Update on 05 Elantra Brake problem.

Old August 14th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.hyundai,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.driving
StoneMeThenBurnMe

Default Update on 05 Elantra Brake problem.

On Jul 20, 8:11 am, jtees4 > wrote:
> I said I'd come back with an update, so here goes.
> I brought the 05 in again yesterday. They did extensive testing and
> decided it needs a master cylinder (which is what I thought all
> along). Unfortunately it was late in the day and they could not fix it
> yesterday as they did not have the part there. I am bringing it in
> Monday to replace the master cylinder. They "may" be able to give me a
> loaner car for the day. Funny thing is, they own a Chevy delaership
> also. They have two loaner cars from the Chevy dealership. Both cars
> are Fords! I found that kind of funny. The service manager has been
> very good about the whiole thing. I believe it was a case of a bad or
> just lazy employee originally.
> ALSO, I bought a new 07 Elantra SE on Wednesday. I have not had time
> to put it through it's paces, I think I still like the 03 the best of
> the bunch. I looked at other cars, but when it came down to it, the
> Hyundai was still the best value out there all things considered.
> Thanks all...I'll let you know the final outcome next week!

---------------- ELANTRAS -- Problem Cars? --------------

I've come to believe so.

I HAVE A 2004 ELANTRA GLS, AND THE BATTERY IS almost impossible to
replace and service!

Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:

1) Check the fluid level in the cells.

2) Check the body and terminals for corrosion.

3) Remove the old battery and install a new one.

These tasks are almost impossible for the average motorist BECAUSE THE
BATTERY SITS IN AN ENCLOSED, SEALED CASE! You can't see much less
inspect the cell fluid levels. And half of the bolts under the hood
on the driver's side have to be removed to free-up the battery.

See, Hyundai wants you to go to a HYUNDAI DEALER, where a battery
costs $90, plus up to $50 more to install it. And at most Hyundai
dealers I know, you have to leave your car for an entire day -- then
hope it's ready when you return in the late afternoon or early
evening.

"Aw, we're sorry, but you see we got real busy and couldn't get to
yours. But tomorrow!"

AdvanceAuto Parts, AutoZone, Olympic Auto Parts, and Batteries Plus
sell the same battery for $52 to $69, some including free
installation.

Only problem? They can't get a sufficient supply of them to keep 'em
in stock!

And that's what your conniving, inscrutable Hyundai folks want -- to
force you to spend more on a new battery than a normal car owner would
expect. Parts companies list the Elantra batteries as "special." And
that they are!

Additionally, the OWNER'S MANUAL has neither a diagram or instructions
for accessing and servicing your Hyundai Elantra battery. Just a one-
paragraph entry that says, in effect, Be careful when servicing the
battery."

I've had my 2004 Elantra GLS for 3 years and the battery is already
shot. Needless to say, with problems also with the air bags, brakes,
power locks, and engine noise and vibration, I've bought my last
Hyundai product!

My advice to Hyundai? Hold up on building those factories in the
U.S. Too many one-time customers could make for sluggish, then
anemic, sales.