Transmission fluid flush and fill?

Old June 30th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Transmission fluid flush and fill?

How hard is it to flush and fill my transmission fluid? (2003 CR-V). The
manual says: "Always use Honda ATF-Z1. If it is not available, you may use
a Dexron III automatic fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued
use can affect shift quality...To thoroughly flush the transmission the
technician should drain and refill it with Honda ATF-Z1, then drive a short
distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a
final time. WOW! DO ALL DEALERS DO THIS?

Nino
It shouldent be hard at all on a CRV you can probably crawl underneath and loosen the drain plug yourself but i wouldent use Dexron III fluid not even on a temporary basis. as far as flushing and filling goes that would be the "safest way" aside from

using a machine to power flush your automatic transmission. when you flush &
fill drive it around for about 3-4 days let the Honda fluid mix in with the old fluid
and circulate well enough to wash the tranny then drain and fill and repeat the
process over.

--
johnin

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-429144.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old June 30th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

You're right Johnin! I just finished! It was very easy. Now, I will drive
around for a week and repeat. But wow! The fluid is almost ten bucks a
liter. I guess Honda can charge whatever they like. Anyway, thanks for the
advice!

Nino

Old July 1st 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Earle Horton wrote:
> A number of manufacturers use this trick. They make "special" clutch and
> band material, that only works properly with their "special" fluid, that you
> have to buy from them. I seriously doubt, that any proper combination of
> friction material and fluid, is better or worse than any other.

if you don't believe, try it for yourself. i have so i speak with some
confidence - only use honda fluid in your transmission.

and there are no bands in a normal honda automatic transmission.

Old July 1st 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

Old July 1st 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

.. . . how do you like the position of that transmission
> dipstick/filler? The one on my wife's CR-V is right below the battery,
> with
> a bunch of stuff in the way, so no normally-jointed person can get to it,
> without scraping a big chunk out of the back of his hand the first time.

I was just cursing Honda. . .every I have to check the transmission dipstick
it's a pain in the A..! However, the drain plug is in a very convenient
place. I didn't even have to jack up the vehicle! So, I have to praise
Honda for that. I was just surprised to see the fluid an orangey color
after only 30,000 miles.

Nino

Old July 1st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton wrote:
> > A number of manufacturers use this trick. They make "special" clutch
> > and band material, that only works properly with their "special" fluid,
> > that you have to buy from them. I seriously doubt, that any proper
> > combination of friction material and fluid, is better or worse than any
> >other.

> if you don't believe, try it for yourself. i have so i speak with some
> confidence - only use honda fluid in your transmission.
>
> and there are no bands in a normal honda automatic transmission.

That's not what I doubt. I doubt that Chrysler friction material, for
example, performs any better with Chrysler ATF, than Honda friction material
performs with Honda fluid. In other words, there is no reason for the
differences between fluid and friction material among manufacturers, other
than to increase profits. Of course you wouldn't mix them, unless as the
manual says you were stuck somewhere.

Ford was the first to use this trick, with their "Type F" transmission
fluid. As anyone knows, who has taken an automatic transmission apart, the
clutches inside are basically nothing but paper. In the case of non-GM
transmissions, they are no doubt impregnated with anti-Dexron chemicals too.
;^)

Earle

Old July 1st 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Earle Horton wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>
>>Earle Horton wrote:
>>
>>>A number of manufacturers use this trick. They make "special" clutch
>>>and band material, that only works properly with their "special" fluid,
>>>that you have to buy from them. I seriously doubt, that any proper
>>>combination of friction material and fluid, is better or worse than any

>> >other.

>>if you don't believe, try it for yourself. i have so i speak with some
>>confidence - only use honda fluid in your transmission.
>>
>>and there are no bands in a normal honda automatic transmission.
>>

> That's not what I doubt. I doubt that Chrysler friction material, for
> example, performs any better with Chrysler ATF, than Honda friction material
> performs with Honda fluid. In other words, there is no reason for the
> differences between fluid and friction material among manufacturers, other
> than to increase profits. Of course you wouldn't mix them, unless as the
> manual says you were stuck somewhere.

that final sentence contradicts the logic of the rest of the paragraph.
i'm not a tribologist, but from what i understand, the friction
coupling characteristics of these fluids and linings can be dramatically
different.

> Ford was the first to use this trick, with their "Type F" transmission
> fluid. As anyone knows, who has taken an automatic transmission apart, the
> clutches inside are basically nothing but paper. In the case of non-GM
> transmissions, they are no doubt impregnated with anti-Dexron chemicals too.

come on dude, that's /way/ too expensive to implement. and no, they're
not all "paper". all detroit manufacturer's seek is a compromise
between sufficient service life from cheapo mechanicals and a lube that
/just/ gets them there. atf formulation varies accordingly.

Old July 1st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

glenf wrote:
> Anyone found any place that sells Honda A/T fluid at a lower price than my
> local Honda store?

manchesterhonda.com

Transmission fluid flush and fill? Nino NoSpam Honda 12 July 1st 06 02:51 AM
ATF Jason Backshall Jeep 12 April 6th 06 01:57 PM
Preventive maintenance for A604 transmission [email protected] Chrysler 21 April 4th 06 05:38 PM
Power steering 89yj 4.2 Scott Smith Jeep 10 February 1st 06 02:29 PM
Valvoline Transmission Fluid ATF+3 Chrysler Approved? Rick Yerke Chrysler 46 September 13th 05 06:19 PM