Oil light on with warm engine during idle

Old June 27th 05, 10:08 PM
Ramon de Klein

Default Oil light on with warm engine during idle

I have a 1951 bug with a 25bhp engine. During warm weather and after
driving for a while the oil pressure light goes on when the engine is
idle (i.e. before traffic lights). When I rev up the engine a little
bit then the light goes out again. It only happens during warm weather
and when I drive for at least 20 minutes, so I think it is some kind of
temperature thing. The engine runs fine, without strange noises or
noticeable loss of torque.

The engine has fresh new 20W60 classic oil and after driven approx. 150
miles the oil level is good and the oil also looks good. I guess that
20W60 should be good enough for my aircooled boxer.

I installed a Gene Berg dipstick to keep track of my oil temperature.
If the oil warning light goes on, the temperature is way below the
point that the dipstick should make contact. I conclude that the oil
temperature is below 230F.

Anyone knows what is happening?

Old June 27th 05, 10:18 PM
Jan Andersson

Ramon de Klein wrote:

> I have a 1951 bug with a 25bhp engine. During warm weather and after
> driving for a while the oil pressure light goes on when the engine is
> idle (i.e. before traffic lights). When I rev up the engine a little
> bit then the light goes out again. It only happens during warm weather
> and when I drive for at least 20 minutes, so I think it is some kind of
> temperature thing. The engine runs fine, without strange noises or
> noticeable loss of torque.
>
> The engine has fresh new 20W60 classic oil and after driven approx. 150
> miles the oil level is good and the oil also looks good. I guess that
> 20W60 should be good enough for my aircooled boxer.
>
> I installed a Gene Berg dipstick to keep track of my oil temperature.
> If the oil warning light goes on, the temperature is way below the
> point that the dipstick should make contact. I conclude that the oil
> temperature is below 230F.
>
> Anyone knows what is happening?

Worn bearings --> pressure loss

Poorly adjusted --> overheating --> pressure loss

Restricted cooling --> overheating --> pressure loss

Missing engine tin or engine compartment tin seal --> overheating -->
pressure loss

Jan
Old June 27th 05, 11:12 PM
johnboy

"Ramon de Klein" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 1951 bug with a 25bhp engine. During warm weather and after
> driving for a while the oil pressure light goes on when the engine is
> idle (i.e. before traffic lights).

I suspect that with the multi-weight oil you are using in a stock '51 you
are okay.