'77 Corvette

Old May 3rd 09, 01:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
NapalmHeart[_2_]

Default '77 Corvette

I'm going to look at a '77 that I know is going to need a lot of cosmetic work, as the car spent a
lot of time in the sun. Is there anything in particular that I should look for as far as mechanical
or other issues that are particular to this year? The price I'm hearing is $2500, as the guy just
wants to sell it and not be bothered with it. It was his recently passed father's car. This will be
my 1st 'vette.

Thanks for any replies.

Ken

--
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -- Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)

Old May 3rd 09, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
technology...
> I'm going to look at a '77 that I know is going to need a lot of cosmetic
> work, as the car spent a lot of time in the sun. Is there anything in
> particular that I should look for as far as mechanical or other issues
> that are particular to this year? The price I'm hearing is $2500, as the
> guy just wants to sell it and not be bothered with it. It was his
> recently passed father's car. This will be my 1st 'vette.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -- Cornelius
> Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)

Just about everything. This sounds like a project car.

Look close at the rear swing arms , the frame at the rear end., brake and
fuel lines. Mainly frame rot. Check body panels for alignment. Check body
mounts. Drive it and have somebody follow to see if it goes down the road
straight.

Old May 4th 09, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
NapalmHeart[_2_]

"Roy" > wrote in message ...

> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> technology...
>> I'm going to look at a '77 that I know is going to need a lot of cosmetic work, as the car spent
>> a lot of time in the sun. Is there anything in particular that I should look for as far as
>> mechanical or other issues that are particular to this year? The price I'm hearing is $2500, as
>> the guy just wants to sell it and not be bothered with it. It was his recently passed father's
>> car. This will be my 1st 'vette.
>>
>> Thanks for any replies.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>> "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -- Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)

> Just about everything. This sounds like a project car.
>
> Look close at the rear swing arms , the frame at the rear end., brake and fuel lines. Mainly frame
> rot. Check body panels for alignment. Check body mounts. Drive it and have somebody follow to see
> if it goes down the road straight.

Thanks. All sounds very logical.

Old May 4th 09, 12:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
kickstart

On May 4, 7:05*am, "NapalmHeart" > wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in ....
>
> > "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> technology...
> >> I'm going to look at a '77 that I know is going to need a lot of cosmetic work, as the car spent
> >> a lot of time in the sun. *Is there anything in particular that I should look for as far as
> >> mechanical or other issues that are particular to this year? *The price I'm hearing is $2500, as
> >> the guy just wants to sell it and not be bothered with it. *It was his recently passed father's
> >> car. This will be my 1st 'vette.

> >> Thanks for any replies.

> >> Ken

> >> --
> >> "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." -- Cornelius Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)

> > Just about everything. This sounds like a project car.

> > Look close at the rear swing arms , the frame at the rear end., brake and fuel lines. Mainly frame
> > rot. Check body panels for alignment. Check body mounts. Drive it and have somebody follow to see
> > if it goes down the road straight.

> Thanks. *All sounds very logical.- Hide quoted text -

I would be curious as to the bird cage area- the cowling around the
windshield ,firewall and to the frame.
I understand this is a problem on some cars.
My 79 is fine but for some reason I have heard of many that need to be
replaced.
A VERY expensive operation.
Make sure you have this area checked out.

Other than that , there are tons of C-3's in the $2500 range, and few
in the $10-15k range.

Suspension is a major concern.
http://www.vbandp.com/ is your friend here
Motor and power issues are also less than desireable.
Crate motors, rebuilds and LS options are fun to do.
They are great cars but have yet to come into the classic vette price
range, wether buyin or selling.
So plan on enjoying your car, not making money or investing for a
return other than smiles per mile
Old May 4th 09, 03:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
NapalmHeart[_2_]

"kickstart" > wrote in message

I would be curious as to the bird cage area- the cowling around the
windshield ,firewall and to the frame.
I understand this is a problem on some cars.
My 79 is fine but for some reason I have heard of many that need to be
replaced.
A VERY expensive operation.
Make sure you have this area checked out.

