Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Old July 12th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Jim Keenan

Default Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

"Filmophile" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm willing to bet that either Porsche is going to go to 8-cylinder
> power for the next 911, or they're going to break down and finally
> admit that the model has probably gotten as good as it's ever going to
> get - 52 years ain't a bad lifespan folks.

I think you'll see it with an 8, but I doubt they'll discontinue it.

Old July 12th 06, 05:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Filmophile

> The 914-6 was may favorite Porsche ever, frankly, being a sucker for
> mid engined card. My understanding is the 914 was a VW and sold in
> Europe as such but that the 914-6 was built by Porsche.

Porsche and VW designed the chassis and body togethor, 914/4 models got
VW engines, transmissions and suspensions - 914/6 models got a de-tuned
911 motor, gearbox and suspension. In Europe, 914/4 models were sold as
VWs while Porsche sold the 6s under their own badge. Marketing B.S.
made them sell both versions as Porsches here in the states.

> But this has nothing to do with "what's a real porsche" just the
> simple economics of the day when for $3K more you could have a 911.

The price difference between the 914/4 and the 911 may have been bigger
than that. Also, keep in mind that in 1974 you could still buy a
domestic sedan for $3,000 dollars, it wasn't a small amount of money at
the time.

> Uh huh. And if pigs had wings they could fly. 911's still dominate
> racing. Call me if that ever changes.

First of all, please read the part where I made a point of Porsche's
habit of giving the Boxster line less powerful engines than the 911
line - this is done intentionally to ensure that the 911 goes
unthreatened. If they planted a 360 Hp 911 motor into a Cayman and gave
it slight suspension tweaks it'd blow the doors off a 997 S. The Cayman
S is already as auick to 60 as the 996 was and it's about as fast as a
base 997 around the Nurburgring.

Secondly, Porsche has never developed a race prepped version of the
Boxster, nor have they ever entered it into competition, nor will they
ever because it's a convertible. However, if they built a Cayman GT3 it
would dominate in-class and would essentially end 911 sales except to
hardcore enthusiasts. Can you imagine a Cayman with the new 400 Hp GT3
motor? Giving that car a race-ready suspension and a 105 Hp boost in
power would make it a monster.

Old July 12th 06, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Jim Keenan

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Journalists' opinion is that Boxster drivers have it as a consolation
> prize as they would rather be driving a 911...
>
> ;-)
> DAS

Really? What journalists?

The Boxster's mid-engine configuration is generally considered to offer
better handling characteristics than the rear-engine of the 911 (and I have
a 2002 Carrera) since the weight distribution is more equal. While it has
been largely engineered out of the 911, the car will still exhibit trailing
throttle oversteer if you get into a corner at 11/10ths and lift. If you
know what to do at the limit the Carrera is a formidable handler, but the
natural reaction of most drivers in this case is exactly wrong.

I had a Boxster as a loaner while the Carrera got tires, and the car is a
wonderful handling car. Not as fast as my Carrera, but a very nice ride and
hardly a consolation prize. Anybody who tells you so is just kidding
themself.

Old July 12th 06, 06:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Jim Keenan

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>>Journalists' opinion is that Boxster drivers have it as a consolation
>>prize
>>as they would rather be driving a 911...

> Shades of the 914-6. Cool car, but for not much more you can get a real
> Porshe. (a 911).

Right. That's like saying the only real Mercedes has gull wing doors.

Old July 12th 06, 06:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Jim Keenan

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message
> In article <J3%rg.10587$Nv.8919@fed1read10>,
> Lawrence Lugar > wrote:
>>the mercedes is a sissy status-seeking sport's car,

> The 6's were. The 55 will out-evrything the Prosche.

The only areas MB outdoes Porsche is on the JD Power Initial Quality and
Reliability surveys, where Porsche leads or is near the top of the list on
both, while MB languishes well below the industry average - MB just racks up
so many more black marks. Hell, Ford and Chevrolet are doing better than MB.

Old July 12th 06, 08:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Filmophile

> The only areas MB outdoes Porsche is on the JD Power Initial Quality and
> Reliability surveys, where Porsche leads or is near the top of the list on
> both, while MB languishes well below the industry average - MB just racks up
> so many more black marks. Hell, Ford and Chevrolet are doing better than MB.

Which is really sad, because Mercedes cars used to be renowned for
their build quality and long term reliability. My grandfather owned a
1979 350SD and a 1990 560SEC as new cars - great machines. More
revently he's owned a 1998 500SL "Sport" and a newer E500 wagon. I
liked both, but the rock solid build isn't there anymore, nor is that
"special feeling" the older ones gave off. An uncle recently traded in
his E500 sedan and went back to Lexus, apparently his E had to many
niggles for his comfort. Hopefully they'll get back on track, but I
think the company is spread thin - they're trying (very, very slowly)
to fix all of Chrysler's problems while getting back on track with
their own products.

Another family member recently purchased a BMW 530i, and while it
drives well, it's interior feels cheap, especially the back of the
center console where the rear a/c controls are and the door panels -
it's cheap plastic that feels much like that of a firend's 2006 Honda
Accord. I'm not impressed.

Old July 12th 06, 09:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Jim Keenan

"Filmophile" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> The only areas MB outdoes Porsche is on the JD Power Initial Quality and
>> Reliability surveys, where Porsche leads or is near the top of the list
>> on
>> both, while MB languishes well below the industry average - MB just racks
>> up
>> so many more black marks. Hell, Ford and Chevrolet are doing better than
>> MB.

> Which is really sad, because Mercedes cars used to be renowned for
> their build quality and long term reliability. My grandfather owned a
> 1979 350SD and a 1990 560SEC as new cars - great machines. More
> revently he's owned a 1998 500SL "Sport" and a newer E500 wagon. I
> liked both, but the rock solid build isn't there anymore, nor is that
> "special feeling" the older ones gave off. An uncle recently traded in
> his E500 sedan and went back to Lexus, apparently his E had to many
> niggles for his comfort. Hopefully they'll get back on track, but I
> think the company is spread thin - they're trying (very, very slowly)
> to fix all of Chrysler's problems while getting back on track with
> their own products.
>
> Another family member recently purchased a BMW 530i, and while it
> drives well, it's interior feels cheap, especially the back of the
> center console where the rear a/c controls are and the door panels -
> it's cheap plastic that feels much like that of a firend's 2006 Honda
> Accord. I'm not impressed.

My dad had an '88 300 SEL - had a leaky sunroof and needed top end motor
work at 65K miles while on a trip. The day after he sold it to the mechanic
who had worked on the car most of its life, the tranny suffered a major
malfunction. I talked him out of an E wagon in favor of a Lexus RX330 about
18 months ago. I'd be very leery of buying a MB right now.

BMW makes some nice cars, but I haven't seen a 300 series where the door to
fender creases weren't off a bit. Saw the same on a brand new 750iL
today...........when we took delivery of our Carrera I went over that car
with a microscope - the fit and finish were perfect. Of course, BMW makes
about 10 times the number vehicles Porsche does annually, but you'd think
they could at least get the fenders on straight.

Old July 12th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Dori A Schmetterling

Porsche tried to stop making the 911 before but popular demand prevented it.

DAS

---

"Filmophile" > wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Old July 12th 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Dori A Schmetterling

No. The only real Mercedes is always the last model but one...

DAS

---

[...]

Old July 12th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Dori A Schmetterling

Which one was the hairdressers' car?

DAS

---