Need help replacing my 02 Accord EX speakers....

Old November 10th 05, 03:53 PM

Default Need help replacing my 02 Accord EX speakers....

Anybody have any diagrams or recommendations on new speakers...

The front right and the dashboard left are the only ones blown.

Not looking to spend that much but would like some good sound....total
under $150

I have all stock right now (including the radio)...going on a road trip
and dont want to listen to blown speakers the whole way. Have tonight
only to replace them so the easiest installation would be great!

Old November 15th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

> Anybody have any diagrams or recommendations on new speakers...
>
> The front right and the dashboard left are the only ones blown.
>
> Not looking to spend that much but would like some good sound....total
> under $150
>
> I have all stock right now (including the radio)...going on a road trip
> and dont want to listen to blown speakers the whole way. Have tonight
> only to replace them so the easiest installation would be great!

If it is like my 2000 SE with the 6 speaker stereo, I would clip the
leads to the dashboard tweeters and find some good quality speakers for
the doors. The factory speakers in the doors are pretty cheesy looking
full-range speakers. If you had a couple of days, I would suggest going
to Crutchfield and using their database to select proper replacement
speakers for the front doors. I am quite happy with some Polk 2-ways
they recommended, they were less than $100 and their instructions were
excellent. You could always go to Crutchfield's website, see what fits,
then truck off to Best Buy or Circuit City for replacements that fit
your budget and car.

The good thing is that there are decent speakers that will fit the
factory grilles with minimal fuss. The factory radio is rated at 20
watts RMS x 4 and is made by Alpine, and performs well and has good
ergonomics compared with most of the flashy aftermarket radios out
there. For $200 I added a USA Spec CD player which fits the factory
opening, but the EX already has one. In addition to the Polks up front,
I put some Infinity Reference 6x9 2-ways in the back, and finished it
off with a Jensen 300 watt amp to drive a 10 inch Infinity Subwoofer in
a Qlogic box in the trunk. For about $700 it sounds awesome, and is
totally stealth.
Old November 15th 05, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY& wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> Anybody have any diagrams or recommendations on new speakers...
>>
>> The front right and the dashboard left are the only ones blown.
>>
>> Not looking to spend that much but would like some good sound....total
>> under $150
>>
>> I have all stock right now (including the radio)...going on a road trip
>> and dont want to listen to blown speakers the whole way. Have tonight
>> only to replace them so the easiest installation would be great!
>>

> If it is like my 2000 SE with the 6 speaker stereo, I would clip the
> leads to the dashboard tweeters and find some good quality speakers for
> the doors. The factory speakers in the doors are pretty cheesy looking
> full-range speakers. If you had a couple of days, I would suggest going
> to Crutchfield and using their database to select proper replacement
> speakers for the front doors. I am quite happy with some Polk 2-ways
> they recommended, they were less than $100 and their instructions were
> excellent. You could always go to Crutchfield's website, see what fits,
> then truck off to Best Buy or Circuit City for replacements that fit
> your budget and car.
>
> The good thing is that there are decent speakers that will fit the
> factory grilles with minimal fuss. The factory radio is rated at 20
> watts RMS x 4 and is made by Alpine, and performs well and has good
> ergonomics compared with most of the flashy aftermarket radios out
> there. For $200 I added a USA Spec CD player which fits the factory
> opening, but the EX already has one. In addition to the Polks up front,
> I put some Infinity Reference 6x9 2-ways in the back, and finished it
> off with a Jensen 300 watt amp to drive a 10 inch Infinity Subwoofer in
> a Qlogic box in the trunk. For about $700 it sounds awesome, and is
> totally stealth.

As for front speakers, the main constraints are depth, I think you are
limited to something like 1 11/16 inch in depth, but you can buy a
little more by cutting away at part of the plastic shroud that is behind
the speaker.