Beetle towing

Old June 22nd 05, 11:55 PM
Speedy Jim

Ryan Olkowski wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a 73 super beetle fixer upper... Its not in
> running condition right now .. Its about 300 miles away from my house I own
> a tow dolly, (2 rear wheels still on the ground) Do you guys think it would
> be ok to tow it for 300 miles in neutral with the 2 rear wheels on the
> ground or will that screw up the tranny ? Should I spring for the uhaul car
> carrier rental ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

That will work just fine. You might check the tranny oil level.

For 300 miles you'll want trailer lights and (maybe)
temp tags on the towed vehicle.

For a bit of amusement, read "The Tow Job" on my web site:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/story3.htm

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old June 23rd 05, 03:33 AM
MUADIB®

What SJ Said.........'cept I'll ad a thought or two.......

If it's a autostick disconnect the rear axels from the hubs. Just tie
'em up with a coat hanger or something similar.

This is not a bad idea even if it's not an autostick. Just more work.

If the vehicle to be towed has been sitting a while, I also recommend
pulling the rear drums and removing all brake components to tow. This
will eliminate the possibilty of problems in that 300 mile journey.

And get a good set of tires to tow on and a spare or two to carry
with.

Planty of other things could be issues, but if it will roll, these
things will keep the issues to a minimum.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 23rd 05, 03:50 AM
Kevin Holzer

Speedy Jim wrote:
> For a bit of amusement, read "The Tow Job" on my web site:
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/story3.htm

What are you doing, trying to scare him away?
-Kevin
Old June 23rd 05, 04:41 AM
Grahame Rumballe

Hi Ryan,

Would it not be better to tie/lock the steering and lift the rear wheels?

Grahame
from Aus

Old June 28th 05, 02:30 PM
Tracy

last July, I towed a 73 Ghia from Seattle Wa to Lawton Ok (about 2000 miles)
with a VW tow bar. Before the trip I put on a new set of tires, changed all
of the wheel bearings and removed the axles. Except for the 20 pounds of
bugs I picked up in the Ghia's windshield, the whole trip went great.

Tracy
73 Ghia Coupe
74 Ghia Coupe

"Ryan Olkowski" > wrote in message
>I am thinking about buying a 73 super beetle fixer upper... Its not in
> running condition right now .. Its about 300 miles away from my house I
> own
> a tow dolly, (2 rear wheels still on the ground) Do you guys think it
> would
> be ok to tow it for 300 miles in neutral with the 2 rear wheels on the
> ground or will that screw up the tranny ? Should I spring for the uhaul
> car
> carrier rental ?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else? Javier VW air cooled 8 January 15th 05 03:59 AM
FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 10:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 04:54 PM
TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 08:16 AM
VW Golf towing delema Ingo Braune VW water cooled 3 September 22nd 04 04:08 AM