is it ok to interchange synthetic oils (mobil-1, penzoil platinum)

Old September 1st 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default is it ok to interchange synthetic oils (mobil-1, penzoil platinum)

I know its bad practice to mix synthetic with conventional oil.
However, is it ok to interchange different brands of synthetic? For
example, one oil change I may want to use Mobil-1, the next Penzoil
platinum. Especially when I am on the road often and may be able to
find only one, not another at any one instance.

Old September 1st 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On Sep 1, 3:32 pm, wrote:
> I know its bad practice to mix synthetic with conventional oil.

Who told you this and where is the proof? Ever hear of a synthetic
blend?
The public has been duped into thinking that synthetic oil is the
magic elixer and that conventional oil is worthless. In reality,
synthetic oil MAY be better than conventional oil, but the in last 10
years conventional oil has made significant improvements. BTW, the
"synthetic" term may be misleading. Conventional oil can be called
synthetic if the refiner plays with the molecules a little bit. There
are big differences in the way synthetic oil is manufactured.
I wouldn't worry about using different brands of oil from one oil
change to the next and I've got a 300K+ miled car to prove it.

Old September 2nd 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
socal.penguin

On Sep 1, 12:32 pm, wrote:
> I know its bad practice to mix synthetic with conventional oil.
> However, is it ok to interchange different brands of synthetic? For
> example, one oil change I may want to use Mobil-1, the next Penzoil
> platinum. Especially when I am on the road often and may be able to
> find only one, not another at any one instance.

yeah, totally safe. try to remember your orig. viscosity and roughly
match that. even if you can't, it's still better than running low oil
levels.

Old September 6th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
*

Kruse > wrote in article
.com>...
> On Sep 1, 3:32 pm, wrote:
> > I know its bad practice to mix synthetic with conventional oil.

> Who told you this and where is the proof? Ever hear of a synthetic
> blend?
> The public has been duped into thinking that synthetic oil is the
> magic elixer and that conventional oil is worthless. In reality,
> synthetic oil MAY be better than conventional oil, but the in last 10
> years conventional oil has made significant improvements. BTW, the
> "synthetic" term may be misleading. Conventional oil can be called
> synthetic if the refiner plays with the molecules a little bit. There
> are big differences in the way synthetic oil is manufactured.
> I wouldn't worry about using different brands of oil from one oil
> change to the next and I've got a 300K+ miled car to prove it.

Since there is a lot of belief (urban myths, old wives' tales, etc.) out
there concerning the non-mixing capabilities of different oils, I believe
now is the perfect time for some enterprising scammer to come up with a new
snake oil additive that "facilitates" the mixing of synthetics and
conventional oils.

I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

What shall we call it?

"Synth-a-sizer"?

"Truemix"?

"Oil-adjuster"?

"Moleculer Moly"?

synthetic oils in 2000 wrangler bobdrob Jeep 1 March 12th 06 01:42 AM
Mobil One Synthetic alternative? [email protected] Corvette 26 June 19th 05 03:11 AM
synthetic oils d745 4x4 30 May 2nd 05 03:14 AM
Mobil One Synthetic Transmission Oil togaboy Honda 18 November 21st 04 02:55 PM
Switching between Engine Oils Synthetic and Regular? Tavish Muldoon VW water cooled 9 September 29th 04 04:41 AM