Other than that , there are tons of C-3's in the $2500 range, and few
in the $10-15k range.

Suspension is a major concern.
http://www.vbandp.com/ is your friend here
Motor and power issues are also less than desireable.
Crate motors, rebuilds and LS options are fun to do.
They are great cars but have yet to come into the classic vette price
range, wether buyin or selling.
So plan on enjoying your car, not making money or investing for a
return other than smiles per mile

Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I'm going to be kind of on my own with looking at this car.
It's quite a ways out from any mechanics that would likely have much Corvette experience, so getting
it to one of them isn't a likely option. I do plan on it being a mainly a driver, and only secondly
a longer-term investment. I would hate to have to do a bunch of major work just to use it. May as
well save my pennies and buy something that is more likely to have fewer problems, but I won't know
unless I look at it. Hope to do so in the next couple of days.

Ken

Old May 4th 09, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
computertechnology...
Snip

> Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I'm going to be kind of on my
> own with looking at this car. It's quite a ways out from any
> mechanics that would likely have much Corvette experience, so
> getting it to one of them isn't a likely option. I do plan on it
> being a mainly a driver, and only secondly a longer-term investment.
> I would hate to have to do a bunch of major work just to use it.
> May as well save my pennies and buy something that is more likely to
> have fewer problems, but I won't know unless I look at it. Hope to
> do so in the next couple of days.
>
> Ken

Rust in the frame, windshield frame and swing arms have already be
pointed out but don't forget the belly pan. In 1975 when they went to
catalytic converters they also put in a metal belly pan. If you find
rust in any of those places I'd let it go, you're not talking quick
fixes for any of those problems.

Also if it has sat outside for a very long time it's like starting
from scratch and it will be next year and many $$$$ before you get to
drive it. There are rare cases where you can blow up the tires, new
battery, pour in some fresh gas, a little oil in the cylinders, and
fire it up.

Any of the forums for Corvette will have detailed advice about known
problems and how to bring one out of long term storage. Do your home
work and save some time and money.

Good luck

Old May 4th 09, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
computertechnology...

> "kickstart" > wrote in message
>
> Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I'm going to be kind of on my own
> with looking at this car. It's quite a ways out from any mechanics that
> would likely have much Corvette experience, so getting it to one of them
> isn't a likely option. I do plan on it being a mainly a driver, and only
> secondly a longer-term investment. I would hate to have to do a bunch of
> major work just to use it. May as well save my pennies and buy something
> that is more likely to have fewer problems, but I won't know unless I look
> at it. Hope to do so in the next couple of days.
>
> Ken

Ken,

Here's a thought for ya. Especially since you are pretty much on your own.

Join the Corvette Forum he http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php It
doesn't cost anything. Go to the C-3 forum, post where the car is and ask if
anybody who lives in the area would mind looking at it with you. We do that
all the time in the C-6 forum.

There is a ton of info as well as some real knowledgeable folks there..

Roy

Old May 4th 09, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Thrill5

"Roy" > wrote in message ...

> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
> computertechnology...
>>
>> "kickstart" > wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I'm going to be kind of on my own
>> with looking at this car. It's quite a ways out from any mechanics that
>> would likely have much Corvette experience, so getting it to one of them
>> isn't a likely option. I do plan on it being a mainly a driver, and only
>> secondly a longer-term investment. I would hate to have to do a bunch of
>> major work just to use it. May as well save my pennies and buy something
>> that is more likely to have fewer problems, but I won't know unless I
>> look at it. Hope to do so in the next couple of days.
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Ken,
>
> Here's a thought for ya. Especially since you are pretty much on your own.
>
> Join the Corvette Forum he http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php
> It doesn't cost anything. Go to the C-3 forum, post where the car is and
> ask if anybody who lives in the area would mind looking at it with you. We
> do that all the time in the C-6 forum.
>
> There is a ton of info as well as some real knowledgeable folks there..
>
> Roy

I used to be a regular at the CorvetteForum but not for a very long time. I
got a 2 MONTH suspension for making a harmless comment that some moderators
are sometimes a bit overzealous in suspending users and deleting posts that
do not meet the forums guidelines. I won't ever buy anything again from any
vendor that sponsors them, and only go back to see who their sponsors are
before making a Corvette related purchase. They are a private organization
and rely on sponsers to keep them in business and can supsend or ban anyone
for any reason. I have that right too, so I've permanantly suspended their
sponsors from getting any more of my money.

