1994 318i convertible question.

Old July 22nd 06, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim Tiberio

Default 1994 318i convertible question.

I recently picked up a 94 convertible and while the top functions properly
and looks as good as new the headliner is falling out. I've found a couple
of plastic pieces stitched in and was able to re-attach them to the roof
frame and it helped but it's still sagging all over. The dealer referred me
to a shop that could repair it. That shop told me the whole top would have
to be replaced if I wanted it done right. At that point I snickered and
thanked him for his time. After the fact it dawned on me that I know
nothing about these tops. Could there be some truth to it?

Old July 24th 06, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rex B[_1_]

Jim Tiberio wrote:
> I recently picked up a 94 convertible and while the top functions properly
> and looks as good as new the headliner is falling out. I've found a couple
> of plastic pieces stitched in and was able to re-attach them to the roof
> frame and it helped but it's still sagging all over. The dealer referred me
> to a shop that could repair it. That shop told me the whole top would have
> to be replaced if I wanted it done right. At that point I snickered and
> thanked him for his time. After the fact it dawned on me that I know
> nothing about these tops. Could there be some truth to it?

A lot of convertible tops have no liner. My Z3 top has none. I'd
consider just ripping it out.
Old July 25th 06, 05:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim Tiberio

"Rex B" > wrote in message

> Jim Tiberio wrote:
>> I recently picked up a 94 convertible and while the top functions
>> properly and looks as good as new the headliner is falling out. I've
>> found a couple of plastic pieces stitched in and was able to re-attach
>> them to the roof frame and it helped but it's still sagging all over.
>> The dealer referred me to a shop that could repair it. That shop told me
>> the whole top would have to be replaced if I wanted it done right. At
>> that point I snickered and thanked him for his time. After the fact it
>> dawned on me that I know nothing about these tops. Could there be some
>> truth to it?

> A lot of convertible tops have no liner. My Z3 top has none. I'd consider
> just ripping it out.

Good point, thanks.

1994 318i door handle woes Pelias BMW 1 July 3rd 06 09:46 AM
FS: 1994 Snap-On "A Day At The Races" Promo Sheet J.R.Sinclair General 0 April 1st 05 12:14 PM
318i se question Toby BMW 2 December 3rd 04 03:57 PM
1994 Cabrio top motor question Jimz466 Audi 0 October 14th 04 03:17 PM
1999 323i Convertible - Winter Tire Question C.R. Krieger BMW 2 September 28th 04 06:55 PM