Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

Old July 11th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Dori A Schmetterling

Default Z4 M vs Boxster S vs SLK 55

No, worse. Just shifts the decision to every day. Makes for a problem
every morning... (What do I drive today...?...)

DAS

---
"greek_philosophizer" > wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Old July 11th 06, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Steve Heath

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message

> ---
> "greek_philosophizer" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> If you really are rich, just get all three and save yourself the effort
>> of deciding.

> No, worse. Just shifts the decision to every day. Makes for a problem
> every morning... (What do I drive today...?...)
>
> DAS

I need more problems like that.

--
Steve Heath

Old July 11th 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> Journalists' opinion is that Boxster drivers have it as a consolation
> prize as they would rather be driving a 911...
> ;-)

Well, yes, but journalists don't pay for their cars...

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 11th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
RichAsianKid

greek_philosophizer wrote:
> RichAsianKid wrote:
> > Which of the above is the best roadster? What do people think?
> >

> If you really are rich, just get all three and save yourself the effort
> of deciding.
>
> .

Good point!

Actually it's not as unrealistic as you think - even for non-rich guys:
afterall don't forget that in America these cars are way cheaper
(anywhere up to 50% off, half price!) compared to the UK, Australia,
Europe, East Asia.....

Old July 11th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Richard Sexton

In article >,
Dave Plowman (News) > wrote:
>In article >,
> Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>> Journalists' opinion is that Boxster drivers have it as a consolation
>> prize as they would rather be driving a 911...
>> ;-)

>Well, yes, but journalists don't pay for their cars...

True, but they've got a point. Neither the 912 nor 914-6 did
well being a few K shy of a 911. I'm surprised the boxster is
doing as well as it is.

There is one school of thought that says it (and the lessor SLKs)
are "secretaries cars". Snicker.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old July 12th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Filmophile

> Shades of the 914-6. Cool car, but for not much more you can get a real
> Porshe. (a 911).

Oh, please. Porsche has been building mid-engined cars for road and
track since the 1960s, most of them very succesful, at least as race
vehicles. The 914 was part Porsche, part Volkswagen, so many "purists"
claimed it wasn't a real Porsche (just like the 924). I can argue over
that, but I'm not going to waste the time. The point is that the
Boxster is just as much a "real" Porsche as has been any variant of the
911 - which isn't even a "real" 911 anymore if you ask the assholes who
think that the model must have an air-cooled engine to qualify.

I'll also point out that the four cylinder 914 vastly outsold the 911
during it's lifetime (as had the 912 before it) and that as much as I
love the 911, the Boxster would throw the 911 to the wind on track if
Porsche would stop dicking around with the engine lineup and start
putting the full blown 911 engine into the Boxster.

I'm willing to bet that either Porsche is going to go to 8-cylinder
power for the next 911, or they're going to break down and finally
admit that the model has probably gotten as good as it's ever going to
get - 52 years ain't a bad lifespan folks.

Old July 12th 06, 02:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
Richard Sexton

In article .com>,
Filmophile > wrote:
>> Shades of the 914-6. Cool car, but for not much more you can get a real
>> Porshe. (a 911).

>Oh, please. Porsche has been building mid-engined cars for road and
>track since the 1960s, most of them very succesful, at least as race
>vehicles. The 914 was part Porsche, part Volkswagen, so many "purists"
>claimed it wasn't a real Porsche (just like the 924). I can argue over
>that, but I'm not going to waste the time. The point is that the
>Boxster is just as much a "real" Porsche as has been any variant of the
>911 - which isn't even a "real" 911 anymore if you ask the assholes who
>think that the model must have an air-cooled engine to qualify.

The 914-6 was may favorite Porsche ever, frankly, being a sucker for
mid engined card. My understanding is the 914 was a VW and sold in
Europe as such but that the 914-6 was built by Porsche.

But this has nothing to do with "what's a real porsche" just the
simple economics of the day when for $3K more you could have a 911.

>I'll also point out that the four cylinder 914 vastly outsold the 911
>during it's lifetime (as had the 912 before it) and that as much as I
>love the 911, the Boxster would throw the 911 to the wind on track if
>Porsche would stop dicking around with the engine lineup and start
>putting the full blown 911 engine into the Boxster.

Uh huh. And if pigs had wings they could fly. 911's still dominate
racing. Call me if that ever changes.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old July 12th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
dizzy

Filmophile wrote:

>This month's issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of the M Coupe'
>and the Cayman S, the Cayman was quicker in all but one accleration
>test and was 2 seconds quicker around the test track. C&D gave it the
>win because of it's superior performance and dynamics.

I'd love to get a Cayman. Too bad it's out of my league,
money-wise... 8(

Old July 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
dizzy

Richard Sexton wrote:

>In article <J3%rg.10587$Nv.8919@fed1read10>,
>Lawrence Lugar > wrote:
>>the mercedes is a sissy status-seeking sport's car,

>The 6's were. The 55 will out-evrything the Prosche.

Oh? How's the manual gearbox?

Old July 12th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.porsche,alt.auto.mercedes
RichAsianKid

Filmophile wrote:
> A. There won't be an SLK63 for two reasons:
> 1. The SLK can't take that engine (it's to heavy anyhow)
> 2. MB is trying to give people a reason to spend more cash on the
> CLK model
>
> B. The only time the SLK55 has ever taken favor over the Boxster was in
> that sill Top Gear comparison. Overall, the Boxster is considered the
> shining star in it's class and the the new engine lineup and suspension
> tweks that are coming for '07 are only going to help. I'll refer all to
> the following for final words:
> > http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-cayman-s.html

Ouch! That's last paragraph's harsh!

> Keep in mind the 2007 Boxster S is effectively a Cayman S minus the
> hard roofline.

Off topic, but some (ahem, obviously biased) stats from 2003:
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...getagrip2.html