Making the handbrake stronger, 2002 Tahoe

Old July 26th 07, 09:33 AM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Thorben Grosser

Default Making the handbrake stronger, 2002 Tahoe

Hey Newsgroups,

I recently bought a used 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. When standing in a
hill, the handbrake is not strong enough to keep the car stopped. I
looked through the Internet for any plans on the handbrake but
couldn't find any.
Further, it seems as if there is a mechanism to block the brake at a
certain point, so it cant be pulled to strong.
Has anybody got plans or ideas how to correct the handbrake in order
to make it stronger?

thanks in advance
Thorben Grosser

Old July 26th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Mike Romain

Thorben Grosser wrote:
> Hey Newsgroups,
>
> I recently bought a used 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. When standing in a
> hill, the handbrake is not strong enough to keep the car stopped. I
> looked through the Internet for any plans on the handbrake but
> couldn't find any.
> Further, it seems as if there is a mechanism to block the brake at a
> certain point, so it cant be pulled to strong.
> Has anybody got plans or ideas how to correct the handbrake in order
> to make it stronger?
>
> thanks in advance
> Thorben Grosser

It is broken or out of adjustment then.

The emergency brake or 'hand or foot brake' is supposed to be strong
enough to use in an emergency to stop the vehicle, let alone hold it on
a hill. It should even stall the engine when in the forward direction.

None hold well in the reverse direction.

I lost my brakes in a Chevy pickup at the top of a 10 mile hill once,
the pedal hit the floor. My emergency brake and transmission worked to
get me to the garage at the bottom of the hill no problem.

I recently had a brake line blow out on my Jeep during an emergency stop
and again my emergency brake worked well to stop me and get me the 2
blocks via back roads home.

It has adjustments in the wheel itself and cable adjustments. If it
tops or bottoms out, the wheel adjustment needs to be done first, then
the cable should be set for the handle to grab someplace around 4 or 5
clicks up.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old July 26th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Mike Marlow[_1_]

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> The emergency brake or 'hand or foot brake' is supposed to be strong
> enough to use in an emergency to stop the vehicle, let alone hold it on a
> hill. It should even stall the engine when in the forward direction.

Not with an automatic transmission.

--

-Mike-

Old July 26th 07, 04:03 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Mike Romain

Mike Marlow wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>
>> The emergency brake or 'hand or foot brake' is supposed to be strong
>> enough to use in an emergency to stop the vehicle, let alone hold it on a
>> hill. It should even stall the engine when in the forward direction.

> Not with an automatic transmission.

'My' Chevy pickup was an automatic and the emergency brake 'sure' was
strong enough to stop the vehicle!!!!

It also 'sure' was strong enough to hold it on a hill!

It was also 'sure' strong enough to bog out my carb 350 engine so I knew
it was on, never tried to overpower it though....

Old July 26th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Steve Barker

one exception, the vehicles with rear disk brakes, the parking brake works
equally well forward or reverse.

--
Steve Barker

Old July 26th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Steve Barker

"Stopping the vehicle" is far different from "stalling the engine".

--
Steve Barker

Old July 26th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Mike Marlow[_1_]

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> 'My' Chevy pickup was an automatic and the emergency brake 'sure' was
> strong enough to stop the vehicle!!!!

Never suggested it wouldn't.

> It also 'sure' was strong enough to hold it on a hill!

It should be.

> It was also 'sure' strong enough to bog out my carb 350 engine so I knew
> it was on, never tried to overpower it though....

That's a lot different than saying it will stall the engine.

--

-Mike-

Old July 26th 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
SnoMan

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:50:23 -0500, "Steve Barker"
> wrote:

>"Stopping the vehicle" is far different from "stalling the engine".

yes it is and if it has a lift and oversized tires it will provided
increased leverage against the brakes and make it harder to hold too.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old July 26th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
Mike Romain

Mike Marlow wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>
>> 'My' Chevy pickup was an automatic and the emergency brake 'sure' was
>> strong enough to stop the vehicle!!!!

> Never suggested it wouldn't.
>
>> It also 'sure' was strong enough to hold it on a hill!

> It should be.
>
>> It was also 'sure' strong enough to bog out my carb 350 engine so I knew
>> it was on, never tried to overpower it though....
>>

> That's a lot different than saying it will stall the engine.

True, but it will stall the engine on my standard shift Jeep.

Old July 26th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.trucks.chevy,rec.autos.4x4,alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks,alt.autos.gm
hls

"Steve Barker" > wrote in message
> one exception, the vehicles with rear disk brakes, the parking brake works
> equally well forward or reverse.

If they hold at all. Early GM four wheel disc designs sucked, and often
wouldnt
hold well, unless they were functioning up to their maximum potential...That
means
that the adjusters on the rear wheel had to be working properly.

A handbrake should hold a car under reasonable circumstances. If the OPs is
not,
then something is wrong (other than that you bought a GM.)