Jeep Tech: Tips for taking apart a front end.

Old March 8th 05, 01:05 AM
DMaster

Default Jeep Tech: Tips for taking apart a front end.

Hey ppl!

I have an 53' M38A1 Jeep. It isn't so military anymore though. It is
painted blue now. The engine has been replaced with a 225 Buick V6 odd
fire engine. The jeep has a spring-over and 35in tires as well.

Now that we know about the vehicle, here comes the stumper. I am
looking into what is involved in disassembling the front hubs and
axles. I took the brake drums off to do a restration on them only to
find that there was water in the left hub. Now I am thinkining it would
be prudent to tear the front end apart further to make sure I don't
have any water where it shouldn't be!

>From what I have gathered, it appears to be the origional front end. It

is a rockwell design with locking front hubs.

Any insight on what is involved to take front end apart would help!

I have a part explosion photocopied from an old universal jeep manual.
My hope is that the rebuild will involve nothing more than new
hand-made gaskets and some new grease after everything is cleaned off.
I am not sure if new bearings are involved, or if they are available on
today's market. If you have any information to help with this project,
post away!

-DMaster

Old March 8th 05, 03:00 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

With your exploded view, it's pretty straight forward. I would buy
the knuckle seal along the wheel seals, via Border Parts in San Diego,
the only place I can think of that still carries the parts. I put their
phone number and address on a map to their place, link:
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/su...4BA3AE58&C B=
Everyone converts to regular chassis grease for the constant velocity
joints as the ninety weight just leaks out.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/