Is this awful of me? Trying to decide on a paint scheme...

Old May 8th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Is this awful of me? Trying to decide on a paint scheme...

For those of you who don't remember me from my (at best) sporadic
posting, I have a '62 Beetle Convertible which I am doing a pan off
restoration to. I bought her in early 2000, and she and her many parts
have followed me to a new home after a divorce. I've been replacing
the parts I lost, and I want to finally get some part of her put back
together so she can resemble a car again. When I bought the car, the
previous owner had purchased bright white upholstery for all of the
seats which is still in the boxes. I originally had plans to do a
black and white two tone color scheme, but after having the poor car
sit around for 6 years, I know that isn't what I want.

Okay, so for those of you who skimmed past the rambling intro, here is
my question. Shortly after buying my car, I came across a paint scheme
in a Hot VWs that I loved. It's a two tone paint job with blue
metallic for the main color and a silver blue metallic for the
secondary color. Since it's been 6 years since the article ran, for
all I know, that car isn't even those colors anymore. However, is it
really horrible to use someone else's paint scheme? My car will have a
different colored interior, top, wheels, etc, not to mention being on
the opposite side of the country, but I didn't know if using a paint
scheme someone else has used is horribly tacky, or if it's just one of
those things most people wouldn't notice since two-tone paint schemes
are so common.

My other option is painting may car black and using a red interior like
the older convertibles.

Opinions?

Old May 8th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Michelle wrote:

> My other option is painting may car black and using a red interior like
> the older convertibles.
>
> Opinions?

It's your car and hopefully you will have it around to live with the
colors for a long time. Paint it the way you like it and don't give a
rats ass if anybody else complains.

Tony

Old May 9th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Anthony W wrote:
> Michelle wrote:
>
> > My other option is painting may car black and using a red interior like
> > the older convertibles.
> >
> > Opinions?

> It's your car and hopefully you will have it around to live with the
> colors for a long time. Paint it the way you like it and don't give a
> rats ass if anybody else complains.
>
> Tony

I agree totally.
Go with what looks good to you - you have to drive it, we don't. I
don't think you can plagiarize paint jobs, as it has all been done
before.

www.TheSamba.com 's gallery has some nice bug color schemes.

Remco