Stick shift stiff

Old May 4th 05, 12:13 PM
Skippy55

Default Stick shift stiff

2000 Honda Civic - For a few days now, I've found that I have to force the
stick shift when I'm changing gears. It almost feels like it's stuck in
glue. Any suggetions? Thanks

Old May 4th 05, 05:01 PM
motsco_ _

Skippy55 wrote:
> 2000 Honda Civic - For a few days now, I've found that I have to force the
> stick shift when I'm changing gears. It almost feels like it's stuck in
> glue. Any suggetions? Thanks

--------------------------

When you had your brakes bled, did they also do a bleed job on your
clutch hydraulics? The reservoir is the smaller one under the hood, and
was supposed to be done at the same time as your brakes were. If you've
got a slow leak, or sucked it empty, you may be lucky if you can just
top it up for now. Procedure is simple, in your Owner's manual.
Otherwise, if you've pumped too much air in there, you'll have to get it
bled, and possibly repaired, since it may be leaking at the top (master)
end or lower (slave) end.

'Curly'

Old May 4th 05, 05:30 PM
John Ings

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:13:35 -0400, "Skippy55"
> wrote:

>2000 Honda Civic - For a few days now, I've found that I have to force the
>stick shift when I'm changing gears. It almost feels like it's stuck in
>glue. Any suggetions? Thanks

Stiff as in refusing to go in gear? Follow motsco's advice.

Stiff as in hard to move the gearshift even when it's out of gear and
the engine isn't running?

That could be the ball-and-socket arrangement at the bottom of the
gearshift lever needing some lube. You can get at it with difficulty
from underneath the car if the car is on a hoist, or you can get a
small spray can of white grease that has one of those skinny plastic
tubes included with the can. Slip the tube in between the shift lever
and the flex shroud and spray straight down, then waggle the lever
some. Don't get too excited with it or it will get onto the exhaust
pipe and cause a stink.

Or does the lever move freely side to side but with difficulty fore
and aft? That can be the rods leading into the gearbox needing some
lube.

White grease is also good for doorlocks, door hinges, hood releases
and hatchback latches.

Old May 4th 05, 05:46 PM
Skippy55

It's actually difficult to move in all four directions. I'll give your
suggestion a try.

Thanks

2005 Ford Explorer 4x4 Auto [email protected] Ford Explorer 3 March 31st 05 01:33 PM
Shift Kits - What are they all about? .boB Ford Mustang 1 February 14th 05 04:32 AM
Stick Shift Problems Lani General 2 December 29th 04 04:54 PM
WARNING! No Dip Stick James Technology 11 December 28th 04 04:33 AM
Stick Shift Problem Lani VW air cooled 3 November 20th 04 06:06 AM