Old May 5th 09, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PDDeen

On May 4, 1:28*pm, "Roy" > wrote:
> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
>
> computertechnology...
>
> > "kickstart" > wrote in message

> > Thanks for pointing this stuff out. *I'm going to be kind of on my own
> > with looking at this car. It's quite a ways out from any mechanics that
> > would likely have much Corvette experience, so getting it to one of them
> > isn't a likely option. *I do plan on it being a mainly a driver, and only
> > secondly a longer-term investment. *I would hate to have to do a bunch of
> > major work just to use it. *May as well save my pennies and buy something
> > that is more likely to have fewer problems, but I won't know unless I look
> > at it. *Hope to do so in the next couple of days.

> > Ken

> Ken,
>
> Here's a thought for ya. Especially since you are pretty much on your own..
>
> Join the Corvette Forum hehttp://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php* It
> doesn't cost anything. Go to the C-3 forum, post where the car is and ask if
> anybody who lives in the area would mind looking at it with you. We do that
> all the time in the C-6 forum.
>
> There is a ton of info as well as some real knowledgeable folks there..
>
> Roy

You don't say where you are, where the car has lived or how it was
taken care of. If it is in the north-northeast where they use salt as
a primary road base it could be very bad but, if it came for the south-
southwest it could be a deal. If the car is driveable, has no MAJOR
cosmetic problems and you like it -- go for it. It could be a great
place to start ownership of a great automobile brand. I've had '63,
'64, '72', '79 and '94 and they have all been great in their own way.
The '63 had 262,000 miles when I sold it and the buyer drove it non-
stop from Dallas to Seattle with no problems. A car that has been
maintained can do a lot for you.

PDDeen
Lifetime Member, Corvette Club of Texas
Founding Member, National Corvette Museum
Old May 5th 09, 12:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

"Thrill5" > wrote in message

> "Roy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "NapalmHeart" > wrote in message
>> computertechnology...
>>>
>>> "kickstart" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing this stuff out. I'm going to be kind of on my own
>>> with looking at this car. It's quite a ways out from any mechanics that
>>> would likely have much Corvette experience, so getting it to one of them
>>> isn't a likely option. I do plan on it being a mainly a driver, and
>>> only secondly a longer-term investment. I would hate to have to do a
>>> bunch of major work just to use it. May as well save my pennies and buy
>>> something that is more likely to have fewer problems, but I won't know
>>> unless I look at it. Hope to do so in the next couple of days.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>

>> Ken,
>>
>> Here's a thought for ya. Especially since you are pretty much on your
>> own.
>>
>> Join the Corvette Forum he http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php
>> It doesn't cost anything. Go to the C-3 forum, post where the car is and
>> ask if anybody who lives in the area would mind looking at it with you.
>> We do that all the time in the C-6 forum.
>>
>> There is a ton of info as well as some real knowledgeable folks there..
>>
>> Roy

> I used to be a regular at the CorvetteForum but not for a very long time.
> I got a 2 MONTH suspension for making a harmless comment that some
> moderators are sometimes a bit overzealous in suspending users and
> deleting posts that do not meet the forums guidelines. I won't ever buy
> anything again from any vendor that sponsors them, and only go back to see
> who their sponsors are before making a Corvette related purchase. They
> are a private organization and rely on sponsers to keep them in business
> and can supsend or ban anyone for any reason. I have that right too, so
> I've permanantly suspended their sponsors from getting any more of my
> money.

Doesn't take away from the fact that there is a bunch of info one can
obtained there.

Gotta remember that it is a private forum and as such as rules, as
objectionable as they may be ya gotta play by them.