1964 1/2 289 electric problem

Old July 27th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
michealyebba

Default 1964 1/2 289 electric problem

I have a 1964.5 289 convertible mustang starting problem. When you turn the
key to the start position the car starts but won't stay running when you let
the key go. I installed a new ignition switch & solenoid but still the same.
A wire in the dash gets hot if I try to hold the key in the start position.

--
Michael J. Yebba

(407)929-4001

Old July 28th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TM

There are actually two circuits going to the coil. And you have only one
working.

When the car is trying to start, the second small terminal on the starter
solenoid is feeding 12V to the Batt side of the coil. This gives you a hot
spark that is hard on the coil and the points. When you release the key,
then the nichrome resistance wire coming from the "on" portion of the
ignition switch takes over and supplies lower resistance to the coil. You
may have a bad ignition switch or the resistance wire has parted somewhere
inside the dash. Disconnect the second terminal of the starter solenoid,
the small one closest to the hood hinge, turn the key on,and start tracing
wires looking for power at the switch and then through the harness.

Old August 1st 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

michealyebba wrote:
> I have a 1964.5 289 convertible mustang starting problem. When you turn the
> key to the start position the car starts but won't stay running when you let
> the key go. I installed a new ignition switch & solenoid but still the same.
> A wire in the dash gets hot if I try to hold the key in the start position.
>
> --
> Michael J. Yebba
>
> (407)929-4001

Bad wire between switch and ignition coil.

Old August 1st 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Old August 2nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Eric[_3_]

The older fords used a 12 volt supply to the coil during starting from the
solenoid, after starting the power comes through a dropping resistor,
usually un the firewall. With the ignition on you should have abour 6 to 8
volts at the coil. Either the wire between the resistor and coil is has an
open, or the wire between the ignition switch and the resistor has an open.
I had the same problem on my 67, good luck.
ups.com...

Electric problem Dana Rohleder Saturn 0 November 15th 05 02:56 AM
Electric problem SBO Saturn 0 November 15th 05 02:25 AM
electric problem david snyder Corvette 4 November 5th 05 01:48 PM
electric window problem chris_newton VW water cooled 1 October 14th 05 09:39 PM
Alfa 164 Electric Window problem Emjay Alfa Romeo 2 July 13th 04 12:42 AM