Spare tire mounted sub woofer?

Old January 25th 05, 06:57 PM

Default Spare tire mounted sub woofer?

Thank you to everyone for the great links and advice on putting some
real sound into my XJ. Here are two last questions:

1) Has anyone ever seen a 10" 3way woofer mounted INSIDE the rim of the
spare tire? If so, was the mounting hardware custom or off the shelf?

2) Is there room under the back seat for an amp plus capaciter? How
about for a CD Changer?

Thanks again!!!!!!

Old January 25th 05, 09:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have done things like that, but, it's rather like putting the
strings of a guitar across your spare tire without the acoustical box
that bring them to life.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 25th 05, 10:31 PM
Jasonp

There are some free air subs that might work better for what he's trying to
do.
like this:
http://www.actionaudiousa.com/kenwoo...-free-air-sub-
woofer-700w-peak-power-prod556.html

Old January 26th 05, 01:15 AM
Endo

1- No, not in an XJ. From what I remember from my old XJ there isn't enough
room...the bracket is directly behind the tire and no relal room on the
front with the rim. Try searching for a pre-made box from Q-Logic or one of
those places that makes something to fit in the concave panel on the
opposite side(like this:
http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/products/q...productID=6445 )
.. Also, a woofer is not '3way.' Usually that is only seen on 5x7 or 6x9
speakers, beacuse there is a woofer, midrange, and tweeter all in one
package. Being 3 seperate speakers in one is where the term 3-way or
triaxial comes from. A sub box that is advertised as 3-way probably has
midranges and tweeters installed along with the woofers and is probably a
cheap Wal-Mart piece of **** and you shouldn't buy it. Go to

2- Yeah should be. I mounted my distribution box for power under there and
a cap should fit beside it. Doesn't the jack stow under there? I don't
remember but if it does you'll have to deal with that. Otherwise an amp
could fit but you should measure it first, then go amp shopping second.
Same for a cd changer, get the dimensions and build a cardboard mock-up if
you want to be extra certain. All three would be a tight fit, you probably
will have to pick on thing to be left out.

3- Good luck and post pics once you get it all figured out!

Shawn

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 01:17 AM
Endo

Free air subs still need two separate air spaces, like if you mounted them
to the rear deck. They also work good for much smaller boxes than normal
subs too. Either way the front and rear of the sub must still be isolated
from each other.

Shawn

Old January 28th 05, 08:24 PM
Lee Ayrton

Bring the music to life? In my neighborhood subwoofers are only there to
make Toyota body panels rattle. That and to drown out my TV.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Swing Away Spare Tire James Hilins Jeep 6 January 5th 05 11:33 PM
spare tire jack? soni29 Honda 2 December 15th 04 05:30 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM
FS: Spare Super Swamper Off-Road Tire wheel and rack Must go ASAP! Hip 4x4 0 August 17th 04 03:21 PM
getting spare tire off of a Plymouth Voyager...? Help! fear General 3 February 15th 04 04:30 PM