leak ?

thanks,
Nick

Old October 19th 04, 01:34 AM
ncs

Old October 19th 04, 10:56 AM
jdoe

Yes the axle will have some slop and cause the leak. This is actually the
most common "issue" that causes leaks there. MOre so than a seal wearing
out. But like I said the leak may be elsewhere and just showing up there.
Larry

Old October 19th 04, 10:56 AM
jdoe

Old October 19th 04, 12:45 PM
ncs

Old October 19th 04, 12:45 PM
ncs

Old October 19th 04, 12:51 PM
ncs

Larry, thanks for the response. The trans. guy said there was no slop. (I
showed him your comments about maybe being the carrier bearings. and he
knows his stuff). We also checked for other leaks. But I'm going to check
again. If I don't see anything, he said to bring it back and he'd check
again also. Something is causing this leak.

thanks,
Nick