Miata vs. 18 wheeler

Old June 26th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Default Miata vs. 18 wheeler

JPh wrote:

> Good to hear that you recovered from this
> In Europe most trucks are fitted with "underrun guards"
> front rear & side & have been for some time. I'm not
> sure if it's a legal requirement.
> Don't most trucks have these in US also?

In the U.S. these are called "Mansfield bars," named after the actress
Jayne Mansfield, who was killed when she rear-ended a semi trailer at
2:30 AM on a foggy night in Louisiana. Following her death, the U.S.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mandated the installation
of underride guards on the back of all semi trailers.

yrs wdk
Old June 26th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

dosen't just happen to miata's...
http://www.pbase.com/maxgts/image/61936148

Old June 26th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

that is an amazing story (as well as very well written). so glad to hear
that the miata driver came out of it alive.

Old June 27th 09, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

Chuck :
> Moral? When you are in a four wheeled car, semis have absolute right of
> way.

One should drive as if that is true!

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old June 27th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chuck" > wrote:

> Moral? When you are in a four wheeled car, semis have absolute
> right of way.

We have a rule in Arizona, in the summertime any car with the windows
down has the right of way.

Why?

Because his air conditioner is broken and he's so hot and in such a bad
mood he's as soon hit you as not!

Old June 28th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carol[_3_]

Tell your wife that I survived this one -
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=45&id=34454 -

The passenger compartment was not compromised - until the fire rescue folks
started cutting me out of it. I still get "You LIVED through that?" from
people. Never take for granted the mighty Miata!

BTW - I went and bought my next Miata before I was even out of physical
therapy. Tell your wife Miatas love their owners... :-) -Carol

"xyzzy" > wrote in message
On Jun 24, 10:23 pm, "George Jetson" >
wrote:
> http://gallery.me.com/textbound#100114
>
> Jim

Don't let my wife see that or she'll demand that I sell the Miata.

Old June 28th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

Carol wrote:

> Tell your wife that I survived this one -
> http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=45&id=34454

Geez wow, how did that happen?

DARN YOU, MICHAEL BAY! STOP THAT!

yrs wdk
Old June 28th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

johnny p. wrote:
> JPh wrote:
>> Good to hear that you recovered from this
>> In Europe most trucks are fitted with "underrun guards"
>> front rear & side & have been for some time. I'm not
>> sure if it's a legal requirement.
>> Don't most trucks have these in US also?

> In the U.S. these are called "Mansfield bars," named after the actress
> Jayne Mansfield, who was killed when she rear-ended a semi trailer at
> 2:30 AM on a foggy night in Louisiana. Following her death, the U.S.
> National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mandated the installation
> of underride guards on the back of all semi trailers.
>
> yrs wdk

Legislation on the UK side of the pond also mandates bars on the sides
of trailers, not just at the rear however.
http://www.lorrydrivertraining.co.uk...Westpoint1.jpg

Which may have prevented at least some of the incident described in the
link posted by the OP, as it would have been much more difficult for the
car to get underneath the trailer.

All Trucks here are also physically speed limited to a 56mph maximum.

--
Douglas
Old June 28th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Douglas Payne > wrote:

> Legislation on the UK side of the pond also mandates bars on the sides
> of trailers, not just at the rear however.
> http://www.lorrydrivertraining.co.uk...Westpoint1.jpg
>
> Which may have prevented at least some of the incident described in the
> link posted by the OP, as it would have been much more difficult for the
> car to get underneath the trailer.

In that case, it would have been mashed against the guardrail instead.
The cops seem to have thought that slipping under the trailer is what
saved the driver's life.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old June 29th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> Douglas Payne > wrote:
>
>> Legislation on the UK side of the pond also mandates bars on the sides
>> of trailers, not just at the rear however.
>> http://www.lorrydrivertraining.co.uk...Westpoint1.jpg
>>
>> Which may have prevented at least some of the incident described in the
>> link posted by the OP, as it would have been much more difficult for the
>> car to get underneath the trailer.

> In that case, it would have been mashed against the guardrail instead.
> The cops seem to have thought that slipping under the trailer is what
> saved the driver's life.

Indeedy, I think luck played a bigger part than any single safety measure.

Glad the driver made it.

--
Douglas