Smell and Noise After Flush & Fill

Old April 8th 05, 05:19 AM
Arthur

Default Smell and Noise After Flush & Fill

Last autumn, I had a rad flush and fill done on my 99 Intrepid, 3.2 liter.
Since that time, I've noticed two symptoms which although are tolerable,
leave me wondering. One is a burning smell when the engine gets hot, and is
completely localized to the front end and mostly noticeable after the engine
is turned off. I figured it might be some coolant which splashed onto the
manifold or something and would burn off, but the smell is still there. The
second symptom is a sloshing sound under the driver's side of the dash which
is only heard when the engine is cold and the car is in motion. The sound
disappears after about a minute. Otherwise, everything seems OK.

Any thoughts about these symptoms would be appreciated.

Arthur

Old April 8th 05, 11:11 AM
Bill Putney

Arthur wrote:
> Last autumn, I had a rad flush and fill done on my 99 Intrepid, 3.2 liter.
> Since that time, I've noticed two symptoms which although are tolerable,
> leave me wondering. One is a burning smell when the engine gets hot, and is
> completely localized to the front end and mostly noticeable after the engine
> is turned off. I figured it might be some coolant which splashed onto the
> manifold or something and would burn off, but the smell is still there. The
> second symptom is a sloshing sound under the driver's side of the dash which
> is only heard when the engine is cold and the car is in motion. The sound
> disappears after about a minute. Otherwise, everything seems OK.
>
> Any thoughts about these symptoms would be appreciated.
>
> Arthur

Checked coolant level in pressure bottle (open for top off only when
engine cool)? These systems generally clear themselves of air pockets
with an hour or so of non-idle running, but not always. Use the air
bleeder valve (looks exactly like a brake bleeder valve) on top of the
engine when system is pressurized to make sure any air is bled out
(after making sure pressure bottle is filled to proper level).

Look for signs of leak at radiator drain, hose connections, holes in
hoses, and the bleeder valve itself (they can get damaged if
overtightened). It could be a water pump leak, but that would be very
coincidental following the flush and fill.

Any small leaks should be obvious with dried residue.

BTW - what type of antifreeze did they use?

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')